Cafes and Coffee Shops in Crouch End, Greater London*
High tea and a sticky bun
You can tell us more about Crouch End.
Cafes and Coffee Shops
- I thought I would try the World cafe for a coffee as I like to support independent local businesses rather than chains - both Costa and Starbucks have outlets in Crouch End Broadway.
I ordered I white coffee, which came in a chipped cup with congealed coffee stuck in the chip on one side, and more congealed coffee stuck on the rim on the other side, providing evidence of the cup not being washed up properly since it was last used by both right and left handed customers. The milk was hot and frothy rather than cold, which I perfer.
I pointed this out to the surly blond waitress who didn't apologise but just said "If you don't like" and shrugged.
Back to Costa I'm afraid.
- The best cafe in Hornsey and probably in the world is Olives - on Hornsey high street. Happy, sunny place with a fab cheap menu, huge portions of grub on giant sized plates and good italian coffee.
- Spiazzo is newish and fabulously Italian
- Pretensious over priced pseudo snob coffee shops where the 4x4 brigade invade 24/7
- I really enjoy Costa--the folks there are great!
- Loads to choose from, too many if you ask me. Italian deli outside the town hall is by far the best in both quality and value for money, forget the rest.
- there aren't any in crouch end that haven't been taken over by the 'organic breast feeding mothers society of crouch end'
- The World's End Cafe in Crouch End would do us all a favour if it just kept sailing over the abyss. We were amazed by the Dickensian filth that greeted our hungry eyes. We soon discovered that you can access the horn of plenty that is the menu if you slide it off the the sticky table sideways rather than attempt to prize it off upwards. Most of the unpleasant evening was spent arguing over who had chuffed. There was the most eggy smell either of us had ever experienced. I reasoned that I would have owned up if it was me, being a male, I cannot produce anything living, and my lady didn't glow in the slightest when i outright accused her. We put the smell down to the fat pasty english girls smoking behind us. But then actually ... being a DIY type, I have gazed recently into the bowels of london, specifically Crouch End / Highgate, and can safely conclude that the smell came from those very bowels (one may allow for a certain eggy discrepancy due to the proximity to Totenham and Finsbury Park).
The service wasn't bad at all. This is a pity, because I didn't leave a tip.
We both had steak, because there was simply nothing else to choose from. "It was very busy" so there was nothing left. Funny, only three chuffy girls, us, another struggling couple (also eating steak) and the staff.
The bounteous platters arrived and that awful silence descended where both parties thought how much of this filth must i eat to convince the person opposite me that i don't think that this was an awful idea/food/chuufy haunt and want to go home, and so spoil the evening, and waste a not inconsiderable amount of money. The silence was only broken by the odd splash of the chip dropped back into the puddle of unearthly grease. The steak was amazing. I have sat on worse in Egypt. It was as if chef had heated it with a hair dryer until it had stopped moving and had started to ooze a greyish juice. I ate all of it, most of the chips and none of the greenery.
The beer was wet though, which was good.
- Ohh the Costa coffee place has the nicest mocha frappachinos.. Is that to commercial!? I dont like World Cafe.. To many pretenious tw*ts! How do them kids manage to hang around there al day without working!? Were do they get their money for coffee!?
- Cafe Solo
- no more COFFEE shops.......it will take a small section of the entire brazilian annual coffee production to keep crouch end going soon.........
- World Cafe: Bleuchhh!! Worst eggs benedict I ever had.
- If you want to get served sometime this century, don't go to WORLD'S END cafe. It's unspeakably woolly and full of vile liberals and their unfettered brats. HOT PEPPER JELLY on Tottenham Lane is an old favourite, SABLE D'OR is lovely (but getting very busy and push-chair loaded). STARBUCKS is positively dystopian, being a magnet for the Mercedes buggy brigade and (horror) pensioners. If you want to drink mediocre coffee, smoke LOADS OF FAGS in peace and read a tab on a Saturday then I can't recommend MANHATTAN COFFEE highly enough. It's one of my secret, dirty pleasures in Crouch End and I absolutely love it!
- Cafe Mozaik on Park Road is genuinely friendly (Turkish or Kurdish - not sure which), does a really good fry up. And if you're looking for a challenge (or haven't eaten for a week), order the liver and bacon. It's huge.
- Hot Pepper Jelly doesn't seem to have had a mention here. It's a great little cafe so try it.
- World Cafe used to be good .....did a fantastic Tuna Melt but now when I go there the slow service mekes me feel like I am intruding on their time.
- There's a great greasy spoon down middle lane, leave all the screaming kids to Banners and enjoy a decent spread and a cup of tea in peace!
- Crouch End is seething with expensive coffee shops, plus the usual collection of "retail" coffee outlets. Not much in the form of cafes though.
- Cafe Solo on the Broadway. The most super breakfasts and the people who work in there are charming. Unfortunately the ghastly parents and babies brigade take it over at weekends and it becomes a no-go zone unless you want to breakfast with bably behaved children and their its-the-weekend-so-I'm-compensating parents.
- Banners is absolutely the warmest, most friendly place in london. And the food is great too.
- Cafe Solo is the best kept secret in Crouch End! Long may it continue.
- Wisteria is now long gone – although missed by many locals. Isn't it about time you deleted the entries raving about it? And can I make a point about Crouch End becoming taken over by poncey cafes such as World Café (who apparently; appoint staff on style and appearance) and chain coffee shops? Joan, of the Dramatic Café on Crouch Hill, is sorel;y missed.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Alan Thomson, aleks, Beth, Zoe, Louisa, andrew, Chris Andrew, Nico Hogg, digsee, james, BJP, Toni, Kathy, Dave Bartlet, simon astrop, jane horwood, lisiy, samson, na westwood, squirrel, Rusty Iron, James Fryer, Lesley Marrio-Cole, Jan Traylen, John Bligh, Jannice, Octavia, Mark Serlin, Rich H, maz, Jon Ritman, Neil Williams, Barnaby, Nick Edwards, John Kelly, Jean-Paul, peyoti, Frances, Huren Marsh, rebecca bramwell, stephen bass, will, jackie, boy george lover- rhiannon, graham, A ntonia Owen, Miranda, jean barton, tony johansen, Brendan Cooper, cate, cam, David, Simon, Andrew Lale, Nicola Nazer, O Hunte, David Martin, Heather, Vinny, juliancole, Judy, julie, Col, Palmer, jules, Nikki Lynch, vikas, Brett Aldgate, tomchristie, Shiv, straadgreeny, Romany, Adrian Essex, dd, Par, generic, nial westwood, daisy, paul tracy, Katie, Simon Bronson, Andy Copeland, Fiona Stow, Antonia Owen, MacEmergency, J Kelley, Pete Marshall, Lesley, Russell, Sarah Harper, John Comber, wilkie, J O'Callaghan, ChrisG, Anna, alan paterson, Omar de la hoya, Ivan O'Pinion, tracy, carrie-anne adams, Justin Keery, Christina Griffiths, victoria, Emma Carson, sm, dawn hopkins, stephan robinson, R, adrian, Jimmy Grant
Last updated: 2010-04-25
More stuff about Crouch End
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Crouch End Knowhere Board