Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Blantyre, South Lanarkshire*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Blantyre.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- The McConnells. Blantyre's very own celebrity family. Partied everyday of their lifes.
- Pat McGinley. Famous throughout Blantyre......and some other parts of Lanarkshire!
- John McQuiston, has been on Taggart, adverts, was taxi driver in trainspotting, and various other scottish programmes
- David Livingston (Anthropologist & Religious Missionary to Africa)
Mark McManus (Taggart to you and me)
Sean McManus (Lead singer of "Sweet" 70s band and brother of Mark)
Moira Stuart (BBC news reader)
Paul Cooney (Radio Clyde Broadcaster)
Mixu Paatelainen (Dundee Utd player....originally born in Blantyre !!)
Barnes Wallace (Inventor of the Bouncing Bomb WWII)
Eddie McVey (first Scotsman in space...originally Born in Blantyre)
- I am loathed to read this but feel that i must make a point in response to the garbage that has been left on here by what i can only assume are the adolecents that give Blantyre the bad image it now has. Blantyre when i was younger was not the "ned housing, jakey packing" place it used to be. Only in the last 10-15 years since the emergance of the kids born around 1985-1990 has the place went to rack and ruin. They need, and i mean this, a right good belting. When we were young, there was the old coop bakery (or coal bing) in Auchinraith road. This was great for playing tig, one-man and soldiers. Now it is a housing estate, but my point is that we had great fun and did not vandalise the place, or drink, or take drugs. All this stuff about "theres nothing to do" that todays youth complain about is nonsense. They DONT want to do anything else, but hang out on corners, drink, get trollied and then smash their empty bottles over each others heads. Another thing that we did when we were young was play in a footie league that consisted of "street teams". (ie Calder street, coldstream street, the crescents etc..) all played each other in parks around blantyre. It was great. However after stumbling on this site whilst researching the history of Blantyre, i read theough most of the comments left and it makes me really angry that the degenerates that have left their "opinions" are running the place down... Blantyre is actually a good town with jobs a plenty.. their is an excellent sports centre, good shopping centre and some great football players have emerged from the youth teams of the 80's like chealsea boys club, aston villa BC and Aberdeen BC. I think it is about high time the youth of Blantyre stopped being so bloody negative and started to try and give Blantyre a good image again. I dont live here anymore but i can honestly say that it does have some good take away food places, one or two good pubs and an average local football team. It is VERY historic, with the Livingstone centre and the old mining disaster, and the druids circle (most of the wee neds wont even know that exists, its kept secret to stop them ruining that too) and i conclude with this: Blantyre is a good place to live, perhaps if the previous people whom have left their "opinions" on here were to put their bottles of cider or buckie down, hire a book from the library (yes it has one!) and go for a walk then they might just discover another side to blantyre they didnt know..!
ps.. they might even learn something too...!
- Jeannie Scratcher - she used to walk around collecting cans and talking away to her self. - bless.
Davie Panescus - he is still going, is he still doing that coin trick where he drops it into his turn up..???
Crazy Norman - this guy would literally chase you for miles, if he got you, you were sorry..! (real nutcase from Maxwell crescent)
The happy place - possibly the best chinease takeaway ever to grace Blantyre. Was situated down beside the old post office, across from the sports centre. closed now.. :(
Wee dicks - a shop that used to be on Craig street - now a hair dressers called "hair connection"... wow, the best chopped pork ever!
cathie little - the legendary shop owner in victoria street. she was a true legend- enough said.
the red lion pub - use to be on Stonefield road.
Mickeys cafe - another legend in Blantyre. A quarter of midget gems pls..!
lightbodys - used to be down at asda - possibly the greatest chip buttie ever for your school lunch.
capital - the worst frozen food place and possibly the companys biggest mistake to open in blantyre. Can claim to be the most robbed shop in Blantyre.
Zigfields - only the kids of the 70's and older will remember this place... it is now a nursing home across from caspers...
Caspers - does anyone know of anyone who actually went there...?
- most locked up
- Fled or Ryan Fletcher
- the woman with the dog who colleceted the cans,and jeanie scratcher remember them?
- DAVID LIVI
- the legend of BIG NAN will last forever, and for people that went to blantyre high do you remember the old lady that used to scavange the bins for cans at 3:30.
- John McNulty - You may have seen him walking the highs & lows of Lanarkshire on his never ending quest for the cure to high cholestorol!
- Britannia (As in the burd on the old 50p) was from Blantyre. Ask the members of Blantyre's tenancy Group or whatever it's called. YES, there are actually people proud of the history of Blantyre and research it weekly in a group!
- Are we not all sick of hearing how David Livingstone came fae Tyre? Well it p***es me right off.
- David Livingston,
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: KERRY, Michael Berryman, Jamie Aitken, ghjfajin, Lisa McGinley, rudi, (select convert(int,CHAR(65))), john adamson, jim, David Swinfen, asifh, Chris, berryman, ESP, chic, robert simpson, generic, Sarah Williamson, Pat McGinley, ð''ð"", Hazel Aitken, Sandy Clark, saddo avoiding coursework, paul mcdonagh, \, Jannes, 1'", Bryan McDade, Sarah, sam jordan, @@izpbt, ¿'¿", Pat Roach, Mark McKeown, JyI=, krsanlir, john hanley, 1 À§À¢, ynmoyo, Karim, john doe, Jim Dick
Last updated: 2016-08-28
More stuff about Blantyre
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Blantyre Knowhere Board