Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Brixton, Greater London*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Brixton.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Comedian Max Wall (Maxwell Lorrimr) was born in Brixton on the 12th of March 1908.
Vicent Van Gogh the artist lived in Brixton i the 1870's.
- David Bowie grew up in Brixton as a child
- Les Carter from the ealier 90's duo carter U.S.m lives here
- Les "Fruitbat" Carter from Carter USM now of Abdoujaperov legendary punk God lives here. Word has it that Arran and Jim from up and coming punk rock band Rhesus also live in the area.
- Basement Jaxx, oh and that bloke from the Orb who was sacked for snorting too much coke.
- UNDER NEATH WHAT, the late eighties early nineties rock band that dominated the brixton rock scene,graffitied everything in sight, later became a world touring entity and then imploded suddenly,lived at 51 barrington road. tim ashton, the bassist,is still in the area, physically at least.
- Dexy's Midnight Runners filmed their costly 'Come On Eileen' video at Brook Drive, Lambeth. Always thought Come On Eileen was a weird concept...
- benjamin zephaniah. Darcus howe. Magnus Mills (novelist famous for driving 159 bus) Will Self. Brendan Behan reputed to have liked a drink in Bradys. Lilly langtry. PS Martin Millar?????? pu-lease! golly i wonder who submitted that.
- Linton Kwesi Johnson, famous dub poet lives in Brixton near
- Martin Millar - writer.
- I'm shocked! You refer to members of The Clash as coming from west London. In fact, both Mick Jones and Paul Simonon are sarf London boys. Mick is from Streatham and Paul a good ol' Brixton boy - THAT is why he (not Strummer/Jones) wrote Guns of Brixton. Sorry to be so anal, but why should west London always get the kudos?
- tony slattery lives up the road in stockwell.
roger moore [yes, the one with the eyebrow] was born in stockwell. his dad was a local policeman.
apparently, saffron from republica lives here too.
- The Clash did not come from Brixton, it's just a song title. Strummer lived in N. London and the others Notting Hill/Shepherds Bush area.
- Genius Comedy God Chris Morris lives here
- Various of our current leaders have had spells serving on Lambeth Borough Council - John Major most famously also Ken Livingstone (Born in Streatham), Tony Banks, Paul Boateng
- As I speed by on Eurostar gazing out across the brixton rooftops
it keeps going round and round in my mind that David Bowie is
supposed to have been raised/born here.It really puzzles me how such
a talented,one time effete and sensitive star could rise from a place like this.
- Mixmaster Morriss Lives in Camberwell (next to Brixton)
- The Clash!!! Remember "The guns of Brixton".
- Chris Moyles
- Skin from Skunk Anasie is from here.
The Alabama 3 live here.
- Probably the best costume designer in the movies, Sandy Powell, winner of 1999 Oscar for Best Costume Design - SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, lives in Brixton.
- Bowie was born David Robert Hayward Jones at 40 Stansfield Road on January 8, 1947
- John Major lived here and was married in St. Matthew's Church.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Jane, tony amos, Darren, annem, kelly foster, vikas, judith bonner, james, jim, Chris, D*, Tev, Dan, Linton, Simon Bray, Mark Pilkington, generic, Kels, Ed Simpson, henry, Elaine, mandy mackie, Sarah, suse, blackpad, Zelda Rhiando, Jimmy, Abby Wood, Geraldine Homewood, jay, Juno, Jonas Jaanimagi, Stephanie, stuart, Stephen Gilchrist, Michelle, Jim Luchte, Melaine, clare fitz, Rob, Simon, wendy, Pete Taylor, Dirk, Eddie Brennan, Stephen, Simon Edwards, lala, Andy, colin, John Temperley
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Brixton
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Brixton Knowhere Board