Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Bournemouth, Dorset*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Bournemouth.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Christian Bale
- Mickey Finn used to live in Christchurch and Bournemouth in the late 70s. This isn't just legend, he was friends with my parents and was always at our house.
- Stephen Gough (46) & Melanie Roberts (34) - Naked Ramblers in 2005
- Quite a few i think.
- Tony Hancock, the famous commedian of 'Hancock's Half Hour' was Bournemouth born and bred, his parents were hoteliers here.
- Well, when i was there in January there was this guy on Sunday Morning down by the bus bit in town with his headphones in singing to his hearts content! he was pretty good actaully, simon cowel would be impressed! I dont know whether he was still drunk from saturday night or just a happy go lucky guy! but nice to listen to whiel waiting for a bus! lol!
- Buster Merryfield A.K.A UNCLE ALBERT (RIP)
- mary shelley (frankenstein) was buried in St Stephens church opposite Bar Med
- The drummer from BLOC PARTY, both he and Kele the vocalist wear AFC Bournemouth scarves in one of the videos..can't remember what it's called..4th single from the album!
- Legend had it that the late Mickey Finn, the ex-bongo player from T Rex used to live above what was the Third Side nightclub in The Triangle, many moons ago. Truth or rumour?
- Page 3 girl Leilani lives here as did Buster Merryfield who played uncleAlbert in Fools and Horses
- Lovely Marinella from ITV's The Block lives in the area and used to work as a presenter for 2CR, the local independent radio station. Tony Hancock lived in Bournemouth when he was young.
- Marinella from ITV's ill-fated reality show the Block lives locally. I always thought she seemed a really nice girl with a wicked sense of humour. Drop dead gorgeous as well.
- Buster Merrifield: In my opinion, an absolute legend! He is of course Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses. He died though. But he was really nice and I once sat on his lap!
Duncan from Blue: He went to my school, I hate crappy pop and boybands but I'm sure some of you will love this fact. 'Oooh Duncan, You're a dreeeam!'
- I do beleive the guitarist from the police was from bournemouth and the wonderful Alex Elkins, A general legend in his own right!
- The commedian Hancock, of 'Hancock's half hour' fame was born in Bournemouth, I believe his parents were hotel proprietors.
- Alan Davey of Hawkwind used to live in Palmerston Rd.
- christian bale. soon to be new batman went to bournemouth boy's grammar school until he moved onto hollywood. Also starred in american psycho and empire of the sun.
- Matthew Kelly can sometimes still be seen at the David Lloyd club in town.
- harry rednap i have been to his house iam mates with his granson!!!!!!and jamie and loiuse and the guy from blue i have met!
- Sir Isaac Gulliver, cool smuggler dude!
- Harold Pinter Kevin Keegan (Canford Magna-close enough) Toni and Guy of Toni and Guy hairdressing fame stayed for a weekend in a bed and breakfast many many moons ago before they were rich and famous
- Sir Richard Attenborough, he's local.
- Most famous local in Bournemouth is Richard Carr, he's a prat, but he brought us: Tokos, Bliss, Slam, The Opera House, The Oyster Bar (Poole), Urban, Dicky Darr's and loads more fun night outs! As much as i hate to say it.....Thank You!
- Max Bygraves!
- Travel writer and humorist Bill Bryson worked as a sub-editor on the Bournemouth Evening Echo for a couple of years in the late 1970s. He mentions that period in his book Notes From A Small Island.
- R L Stevenson wrote "Dr Jekyll And Mister Hyde" in Westbourne probably after visiting a few clubs.
Burt Lancaster and David Niven made a film based in a Bournemouth hotel.
- Dave Beckham has just bought a brand new quay-side apartment in poole quay!!!!
- Max Bygraves!
- Buster merryfeild used to live in poole..i always saw him in bmouth bless him!
- Isn't one of the guys from Blue from Bournemouth?
- Sara Morgan, Sara Cox's trusty assisstant on the Radio 1 breakfast show.
- Apparently the old bearded guy with the two-stringed guitar that sings the one that goes: "Mmf, hey-brrrrwbr diddle-dey-hum, nnnnnyiggetty dah, hmmrf..." is dead.
I'm trying to get one of those blue circular plaques mounted on the outside wall of Debenhams. I want it to read "Old bloke. Played Crap Songs Here."
- David Beckham and Victoria Adams (Posh Spice) have just bought a home there, just round the corner to Jamie Rednapp and Louise.
- Fanny the wonder-dog
- Jamie Redknapp and Louise Nurding have a house in sandbanks
- Drummy Zebb from Aswad (Tosser)
- What about the bands (Godhead,Poze,Sons of Geronimo....)? They all live in Boringmouth!
- Max Bygraves, Darren Anderton.
- Alex from Blur
- I've seen the young band "Fungus"... they're OK
- Geoff Boycott (me mum designed his kitchen) Jamie Redknapp's parents (she designed theirs too!)
- Matthew Kelly (stars in their eyes) Tim Vincent (Clothes Show) Rick Adams (Big Breakfast) all went to Bournemouth Uni
- Jamie Rednapp Andy Summers J R R Tolkein R L Stevenson Radclyffe Hall Rupert Brooke Winston Churchill D H Lawrence P Verlaine
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: dilbert, tim, Rich Ewbs, Nicky Williams, Wyn, ezz and raz, simon, Daniel Smith, nobody, Bob McCaffrey, ellen, Lucy, Captain M, alan noke, storm, some guya, Becky Goff, fe, Rick, B S -fluffy, Chris, fred smith, Billy, steve butcher, J, Katie Steele, Bruce Jackson, brigitte barnes, the bitch, Peter Hughes, Claire, kate, davey, mim, haz, MARTYN, robbie boy, Steph, Paul Williams, chris paynter, Concrete Pete, Rusty Judd, Jacquarina, -, Luke parker, Jade Cripps, dave hern, beccy, hagen, mel, /\/\><, Felix, Maddy Eid, Guy, Gemma, Alex Elkins, bossy, Lisa, Rebecca, Richard Slee, deano, JK, Adrian Jefferson-Brown, Joe Bloggs, mike, samtyler, jack, matt, Karin, sally, Ricardo, Molly, Nat Rendell, Alex, Phil Baldock, Jamie, Andy c, Dominique Scott, stuart bridgeman, stan, Sam, Timothy Lambert, firstname.lastname@example.org, jamie strong, John Hart, judith di chio, Freddy, Sam Smith, Allanson Video Productions, Felix!!!, domenic marra, dave lee, Lumia Huhdanpää, rich, Anna, STUART HANCOCK, marie hardes, Jon, greebo, Neil Longman, Tony Sentinella, monica taylor, SOMEONE, alex asher, WAYNE IVANY, julian stodd, Andy, Michelle-Louise, klaus F, lex, Vikkie Richmond, charlotte, James green, james, jack maguire, kieran, Claudette, Richard Harker, Dan, rooter, lynda, Becky, HAYDN, Catherine Ward, Ben Nichols, Lynda Davis, Gareth, Alice, dave, Alex Brummitt, Greta, bakerlane records, J Penfold, Dave Morris, David Baldock-Webb, Miles Savva, Bill Brandwood, Laura, Mr Richards, Nick, JULIE MARIA CROLEY, Edward Layden, Ashley Barnett, mark smith, Gaj, Marcus Fila, Paul, marie Morrison, SKATE DONT HATE!, Ami, kirsty, kev, DaveNewman, louise cope, nina, boom, Chris Downer, MR HAT, silver, bex, niki, Martin G, jade barrett, Eric the Girl, Howard Fletcher, lee, Jane, kooben, deni, Al the Anarchist, Dee, chaz, bez, Chrissy, ian, email@example.com, Andrew Fuller, ray wills, dave warlock, busgrrrl, jacob lee, emma, liam, Jess Barsley, SPA, Alan, dave edwards, John Randall, John Maher, ----------------------------------------, generic, Charminster Community Project, Sof, dan riggs, Simon W, carys, Mark, Lewis, Carrie, rob, Brennan, ange, Sarah, Priory Sports, Rachel, charlie, Holly, w nicholls, Kara, Precious, Nick Williams, Jason, Wendy Deacon, craig wilson, John, Ells, Gareth Davies, jeff, Helen Jones, Steve
Last updated: 2014-08-07
More stuff about Bournemouth
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Bournemouth Knowhere Board