The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Bromley, Greater London*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Bromley.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- tooooooooo many pigeons
- At least the pikeys in Bromley don't have scummy Birmingham accents
- Urban Gardener now theres a shop thats on every highstreet!
- You may well be able to get trains to Orpington every 15 minutes, but why would anyone every want to go there? If you think Bromley is bad...
- queensmead park - where all the kids go who get beat out of churchill park by the abundance of pikeys. if you're looking for a walk in the woods or whatever then queensmead is quite a nice park but you may stumble across a group of stoners/local drunks
- POSH KIDS WHO THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE
- Iv herd the youth club, the door next to urban chaos, is where ppl go n do crap... I duno.... Bromley is strange coz sum days its full of pikeys, and on other days its grunger n sk8r town
- Bromley was such a nice place to live in the 1950's - nice people too. Sounds a dump now.
- If you want to see what the worst of US culture looks like in the UK ... visit Bromley!
- In the 70's there's a song about a love epilogue in Bromley. The song called "Epilog Cinta Dari Bromley" translated as " A Love Epilogue From Bromley" was written by Suhaimi Meor Hassan, a native of Malaysia. The song was about how Suhaimi, then a student in Bradford, fell in love with a local girl named Kathy. However, without the blessing of both parents, they ended the love affair. The song was number one hits for several months in Malaysia.
- Traffic and parking is a total nightmare...Get the bus...If you park over my drive
and go shopping again I will dump your car even further next time.......
- Correction to the information on BROMLEY re the service times for Bromley Baptist Church. The evening service on Sunday is at 6.30 and not 6.00. All the other comments are accurate!
- There is a whole range of acessories shops in Bromley (whether this is of any interest tp you depends on what you like I suppose). The main two are Accessorize and Claire's Accessories - both in the Glades.
- The Churchill Theatre's really nice and they've often got good plays on.
- But the best thing at the moment's the facelift of Westmoreland Place.
- You can get trains to Orpington every 15 minutes...
- Bromley Little Theatre and the strong AmDram element in the area - a major plus point...
- Cheap bus fares relative to the rest of the country is a good thing.
- Direct bus (726) to Heathrow Airport is a good thing.
- Did you know Bromley was written up as London's most boring Borough by the Independent newspaper in October 1994. Unrelated is that one of its most famous residents was Thomas Crapper - architect of the modern toilet system from which the euphemism having a Thomas derives.
- Bromley South station is on the Eurostar route but they don't case any real problems (they just hum as they pass through the station at about 10 miles an hour).
- Some spiritual enlightenment: Try Bromley Baptist Church, Park Road, near. Bromley North station for good, lively, family services. 10.30 and 6.00 every Sunday. First-timers are always welcome!
- As for the town, yes, it is pretty boring with respect of the night life especially after visiting Brighton (which is only an hour away). But shopping is good; my advice as to parking is to try to get there before 11am on a Saturday, else don't bother! Shame they have started charging for parking on Sundays now, but I think there is a fixed charge regardless to time of stay.
As for the Borough, it is very diverse. The northern half is mainly built-up "suburbia" whilst the southern sector is mainly countryside. The northern part contains places like Bromley town itself, Beckenham, Penge, Crystal Palace, Chislehurst, St Pauls Cray, Orpington, Petts Wood, to name but a few, whilst the southern part has Biggin Hill, Leaves Green, and Cudham. West Wickam, Keston and Farnborough straddle the middle of the Borough and there are a number of circular walks to be found here (details to be found in the library in Bromley). Keston Ponds are nice for a Sunday afternoon stroll if the fancy takes you.
Bromley has a well established Adult Education College with courses lasting from a day, to a few weeks, to the whole "school" year. Bromley also has good Ballroom/Latin dance schools, the most notable being the Peggy Spence Dance Centre in Penge. Classes are run Sunday through Friday with a club night on Saturdays. Yes it is mainly older people who go there, but there is a budding younger sector (me included) and it can be a real laugh. Disco routines are also taught, and the Jive can be done to most modern music. Good fun.
There are cinemas in Bromley and Beckenham and only a short distance away is the new multi screen Warner Brothers Cinema in Croydon's Valley Park (next to Ikea). But wait, Crystal Palace Park is being redeveloped and soon Bromley will have its own multi screen cinema, along with restaurants and a bowling alley. We wait with baited breath.
I have often opened an IRC channel called #Bromley, but haven't yet met anyone from there, perhaps some of you Bromleyites might like to give this a try to. I met loads of people on #Brighton and we have met up, you ever know!!!!!
- Bromley College is part of the University of Greenwich now...
- The Studio, 28 Beckenham Road, Beckenham, Bromley, BR3 4LS. - Live music, Theatre, Film, Exhibitions, Comedy, Dance and Multimedia - As a local arts centre, The Studio provides a broad range of events and workshops for the people from the Borough of Bromley.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: railway hotel, sophie, S ROBINSON, Richard Clarkson, Lewis Rees, Chris, Will Oxlade, dobber, Faydra, Rosh, TONY, scott mcmillan, Trisha, Earl Lewis, Omar Sharif, Phil Waller, Steph, geezer, Jawfish, D.Hughes, lucy, adam, Frazar Norton, katie, X, Hannah Wing, Pobsy, sarah, roo, kq, ads, Kel, r clark, Steve Shemilt, sportster, Danny Baldwin, LL, Peter, jack, Mike, sue hastings, Dave Brown, Pete Ravenscroft, Nick Varan, binar, Liz Ledwon, Cameron, Sinead, theo, Sharifah Noralinda, Sam, Ben, JamPot, pete, Matthew, Caroline Mahoney, dins, Nick Moore, ant, jo, Dieter G, James h, Hana Bettell, Nathaniel Mitchell, Paul Bevan, Aidan Corcoran, Greg issom, lisa stebbings, Jimi_A, Nick Wood, Webby, Sophie adn Hannah, sweetie, chloe, vicky kinahan, will brian, amelia, Chelsey, mark, Mike Gibson, Will, rosie, Dan, Becky, christian hobson, James, Brad The Drummer, anita white, Kirsty Henning, s n j, Rebecca French, Mick Smith, Rosamond, sam friend, don juan, Amy, betty, Philip Tindley, sikander, Louisa Rust, paul murtagh, Dee, Fran, Jas, Sam Bassett, loz, emma, Stephen Read, BRENDAN CARRICK, Ben M, Guido Gevels, Jayson Robinson, generic, Sue Wood, I, phil micorry, C. Harris, Rachel Ablett, Law Anderson, Lucy Freeman, poppy, Phil Morris, sarah franklin, Gem, Jake Gordon, ben hunt, Tom Queen, chris elmer, Dominic Ford, Sam Whatmough, Rob, lisa, Glenn Robinson, i middleton, errolyn, james read, Sarah Hayes, angela
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Bromley
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Bromley Knowhere Board