The Worst Things in Brixton, Greater London*
The entirely missable and worth mentioning because of it
You can tell us more about Brixton.
The Worst Things
- A few decent bars and clubs don't make an area - it's about the people. In Brixton there are just too many ignorant, arrogant, aggressive people who don't respect anyone.
- Looking over your shoulder everywhere you go.
- Going shopping with my mum cause it takes hours because your guarantied to bump into nuff people you know. all the mans selling drugs
- Brixton was hoorendous in the nineties - Lived there for a while in Bankton road vicious rapes, muggings, and hassle as soon as you were off the train - I don't care if it's 'trendy' who wants 'trandy' when it's so ugly and frightening, filthy and a place for every great unwashed in the world to doss.
I am very hippy in my tendencies - but Brixton is vile - I pity the nice people who live there.
- crack and guns.
- I don't think its the kind of place you want to bring up your kids - I know cause i grew up there. Too many scumbags come into the area and sell hard drugs or buy them and the police do nuffink. And those little wannabee gangsters- stick 'em in the army for six months ( or better send 'em to Mosside or Granby in Toxteth, Liverpool where there are some REAL bad boys who don't need their mates to back them up when they're beating up on graphic designers/architects!)
- The Italians who live outside the tube station
- Walking up Coldhabour Lane alone late at night! Crime: my cousin was recently mugged by 2 kids in daylight across from a bus stop on Atlantic Road & no-one at the bus stop tried to help even though she was screaming her head off.
- All those people who used to "whizz by on their way to France" have now started moving there on mass and are trying to make the place their kind of sterile safe zone that they came from. go back to clapham or islington and stop pricing everybody out of the area and ruining it. Bring back the Squatters
- The really nice guy who used to regularly wank on my basement flat window!!
- Now you can't walk down the street with a spliff becos they'll take your gear, whereas before, they'd avoid you for fear of paper work overload.
- Drive by shootings
People asking for your used travelcards at the tube station
- The Black youth that want to turn London into an LA Gang War Zone. This is not what their grandparents had in mind when they came here in the 50s
- The horrendously ugly scrapyards,slum alleys,uneccessary filth
and mess,silly little VIctorian hovels nd general visual "ugliness"
of the area as one coasts by in Eurostar to France.
The menacing and intimidating violence in the neighbourhood
ranging from riots to drive by shootings to muggings and just plain
ol drunken common assaults.
- The Police sirens. Too much traffic. Not enough cool cafes. Wish there were more community creative spaces.
- No Sainsburys - but set to change soon
Could do with more 'normal' pubs - presently there are only really very trendy places or dodgy locals
- The worst thing about Brixton is the junk shops, all of which interpret their name more literally than most of their ilk do. In five years of living there I have never seen anything worth buying. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see half a tin of catfood from a recent house clearance being sold as collectable in Brixton.
- Smell in the market - phew!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Jane, tony amos, Darren, annem, kelly foster, vikas, judith bonner, james, jim, Chris, D*, Tev, Dan, Linton, Simon Bray, Mark Pilkington, generic, Kels, Ed Simpson, henry, Elaine, mandy mackie, Sarah, suse, blackpad, Zelda Rhiando, Jimmy, Abby Wood, Geraldine Homewood, jay, Juno, Jonas Jaanimagi, Stephanie, stuart, Stephen Gilchrist, Michelle, Jim Luchte, Melaine, clare fitz, Rob, Simon, wendy, Pete Taylor, Dirk, Eddie Brennan, Stephen, Simon Edwards, lala, Andy, colin, John Temperley
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Brixton
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Brixton Knowhere Board