Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Bath, Somerset*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Bath.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Even the famous choose to live on the outskirts of this very over rated city.
Plenty of local celebs though... Claiming to be disabled to rake in the Benefits!!
- you forget John Nettles mid somer murders and bergerac he lives in pultney street
- johnny depp just bought a house here
- Jonny depp is buying a house here and is spotted in local pubs.
- saw midge ure in glasshouse garage last nite
- Top British Modern Pentathlete Sam Weale lives in Bath and trains at Bath Uni. Also Bath has some top breakdancers: Force (he has performed at Glastonbury and his crew won the Welsh Open and he came second in the 2003 Student Champs), also other breakers- Paddy and Toast have performed in some top shows.
- Will Gregory, off of (most recently) Goldfrapp. A truly amazing, talented and sound geeza.
- heard johnny depp bought a house in st james square?? anyone seen him?
- Bill Bailey (comidean), Ann Widdecome(MP) and Andy Robiunson (engalnd rugby coach) r all from bath
- Er... you really want me to start a huge list?
Andrew Lincoln, actor
Tears For Fears
Jane Austin (doh!)
Bloke from Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Rupert)
Peter Gabriel (technically, lives in nearby Box. No, not 'a box', but the town Box.)
Ann Widdecombe - why oh why???
John Wood, architect
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
John Locke, 17th century philosopher
Lord Clive of India.
Adelard, born in Bath around 1080, was the medieval mathematician renowned for his role in the introduction of Hindu/Arabic numerals and the concept of zero to the Western world.
- The lady called GOLDFRAPP lives in bath and has a favorite pub in a local village called Norton St.Phillip. If it's true that Johnny Depp has a house here it'll make my day.
- giles from buffy!
- Jason Cooper (The Cures drummer) lives in Bath.
- Van Morrison
- You missed a major one! Nena Cheery used to own a house in Bath (may still do). Always very chatty apparently.
- Leslie Crowther lived for years in Corston, about 4 miles outside Bath. He died some time in the 90s. Jimmy Choo supposedly lives in the Royal Crescent. Loads of stage actors performed over the years at the Theatre Royal, including Lionel Blair. What about Jeremy Guscott, grew up in Batheaston. And other stars of the national rugby team who played for Bath.
- giles from buffy lives just outside bath and is quite often seen in town!. jonny depp is also known to have a second home here and loves it!
- andy robinson-the new england rugby captain
- The Zen Hussies are from Bath, wow!!!!!!
- Ken Loach no longer lives in Bath. Tears for Fears boys grew up in Bath. Shoe designer Manolo Blahnik lives in Bath. Midge Ure lives near Bath. Hugh Cornwell from the Stranglers came from Bath and the cover of their single Strange Little Girl is taken with the view of Bath in the background.
- truda who stabbed a kitten on vets in practise!
- Cardiff City Footballers: PETER THORNE, ANDREW CAMPBELL, CHRIS BARKER, GARETH WHALLEY & JAMES COLLINS ARE IN BATH REGUALY.
ALSO ARSENAL PLAYER EDU SPOTTED
- Tony Head (Buffy) doesnt llive in Bath, he lives in Timsbury which is about 10 miles away from Bath.
- apparently someone in brookside was an ex-dweller in bath, tell your friends, they're dying to know.
- Nobody has put Jonathan Dimbleby, Prince Charles lives close, the blokes that did the hair and makeup for Lord of the Rings. In town you might see Robbie, Will Young, Johny Depp and Orlando Bloom who like the bars and Geri Halliwell and former S-Club poppies who like the shopping. I was at a charity fashion show last week and saw Miss Scotland, TV presenter Ali Vowls, radio broadcaster Graham Alexander and Tanya who is the voice you hear doing the announcements on the London Underground. Jane Seymour has a house here too.
- Antiba (http://www.antiba.co.uk) all currently reside in Bath! I saw Steve in Somerfields the other day!
- Bath has always had Jazz so no surpise to find Jamie Cullum and Claire Teale hail from here. Christopher Frayling, now the head of the Arts Council, lives up Widcombe Hill. Plenty of sporting heros - Colin Jackson, hurdler, used to train here, Olympic medalists Kate Howey, Stephanie Cook and Kate Allenby also. You'll find half the England swimming team doing something slightly more exotic than the Doggy Paddle in the University swimming pool. Jason Gardner one of the world's fastest over 60m also to be found up at Claverton Down. Watch out for the mad ones that go down ice slopes on tea trays and bobsleighs. They train here as well.
- Loads of people - esp famous local author John Wroughton
- Claytown Troupe, 80's alternative rock group who were signed to Island & EMI records toured with The Cult & Pearl Jam
- apparently that bloke from tears for fears lives there sometimes. obviously that's pushing the 'celeb' bit though...
- Michael Jackson
- apparently johnny depp has a house in lansdown.
anthony head who is some character in Buffy.we saw him walking past ann summers.
jane seymour had a house in bath....kindof.
peter gabriel lives in box
zoe ball and norman cook got married in bath
crispian mills of kula shaker fame often seen in harvest/waitrose
tears for fears come from bath.snow hill to be precise.
- hugh grant and liz hurley live outside bath,truda the swedish vet,bloke outta buffy,
- You've forgotten William Herschel he lived in Queens Square a couple of centuries ago and discovered Uranus in 1781.
- Camilla Parker Bowles has been known to step out.
A lot of bands stay in Seymour's mansion whilst recording albums including Radiohead I believe
- Manolo Blahnik - Bath cobbler to those sexy city girls and an awfull lot of international fashion shows. Retrospective exhibition at Design Museum, London.
If you want cheap shoes go to the market - his aren't!
Ian Lidell of Buro Happold - one of the foremost structural engineers in the country - Millennium Dome, Glasgow Science Tower etc. If it's outrageous and challenging he probably did the structural side.
Midge Ure from Ultravox lives just outside as does Hugh Cornwal late of the Stranglers.
- Giles from Buffy lives in Timsbury and I've seen him around Bath with his kids quite a lot
- I think the Stranglers come from Bath too ? saw Hywel bennett in town once.
- Hot Dog Jackson. Rock Star!!!!!!!!1
- Simon bloody Parkin of Bath FM fame lives here. Saw him walking down the road in a wax jacket with a baguette under his arm. Know where i'd like to have stuck it...
- Pere Hamill, Van Morrison, Peter Gabriel, that geezer out of
- Jonathon Dimbleby & Bel Mooney
- Tony Head (Buffy), Van Morrison, Hugh Grant and Liz Hurley
- Andrew Lincoln of That's Life, went to Beechen Cliff
Coffee ad bloke who plays Giles on Buffy
- Can't believe nobody has mentioned the legendary Stackridge, from whom came the Corgis and later the Buggles. Ahhhh those were the days... real music......
- Giles from buffy skulks around sometimes, causing all preteenagers into a wild frenzy and that guy from this life, Egg, lives here.
- VAN MORRISON, AND PETER GABRIEL AND BEAU NASH
- Jane Austen
- so whoever is writing about deja voodoo..whats up? deja voodoo...get back to the 80's ....your sound is dead.
- I saw the Deja voodoos the other day - God they are so good looking! - I think the person who said they were old and washed up has to get their facts straight, they have only been around for about a year and they ROCK!!!!!!! - if you ever see them get an autograph while you can- before they are too famous to get to!!!!!
- I cant believe no one has yet mentioned The Propeller Heads: there the only decent thing to come out of Bath since ...well-ever. Oh and there's that band Silversun. Plus at the moment the band Snowhill.
- I seem to see the Deja Voodoos around quite a lot
- Lived there for 21 years. I've never clapped eyes on a celeb.
If you're a tourist p,raps you're more likely to look
- That band The Deja Voodoos ,if anyone remembers them, live in Bath and regularly strut through the streets expecting us to run up and ask for autographs.
- Excellent place for star spotting - they think that they are inconspicuous walking through our dear streets but boy are they wrong, they couldn't stick out more!!!! e'g' Richard Ashcroft - like he could get away with it!!!
- All the old washed out soap stars visit at panto time.
- Every middle aged womens dream:Simon Sheppard from Peak Practice and his wife, who did all the costumes for 'Elizabeth' own a massive house in Bath. The American bloke from AbFab ( the dad) lives in Southstoke.
- Cripian from Kula Shaker. Oh and I saw Richard Ashcroft and the girl from Spiritulized on Milsom Street.
- Tears for fears came from Bath
- J.R. Chisman WWI Fighter pilot and car hire pioneer.
- Liz Hurley, Hugh Grant.
- Had my haircut next to Van Morrison once and got really pissed up with Patrick McGoohan.
- Once saw Paula Yates and Michael Hutchence in WH SMITH (of all places)
- Leslie Crowther used to shop in Waitrose
- Plenty of famous rugby players obviously - most of England team can be spotted at one time or another erm, oh and Peter Gabriel has been known to drive through town in his sports car as well.
- Van Morrison, Peter Gabriel, Keith Waterhouse, Leo McKern
- My friend met Seal in Sainsburys once.
- Hidden links with Simply Red.
- Rolf Harris visits a bit.
- Soap stars(?) every Christmas at the Theatre Royal.
- There are a few film makers around. Ken Loach lives here and David Puttnam just outside. Also a chap called Paul Weiland who did the Mr Bean series (and City Slicker II - but I'm not sure that's a recommendation!)
- Malthus ("The Malthusian Doctrine") died in Bath and is buried in Bath Abbey.
- Lord Bath - mad bloke, famous for his eccentric behaviour and outfits. Has decorated his home in the most bizarre fashion!
- I once saw Cheggers on the High Street and a couple of my mates saw Lionel Blair in Boots.
- Jane Seymore has a very big house that you can rent in the summer Only 14000 a week??? Call Challenger Int @ 01225 445 445 ask for Mr Edwards
- Consider yourself lucky if you don't see Van Morrison eating. Should be kept in an aquarium when not onstage.
- Famous comedian IAN COGNITO now resides here, and has done for years
- Mick Haggard, vocalist of the Rolling Clones lives in Bath. The Clones became local (and national) heroes when they were sued by their mentors over copyright of the band's name.
- Peter Gabriel lives a few miles out of time. (Or at least he did when I was at school, about 1983.)
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: TRISTAN, steve holder, Caveat Emptor, charles, mark carney, ellen, jeremy hobbs, rooster, Chris, bob draper, Kit J. Brentwood, Bill Clarke, danny tugwell, Tom Hemming, Dan Harris, Jonathan Gerrish, Steveo, Mark Sparrow, Harreh`, phylis, Charlie Moat, Claire, alex, hatz, lauren, ls, lord isalord, Barbara, Emma R, fliss ingram, Drew, Mallory, Andrew, jimbob, Jim Grimmett, whitlock, Roger Houghton, Gareth Dennis-Jones, Steven Morgan, Philip Andrews, nicola, Lisa, Paddy, Bath Baroque, CLIVE BROWNE, Jo Hartland, Mark Burge, ADAM HOWARTH, alan, the long haired guy, garnett, the cookie mansta, Linzi, Gail Welborn, Sarah withers, Leilo, s, trumbernick, H, James Ellis, Simon Gough, mark jones, Gary, Phil W, Sam, Triz, Malcolm King, nubia and asanti abaka, Philipp Herrlinger, Rob Matty, Ellen Stafford, TimR, Hanna, tina, LOpezzz, random, joceline bury, doghouse, Tira, Alex Peters, Hereward, duncan, ron jeremy, Tom Newsom, Kate, jay, Matt Batstone, nell, ben, rush, Scott Doel, Lorna, Helen Ramjutton, Lucy Malsbury, Epona, Frank Blades, kingman, Delia, sammy sailor, Des, mark, Phineas Kibbey, Matt, Jim, digger, damon edhouse, Stu Hobbs, James Swidenbank, Henners, Ian Lanning, Becky, Bryn&Dan, Sara, Madeleine, stewart ritchie, julian lewis, Me, dave, jon discharge, Rodney Burton, noel taylor, Ag, Scott, Andy Peters, Louis Rugani, lou, STEPHEN nippard, Charlie P, sausages, Brian Moore, Barney Hunt, Richard Wooster, Paul, kirsty, kev, Aaron Burns, LCParkes, Heather, Presser life, Vikii, anon, Giles White, D. Simon, Jamie Williams, Tony, bobby cheeks, Jo Dolby, WhorePants, Sash, T, Jeremy, jason from santa cruz ca usa, max, Sagitta, mez ferguson, Fran, alex black, jax, Bifkin, Helen Child Villiers, john, Bob Solid, Laura James, vera beer, Duncan Martin, andy russell, robertsalad, generic, adrian john, Tris Emery, Katie, Katie Scearce, Michael, Kristin, Alex H, Sian G, joe wade, Steve Carter, Sarah, rob, Flit, Jennifer Alvis, Alix, pippers, Seb Pecchia, Rachel, Simon Matthews, Della, gotyg, stuart, Jonathon sherrard, Callum, jaimie, Hannah, A.B., Myles Gallagher, Nellanie Sasiwannapong, The Fles, aimee, sam neal, Kieran Weisberg
Last updated: 2013-05-20
More stuff about Bath
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Bath Knowhere Board