Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear in Brighton, East Sussex*
Stockists of gear to make good sounds
You can tell us more about Brighton.
Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Brighton Guitar Shop
- Bedrock in Burgess hill - avoid unless you like being ripped off and paying too much money for cheap crap gear, they don't have any good guitars like gibson or ibanez, they just have cheap crap like stag. Their stuff is all really old gear that theyv had sitting round for years too.I bought a guitar which the fat guy said was great and the jack socket broke after two days and then he was rude when I phoned up. in the end he fixed it but wasnt happy. when I checked the serial number online I found the guitar was 8 years old!!
- Southern Counties DJ equipment Hire in Brighton - 0843 289 5434
For some excellent singer's fare such as microphones, books, warm up cd's and general singer's stuff!
- Just bought from Star Guitars, www.starguitars.co.uk - just outside Brighton - worth the trip. Only have a limited range of guitars from Eastwood (reissues of retro classics) and funky DiPinto creations but they are dealers for both and can get any of those guys ranges direct. Run by Robin and his wife (Spike) and i not only got a great guitar but also got free strings, two cups of tea and fairy cakes:) Got a big Marshall stack there that you can just play with until you're happy. Robin says he does it for passion not profit - believe it - awesome, unusual, guitar buying experience.
- Not really any options besides GAK I guess
- GAK are, as mentioned above, stuck in a Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch from 1979 ("you want what Grandad, a gram-o-phone?"). They'd make Bootsy Collins feel inadequate if he dared walk into THEIR shop. Shop on Western Road has less gear but is run by human beings.
- re: GAK - hahahaha they truly are a bunch of cunts - i know way more than all of em put together and they still tried to talk down to me... BUNCH OF CUNTS!! respect to all those people who spoke out about it...
- pacific sound
- music shop in brighton
- Ackerman on Portland Road and Fab Music in Westbourne Place, both in Hove. Good for woodwind and brass stuff.
- The Brighton Music Scene including BIG ROCK is where you get the best advise the widest variety of stock including some fanatastic LIck Library DVDs I shop there I recommend you take a walk down western road.
- GAK the guitar amp and Keyboard center www.gak.co.uk - it's th the lane too!
- Of course Guitar and amp, although the people are arrogant and unfriendly and its mostly over priced, i prefer music scene on western road, not that i spend any money in there either, but there are loads- Bonners is good and actually snoopers paradise has sold some incredibly cheap and very nice sounding acoustic guitars, they always have a few cheap electrics/basses. To be worn again has a good shop above it now too, but snoopers is definetly the cheapest
- Guitar & Amp - It used to be much better when the owner Phil was behind the till every day. Maybe he was a bit grumpy but you always got service.
- When I got married I bought my Husband a guitar from The Guitar, Amp and Keyboard Centre as a Wedding Gift. I went in with £1000 but no idea of what to buy ! The guys in there were really nice and they even told me I didn't need to spend that much to get a good guitar ! Amazing, maybe they can help you too ? Thanks GAK.
- re GAK Brighton, I've been a regular customer for over 5 years and have had fantastic service! The staff there are friendly, knowledgeable and patient with me, I've purchased equipment from every department, guitars mainly but also PA, recording gear and drums for my studio and I've always felt welcome! Admittedly, you have to pick your visiting times in order to get the most out of the salesmen - Saturdays are a total free for all and I don't envy anyone in there, staff or customers alike! Special praise for Mark, the young lad who mainly sells bass/PA gear for being a great help!
- I've been playing guitar for 10 years and i've always got my gear from the Guitar,Amp and Keyboard Centre in Brighton. They used to be tiny but now i can get whatever i want and they always help me out !
- Bedrock Music in Burgess Hill. The guys there know their stuff and are amazingly helpful. Plus they've got a great range for such a tiny space!
GAK in Brighton have a wide range of stock, but I wouldn't shop there if I had the choice. Girls, if you have to shop there, take a guy with you and train him to answers for you if you want them to give you the time of day.
- Guitar and Amp
- Regarding getting a good experience from GAK. There is a simpler one point plan. In general they are arrogant moody bastards. Been going there for years through lack of choice elsewhere in Brighton. Only decent blokes regularly in there were Karn and Stu who i believe set it up with Gary when it started. Hardly ever see them there these days but are apparently still involved somewhere along the line. If you actually get to speak with one of these chaps Its like a breath of fresh air. Not at all condescending and more knowledgable than the rest of the kids they have working there put together. Find or ask for one of these guys and you'll be sorted out and have a laugh doing it. With any of the others its every man for himself. Still possible to get a bargain, but not worth the hassle in general.
It used to be a friendly local shop where you would get a deal and come out happy. How things change.
- Guitar and Amp... hmmm... here's a 5 point plan for a good GAK experience:
1)Be confident... they will intimidate you but stand your ground and never go intending to buy if you're with someone else... its one on one for this little venture!
2) Know what you want... if its a guitar then you should just full stop know which one you want (test em at Big Rock if you're not sure). If you're buying an amp go in with a budget, how much power you need and tell them what you want soundwise.
3) Always ask for credit! They are much nicer if they smell money... these guys are there to SELL stuff not to be your mates.
4) Act pro... if you're a kid then you've not got much chance but they will treat you how they see you.
5) If you've failed to get the service you need this is your last hope as if they don't like you they will try and give you shop soiled stock so ALWAYS ask for something from the storeroom and be prepared to wait.
With all that in mind you should have a plesant experience... just bear in mind that even with all this behind you, if they're in a bad mood it'll be that much harder.
- the guitar and amp shop has a good acoustic showroom, and the guys up there are generally knowledgeable. downstairs its a bit of a scrum. Music scene in western road is great from sheet music, otherwise its pretty sheet.
- www.gak.co.uk is a sister company to The guitar amp and keyboard centre in brighton. It's just for on line buying.
Ordered stuff at 4pm, got it the next day at 11am. Dont know about you but i think that level of service speaks for itself. recommended.
- GAK - the acoustic shop upstairs is good. the guys there are sound, but as others have said, downstairs its hard to get served/ fight your way through groms drooling over BC Rich kack.
- My addition to your comments on GAK. I am living in the Middle East and I saw GAK's advert on the internet. I wanted to buy two guitars from them for a total amount of fifteen hundred pounds. Their web site invites people to contact them via e-mail. So I did, placing my order for the two guitars. And I tried again a couple of weeks later. Still no reply. There's money to be made here but clearly GAK have plenty already because it's clear that they don't want mine, so I shall buy from somewhere else.
- GAK - Wankers
- Guitar Amp & Keyboard Shop. They advertise cheap deals on their webshite but they sell stuff at full rrp in the shop and won't match their own net prices. I went there to buy an Ibanez and it was over £100 more than their web price. The guy in the shop said "go and buy it on line then". What an asshole. Instead I bought a Maverick from Bedrock in Crawley where I got excellent customer service.
- Guitar Amp and Keyboard Centre. This shop has the most impressive stock level I have ever seen, But don't they just know it. Never before in my life have I been spoken to in such a patronising and condesending manner. If they were the last music store on Earth I would not have bought from there !
- GAK are a bunch of cunts !! They totally ignore you and then treat you like you have just shit in their mouth. Cocksuckers !!
- all musical instrument shops are rip off except YAMAHA SHOPS! rock on - Daffy
- The Guitar and Amp Centre in the Laines! Dude!
- guitar shop in North Laine
- imusic, hanover
- This site is well out of date. TIGER MUSIC closed in 1999! The only decent shop now is GAK. Big range of stuff, though you need to jump and shout to get noticed, and even then, most of the staff are clueless.
- Adaptatrap Percussion-Trafalgar street North laine
- north rd
- There really is a lack of decent music stores considering the size of Brighton and the number of musicians.
- That percussion shop up Trafalgar street is pretty groovy....
- Drum Cavern
- Tiger Music, Sydney Street have just about every make of guitar in stock and they know about them too!!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Jeff Baker, roger ledsham, WD-40, Carmen, Les, kerry, JamieL, Valach, neil, (select convert(int,CHAR(65))), Iain Davidson, JuneWhite, dug, Jam, clare, Richard Jess, catherine hume, Martin Wilkins, Rich, megan, Haydn, Tony Derrington, John G, kate, Rowly Emmett, Shelley Swillingham, Nick Wock, Andy Kybett, alison guile, Jon Deacon, Andy Martin, \, Lex, mastre j, kris, Paul Williams, 1'", busty sincalir, Jeff, iggy, Dom Martin, AJ, Tim Jones, greg james, krsanlir, John Quail, @@dPCVO, neil barstow, Martin Bennett, Liam, 1 À§À¢, Marianne Sheppard, Sadie Phillips, Lee Bowman, kt, lod formani, sarah, Joshua Taylor, Gerry Slater, Trevor, jwashington, paul clark, Mr M, Diana, jstrong, helen, lee swaysland, bibidybob, nick, alan, Ilker Pozan, Antony Yendor, Mark J, gardner arts, maestro_179, carly bryant, Paul Bradley, email@example.com, moj, nial westwood, ukmale42, Alex, td, Sam, Jo, dave white, simon jackson, ltivcouq, pete, lezen, David Watts, Johnathan Reynolds, Brighton Fusion, Martin Lawrence, Roland, Simon Trenter, parkour, Cat, mogz, dam, Jodie May, Allan Ang, Annoying Cunt, Calvin, Tex, Johanna, Myf, Michelle-Louise, Helen Brown, josi, Louise Windsor, Simon Sapon, John Gardner, chris heath, Craig Roberts, Will, Andrew Hirst, Alison Phipps, Matt, Lor, paul riley, Ronnie72, paul b, Rockin56, Ali, Daffy, Emma, jojo, emily, stephentedsmith, lardy1, dave, Rys, mike_said!, Elaine, Eleanor van Emden, robert fordham, Scott, Russ Barr, Dave Cooper, GrumpyOldPunk, Oliver, Dead Uncle Bob, Martyn Jones, steve, richard g, Roger Hall, JyI=, Paul, zoe walsh, andrew fisk, Lucy Cunningham, pat popov, Liquorman, David, pp, Info at Interact, Paul Briggs, Jameoid, laura h, nuala, Eled, mark robson, Brighton Pub Jury, May Everett, Toby Hammond, likl kev, Quentin, Tony, Vibeman, Steve Freedman, brett, Trev, Angela Rice, Garage Studios, Frank Pembleton, dan, Dave Strong, Emmeline, j, mr.m, habbably, Richard Blackmore, Peter Scholefield, starlover, pip, sally ann, mikpqay, Granny, oh max, saint, Jack, jimjim, generic, ed, Tim Powell, H-drive, Danny, ð''ð"", Geoff Wiltshire, Nigel Lockwood, jaz, Russell, jade yesilyurt, Gustav, Michael Wimbish, M Johnstone, TIV-BMX, jennine Reader, BadPeter, ben stringer, Andrew Williams, Munken, andy, Karen Poulton, Tracey, ¿'¿", charlie, Sood, Chipjenkins, freecannabis, Michelle, Michael Sayers, Chris Maley, Boris, Stephen Virgo, robbie w
Last updated: 2016-08-28
More stuff about Brighton
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Brighton Knowhere Board