Cheap Food in Bath, Somerset*
Corner eateries, quick bites and the local chippy
You can tell us more about Bath.
- www.toppertable.co.uk has a list of reviews of local restaurants and cafes for an by local people. Good reference if you're looking for somewhere to eat!
- Mr D's on lower bristol road or sometimes bottom of milsom street in the evenings - have the chicken burger & mayo!!
- Yak Yeti Yak .... lovely food and particularly good for veggies. Moving early 2008 to go where the Wife Of Bath is near the police station.
- Thai Passion, nice relaxed restaurant in Limpley Stoke, near bath, by the river and canal, 6 the bridge, limpley stoke, 01225 723150
- The bengal brasserie (before it burned down was fab for cheap indian. La baguette on the high street for cheap sandwhiches, Al falafel for the best kebab in bath and the royal oak freehouse for the best sunday roast!!
- Thyme - sandwich place down near cinema (don't know street name) excellent value - lovely breads crammed with delicious fillings.
- Subways if you're feeling healthy if not McDonalds or Burger King and there is also a KFC
- BOG ISLAND
- WHAT! a shop on upper bristol rd 5 2ltr bottle of sprite £1!!!!
- The Chinese Buffet in the Podium, the Lebanese ditto in the ditto, Fishworks in green Street. Best sandwich/deli is Goodies in Larkhall
- Recently visited Bath and stumbled on a fabulous authentic italian in probably the best position ever, right on the weir, food was fantastic, view superb and atmosphere great, definitely recommend it.
Il Tocca D' Italia
- bongy bo for noodles and quiche, adventure cafe for amazing sandwhiches, retro for cooked brekfasts, Ask has the most amazing spagetti carbonara and bruchetta and has a great atmosphere, the pizzas and cookies and cream cheesecake is delectable! if you want slightly cheaper italian food then the cafe piazza in the podium is nice, for idian i reccomend the desh in weston although a little outof town it does the best onion bajis, for chinease go to the ocean pearl which is an all you can eat buffet in the podium and the food is delicious, for chinease takeaway the golden dragon is good and delivers to the door until late. las iguanas is also very good for mexican and does nice pitchers, good for large groups, very good curly fries and nachos.
- all a complete rip off, except southern fried chicken and schwartz bros-we love you!!
- Go to the fish and chips shop near the theatre royal (its the one with all those stupid stickers like my ex-wife rides a broom in it) and ask for scampi.
- burger king
- The drunk truck! Don't find it... it will find you!
- pizza hut pizza express
- CHOOZER - TOP KEBABS & CHICKEN
Takeaway food co
- The Wife of Bath, near the Station. Home-cooked lovely food!
Grappa Bar - OK not a restaurant but they do the best pizzas ever - each £8.
Cafe Martini - lovely Italian.
and Shwartz Bros every time!
- subway, brilliant
- That indian place on lower bristol rd that used to be called" the balti house" jaflong...thats the one!!!
christ thats good ....and cheap!!!
- Save Schwartz Bros, get yourselves to the Takeaway Food Coy in Larkhall for the best burgers and meal deals in town - and for better value!
- Re-Opened THE HOLE IN THE WALL
Having just looked at your web site, we would like to be recommended.
Under New Ownership, Executive Chef Gerry Dowd [Previously of The Waterside Inn in Bray 3 Michelin Stars, Paris House and L’Otalan]
Is offering a lunch and pre-theatre menu £9.95 and a supper menu of 2 courses £18.95 and £23.00 for 3 courses.
If you have any queries, please get back to us
‘ It’s good to see the Hole in the Wall back on its feet, with new vitality and an obvious commitment to making it one of Bath’s best restaurants again. The menu changes regularly to keep things fresh and the service was exceptionally attentive and friendly. We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening and hope to see the new Hole in the wall become an old favourite again.’
THE BATH MAGAZINE MARCH 2004
- cafe shoon deals in good food, but just don't bother at about 1230 til 2 weekdays, or saturday all day as it gets rammed and the hardworkin' peeps behind the fridges get really tired by close.
and 'the takeaway food co.' in larkhall are such, such sound blokes who sort you out niiiice burgers (and wicked veggied boigers too mind) so damn quickly that we bought them a 6pack when we left. yep, they're that good. serious.
- sally lunns woodland pork is quality. in fact, all the deserts are lush aswell. im lovin it.
- fish and chips resteraunt and takeway near kingsmead carpark.
- pizza express is very nice, schwartz make the BEST burgers in town.the best burgers infact anywhere.
the bath priory does nice afternoon tea.very posh though.
- rat and parrot...delicious!
OOOOOOHHHHHH the INDIAN on chelsea road! get a chicken tikka masala MMMMMM with special rice!!!
litten tree...cheaper than the rest and quite tasty!!
- Well if you're a veggie, looking for somewhere reasonable to eat, where you don't have to worry whether the food really is veggie, try the Porter in George Street. Everything is either veggie or vegan, and there's nothing over a fiver. Looking at the menu, almost everything is home cooked, and having eaten there loads of times, I can believe it - it is all really tasty - delicious even. Everything from Nachos to lasagne to mushroom pies, and the all-day breakfast is totally wicked.
- The Walrus and Carpenter is great, it's up from Theatre Royal towards Queen Square
- Martini's on George Street (top of Milsom Street) is the best for Italian food - it's posh and beautiful!
- The Manhattan (burgers etc) and The Ruposhi (Quality Curries) both take-aways, both on Widcombe High-Street
- Curry Mahal on Lansdown - the best curries in Bath, friendly and cheap too
- Retro take away, Desh in Chelsea Rd (Weston) - best Indian - restaurant and take away, Marmaris (Turkish - eat in), Mai Thai, Moon and Sixpence (nice but a bit pricey), Tilley's Bistro, Demuth's (excellent veggie restaurant - and I like meat).
- Forgot to mention - Schwarz Brothers take away - the best burgers ever - including vege or bean burgers.
- "Sands" (Lebanese Restaurant, opposite Loch Fyne fish restaurant) is really good. Order Mezzas for starters, which are mostly vegetarian, and great for sharing. There are also a couple of veggie main courses on the menu. There's also plenty of meat: the chicken is very good.
- Everywhere is too expensive, But the two Swartx Brothers have the most gorgeous burgers known to mankind. KFC, Macdonalds etc etc, is to be avoided if you value getting out of bath alive.
- SCHWARTZBURGER 'NUFF SAID....
- The fish and chip shop along the road from the Theatre Royal
- The best I could find was Waitrose!
- Go to The Rat and Parrot and have one of their meals to share, onion rings, spare ribs, battered prawns etc. Between 2 if you're both really hungry!
- Schwartz Bros. and Mr Ds are best in Bath but the best burgers I've ever tasted are about 20 minutes drive from Bath in Charcoal Grill in Keynsham.
- Bens Cookies - wow, but way too expensive. if you can't afford it just walk past and inhale the cookie fumes
- Avoid the dodgy burger vans after the clubs kick out
- The Fudge Kitchen give out free samples if you're a scab.
- You cannot beat Mamaris and Mr D's
- Marmaris, great kebabs and mezzes or whatever that mixed everything is called.
GreenPark Brasserie, lots of live jazz and fresh food.
- Harvest Wholefood store - take away foods. At the bottom (town) end of Walcot Street. It's the dog's bollocks, if you're a vegetarian.
- Schwartz Burgers. Walcot Street
- Tasty One - Sandwich/Baguette take away. Walcot Street
- I think Mr D's at 8 St Georges Place, Upper Bristol Road, definitely deserves a mention. I lived next door for a year and have to say that their burgers are the best. They have also got a chicken burger shop and a mobile van at the bottom of Milsom Street (although they are nicer from the shop).
- Schwarz Bros., the dog's bollocks for burgers.
- Marmaris, best kebabs in south-west.
- As someone who finds almost every doner kebab foul and inedible, its worth my mentioning that Bath Charcoal Grill, near the fire station and Henrietta Gardens, does the best kebabs I've ever tasted anywhere.
- T.B.F. - The Burger Factory (Seven Dials and Larkhall) serve bison and boar burgers as well as very meaty tasting vegeburgers.
- Lotus House - (Larkhall) Great cheap chinese.
- Golden Plaice - (Cleveland Bridge) Fish and chips.
- The food in Grapes is really nice and also really cheap. 1/4 pounder with chips is just £1.49 and with a coke it is still cheaper than a McDonalds extra value meal.
- Caffe Martini - (George Street) Best Italian - cheap, traditional.
- Old Orleans - (Bartlett Street) Best Tex-Mex - big portions, cocktails.
- Sukothai - (Walcot Street) Best Thai - pricey but excellent.
- Maxons - (Laura Place/Argyle Street) All Sorts - good for parties.
- Pizza Express (Saw Close) - Traditional and cheap.
- For great food at decent prices try the Wife of Bath on Pierpont Street.
- Bengal Brasserie full stop
- Superb, very sexy take-away called 'Devon Savouries' (at bottom of milsom st. plus in L. Borough Walls (nr M&S). Excellent quality food, very reasonable, plus good veggie choice, call in for a tasty hot snack, Cheese & Bacon Bakeover, spinach florentine or Mixed cheese baguette is an absolute must!!!!
- Eastern Eye is good Indian in a fabulous room - an ex-bank being out to infinitely better use.
- Want a hamburger? Give McDonald's and Burger King a wide berth, and ask one of the locals where to find Schwartz Bros. The best I've ever had.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: TRISTAN, steve holder, Caveat Emptor, charles, mark carney, ellen, jeremy hobbs, rooster, Chris, bob draper, Kit J. Brentwood, Bill Clarke, danny tugwell, Tom Hemming, Dan Harris, Jonathan Gerrish, Steveo, Mark Sparrow, Harreh`, phylis, Charlie Moat, Claire, alex, hatz, lauren, ls, lord isalord, Barbara, Emma R, fliss ingram, Drew, Mallory, Andrew, jimbob, Jim Grimmett, whitlock, Roger Houghton, Gareth Dennis-Jones, Steven Morgan, Philip Andrews, nicola, Lisa, Paddy, Bath Baroque, CLIVE BROWNE, Jo Hartland, Mark Burge, ADAM HOWARTH, alan, the long haired guy, garnett, the cookie mansta, Linzi, Gail Welborn, Sarah withers, Leilo, s, trumbernick, H, James Ellis, Simon Gough, mark jones, Gary, Phil W, Sam, Triz, Malcolm King, nubia and asanti abaka, Philipp Herrlinger, Rob Matty, Ellen Stafford, TimR, Hanna, tina, LOpezzz, random, joceline bury, doghouse, Tira, Alex Peters, Hereward, duncan, ron jeremy, Tom Newsom, Kate, jay, Matt Batstone, nell, ben, rush, Scott Doel, Lorna, Helen Ramjutton, Lucy Malsbury, Epona, Frank Blades, kingman, Delia, sammy sailor, Des, mark, Phineas Kibbey, Matt, Jim, digger, damon edhouse, Stu Hobbs, James Swidenbank, Henners, Ian Lanning, Becky, Bryn&Dan, Sara, Madeleine, stewart ritchie, julian lewis, Me, dave, jon discharge, Rodney Burton, noel taylor, Ag, Scott, Andy Peters, Louis Rugani, lou, STEPHEN nippard, Charlie P, sausages, Brian Moore, Barney Hunt, Richard Wooster, Paul, kirsty, kev, Aaron Burns, LCParkes, Heather, Presser life, Vikii, anon, Giles White, D. Simon, Jamie Williams, Tony, bobby cheeks, Jo Dolby, WhorePants, Sash, T, Jeremy, jason from santa cruz ca usa, max, Sagitta, mez ferguson, Fran, alex black, jax, Bifkin, Helen Child Villiers, john, Bob Solid, Laura James, vera beer, Duncan Martin, andy russell, robertsalad, generic, adrian john, Tris Emery, Katie, Katie Scearce, Michael, Kristin, Alex H, Sian G, joe wade, Steve Carter, Sarah, rob, Flit, Jennifer Alvis, Alix, pippers, Seb Pecchia, Rachel, Simon Matthews, Della, gotyg, stuart, Jonathon sherrard, Callum, jaimie, Hannah, A.B., Myles Gallagher, Nellanie Sasiwannapong, The Fles, aimee, sam neal, Kieran Weisberg
Last updated: 2010-06-24
More stuff about Bath
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Bath Knowhere Board