Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars in Brixton, Greater London*
Where to go to get down
You can tell us more about Brixton.
Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- 414 is my favourite club of all-time, by a huge margin. Haven't been there for a few years but it was the place to be if you were into hard house, so many amazing memories there, love it (except the terrifying stairs, very tricky to navigate those when you're utterly spangled...)
- Couldn't let that comment 'Club414, worst club in britain' pass. I sometimes drive 2 hours for a hit of the BEST UNDERGROUND TECHNO you'll hear short of a london squat party, at Nuclear Free Zone, one of the regular nights at the 414. Unless of course you prefer 'dance round the handbag' clubs!
- The 414 is far from the worst club in the UK, but it is really rather dodgy... Very banging music, about five people, all of whom are utterly terrifying.
- Brixtonia, very funny very chilled out!
- to be honest i've lived in brixton all my life so i don't really rave in brixton wanna get out the area for a change but the winebars are wicked but a bit pricey
- Despite it's name 'the fridge's ventilation is so poor & they couldn't care less how many they pack in, can prove to be a real waste of £8 & queing, if you like all that housey business, 414 has a wicked chill out upstairs with a fish tank, screen, free sweets & they open their windows in the summertime!
- Dogstar, The Junction, Mass, George IV, The Fridge, Bug Bar etc etc the list goes on and on - check Time Out
- My name is Kylie and I am a features writer for various music magazines in the UK, Wax Magazine, M8, Future Publishing, International DJ, to name a few. I also write Club 414's web site and any reviews they require in regards to press.In your site you have stated that Club 414 was nominated 'the worst club in Britian', I am quite curious as to when and what media source this attributed to because I have never come across such a statement. Last year Jacques Peretti reviewed Club 414 in the Times newspaper and he stated that Club 414 was 'the best little club in Britian'. I am not sure whether Jacques Perriti's cynical writing style has caused confusion, but this was a very positive review for Club 414 and in no way emphasized that Club 414 was 'the worst club in Britian. This was the only feature that I could associate with your own review. Club 414 is very respected in the underground dance music scene and we play host to the likes of Colin Dale, Mr C, Nathan Coles, Terry Francis, Chris Liberator, Dave the Drummer.....to name just a few. It would be appreciated if your statement could be changed, because whilst the rest of the review is positive I feel that your statement is the focal point, the part that readers will remember. If you would like to visit the web site at www.club414ent.co.uk it includes the club's press, reviews, DJ's and info.
- Tho' we haven't been for a while, the Fridge is a great place to be when you need to let off steam.
- The fridge, on Fridays (Escape from Samsara). Avoid coming after midnight if you don't want queing 2 hours on the pavement! Open from 10pm.
Don't go to the Fridge Bar at 6pm. It sucks.
It's only in Brixton that you'll see a church and a club parts of the same building: don't miss "The Mass". Fabulous when the Torture Garden takes place there! See the program at the entrance.(St Matthews Church)
- Blue in Loughborough junction is a wicked underground club - open all night but not every weekend.
- Bug Bar and Dogstar are fab
- Club 414 - mostly extremely banging hard house - nominated "worst club in Britain" but only by people who don't really like dance music
- Check out the CoolTan Arts Centre (375 Coldharbour Lane), on Saturday nights for a real open minded club night. Jungle, techno, ambient and heavy dubbyjazzy stuff. This is music for the mind, crazy fucked up jungle that you can't dance to, and techno with Irish folk music mixed in. Love it.
If you can catch one of Matty Davis' one nighters. The information is hard to come by, but flyers usually circulate when an event is due around clubs in Brixton, South Norwood and Hampstead. He is the party king of south London.
- The Fridge
- Club 414 has a deservedly big name on the London scene for attracting names like Beamish, Oberon, Orange Peel, Zebedee and Liberator (Chris, Aaron and Julian). Anyone into Future Techno Trance, Uplifting Hard House, PsychedelicTechno Trance and Funky House will find something to tickle their fancy big time! (And it's only 5-7 quid in!)
- George the 4th (I think) good nights going on down there. Brixton Hill. Andrew Weatherall once a month.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Jane, tony amos, Darren, annem, kelly foster, vikas, judith bonner, james, jim, Chris, D*, Tev, Dan, Linton, Simon Bray, Mark Pilkington, generic, Kels, Ed Simpson, henry, Elaine, mandy mackie, Sarah, suse, blackpad, Zelda Rhiando, Jimmy, Abby Wood, Geraldine Homewood, jay, Juno, Jonas Jaanimagi, Stephanie, stuart, Stephen Gilchrist, Michelle, Jim Luchte, Melaine, clare fitz, Rob, Simon, wendy, Pete Taylor, Dirk, Eddie Brennan, Stephen, Simon Edwards, lala, Andy, colin, John Temperley
Last updated: 2012-06-20
More stuff about Brixton
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Brixton Knowhere Board