The places where you buy your music
You can tell us more about Croydon.
- beanos is a great place for second hand cds
- THere is an awesome record shop (can't remember what it's called) down the alley beside Oasis-they put on whatever music you want and you can spend hours there just hanging out, and get good music too.
- beanos, shuts soon, and that'll be the end of it. memeory lane round the back of debenhams is pretty good for cheap old stuff, buy or die, for the dub/reggae, i wouldnt bother for anything else. just go ressurection in camden.
- wax in good for drum n bass vinals and swag is good for just about any dance music u want
- Wax City - Long term Drum & Bass record shop run by John. Several different shops over the years but still representing, always a friendly service : )
- Beanos - one of the good things about Croydon
- Big Apple Records just by the market for house and garage. HMV isn't bad, but Virgin is not great at all!
- BEANOS BEANOS BEANOS Follow the tram lines down the hill and before you hit KFC take a left to go to teh best music store yet.
- benos in croydon situated near the surrey street market. u can buy vinals, n all the cool old rock to seriously head bang to. woteva you do, DONT ask for mcfly records, ull get laughed at n beaten by other shoppers
- best record shop by far in the world is...... BEANOS
- Beano's What else can I say!
- Beanos. Big, Purple, You can't miss it.
- Beanos 2nd hand record shop (difficult to find if your not a local). It claims to be the largest 2nd hand music shop in europe, its on 3 floors, the top one having a cafe & jukebox. They even have local bands in to play on the 2nd floor. This place is a serious music lovers heaven & proof that alternative can be better than the chain stores.
- ummm the first left on church street has beanos which is good if you want second hand cd's and actual records.
- dat shop near west croy train station itz for hip hop n rnb musik i dno wot itz called but dey alwayz playin hevi musik
- red records Brixton
- Beanos - what a joke, I can't wait to see those idiots go out of business. 90% of the stock have worn out covers, and the prices are laughable. I pity the poor sods (presumably Japanese) who go there and pay vastly inflated prices for LPs that wouldn't cut it at your local car boot sale... The only saving grace is the 2nd floor Jazz/Country/Folk section, which is staffed by a genuine guy and the stock is marginally less shagged out then elsewhere - prices just as silly as elsewhere though...my tip: Ebay!!
- Beanos Beanos Beanos for absolutely everything!!!
Biggest used record store in the UK!
Beanos have high standard... they won't buy even the most slighty scratched CD/Record, so it's all as good as new, but cheaper prices, and alot of the titles you can no longer find in places like Virgin/HMV...
Plus Musical Collectables rare and cool can be sold here too!
- wax city
- Beano's - Fantastic for that "I can't get that 60's and 70's rock vinyl", Beano's will have it, might not be cheap, but you WILL find at least one album you want buy instantly that you haven't been able to get anywhere else
- Beano's. Duh!
- Beanos (sp?) is good. Also for DVDs and Videos. It's off Church Street if you're walking down church street(literaly down the hill) it's the first road on the Left opposite the Australian Bar.
- just to let you know, sadly Shake Some Action shut down in march 2003, a pity as it was a great place to find punk records and go and see decent live bands during the day. especially if you're only 16 and just aren't interested in faking i.d. to get into croydon's disgusting misogynist meat markets for some semblance of a night out during which you get constantly groped/leered at by repulsive lads who call you "birds" or "darlin" or "dog" or "pig", and then insult/intimidate you or get really abusive when you ignore them.
but beano's is still very much up and running, the best shop around this area, bigger and probably better even than the shops on berwick street in soho. it's like stepping into another world (one that isn't croydon) and they have loads of 7" singles on the first floor. plus if you can't get up the stairs, they'll happily do your shopping for you while you browse the LPs downstairs.
there are other, smaller shops around too, that other people have mentioned, such as buy or die, 101, and others i can't think of right now.
- Virgin doesn't have that many good records, but HMV down the road is ok
- beanos!!!!!!! bargins galore, and u can sell ur stole gear there!
- Memory lane
- Beanoes is kick ass. Kick-fuggin-ass!
- Beano's records in Middle Street is the largest second-hand record shop in Europe, over three floors. It's fantastic! best shop in Croydon.
- Croydon is blessed with a handful of great independent and second-hand record shops. Beanos, Memory Lane Records, Buy or Die Records and 101 Records are all worth checking. They all have a good range of stock (vinyl and CDs in all of these shops) and friendly, knowledgable staff. Memory Lane and Beanos also have some rare bits and pieces, so they really can't be ignored by all serious record collecters and beat diggers.
- Buy or Die, the name of the shop ensures you will find something that you will like
- hmv is tops!!
- Beano's, - apparently the biggest second-hand record shop in the UK. It always makes me feel itchy when I go in there. Also 101 Records (at the back of the Drummond Centra), but it's gone downhill quite considerably since they made the shop smaller in order to run their internet business.
- Memory Lane records on a side road off crown hill, cheapest CD's in croydon, often get second hand records very soon after release date, helpful staff!
- hmv and virgin megastore
- beanos in south croydon
- Shake some Action if you want punk, also has live bands sometimes
Beanos, lots of stuff
101, also sells lots of stuff but not so much variety
Buy or Die, sells hip-hop, dance, and rock but not as cheap as the other shops
Memory Lane, best prices by far and you can pick up a real bargin there.
The Vinyl Resting Place, down shirley, sells loads of cheap secondhand vinyl and CDs, good prices, friendly staff, listening post, also sells videos and some posters, excellent shop!
- For all you music heads out there try Big Apple or Wax City for the latest in uk garage, hip hop, and r'n'b, but leave the attitude at home.
- Wax City Records, Croydon.
- Its Apple records all the way. Staff are 100% friendly and really know their stuff. Best of all, they rarely say the dreaded line "Sorry mate, we've sold out of that one"
- Beanos beanos beanos! I'm sure I'm not the first person to put this hear but it's worth mentionning anyway - it's by middle street off crown hill
- LISTEN CAREFULLY - I WILL SAY THIS ONLY ONCE.....Big Apple is easily the BEST garage record shop outside central London. Get your vinyl 7 days a week in Surrey Market (lower end) - what more is there to say - except why do they use a banana as their logo?
- 101 records and buy-or-die records are both places in which I can spend a week's wages QUICKLY.......
- Wax city is alright ,but if u want good tunes go to swag records in west croydon
- Buy or Die CD shop, just round the corner from the Virgin Megastore. Very friendly and helpful service.
- Big Apple for all your garage needs, listening booths upstairs. Beanos r rip-off merchants!!! Buy or die r ok. H&R cloake r ok. Hamster records is new & sells hip-hop. Hmv have a large vinyl section. Shake some action are an odd place that sell mainly punk to mainly no one & have rehearsal space too. Swag records for all your housey business. And finally the Inn shops 2nd hand record stalls specialise 2nd hand dance tracks.
- Beanos is the biggest 2nd hand record shop in Europe - 3 floors - and so has much of the stuff you'd want to get for pretty cheap prices. Shake Some Action in Church St. is cool for all the punk and alternative stuff you can't find anywhere else. Memory Lane is a cosy shop with the best prices, 101 Records is all right as long as you can find a time when it's actually open and for hip-hop, Buy Or Die's probably your best bet. They're all really close to eachother in the town centre which is very convenient.
- Buy or die records is down a little side street off North End and has very good rock,dance,and rap sections.Shake some action records is a punk shop down church street,which has live bands playing in the shop now and again.Memory lane records also sometimes have a bargain or 2 lurking around.
- Virgin is good, not very cheep but nice
- Beanos, sells old stuff
- Beanos- near Surrey St market - the largest second hand record store in Europe. Try CD101 under the Drummond centre sell top40 cds for £9.99, or the place beside the gadget shop in the Whitgift centre for more of the same
- Goes without saying "Beanos" is the dogs bollocks.
- Beanos is a very big second hand record store and there are several more along Keely road.
- Music shops all over the place: a huge HMV and, just opened, a Virgin Megastore. As well as Our Price and all the usual lot there's a few good independent ones too. Check out Beano's, a second hand record shop, down near the market. 101 Records behind the Drummond Centre: absolutely excellent and extremely competitive, not such a large secondhand range as Beano's, but the staff are nicer and the vinyl is cheaper - also a wide range of new stuff at good prices: they'll play stuff and reserve it, within reason. Get to know the staff - not your usual nasty recordshop types. Also H & R Cloakes for hard independent music and various other bits and bobs: very nice selection of often hard-to-find classical music upstairs, no secondhand.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: kelly, andy groves, Ross, Lucy, Emma Birkett, Ants, jj, Rick, indigo, Ali Mac, Bish, Mikee, Rich, WStroudley, Mike Snow, linda, ray, Daniel, James Cole, bradzo, Martin Fletcher, SARHA AMER, Helen Killick, Jim Taylor, Claire, emilie bell, Stuart Moore, John Anslow, cheryl, Clare Lipscombe, Julia Simon, gavs, Jenny, Dave, joyce, GFunk, Janet Thompson, Kwame, Aaron, Nick Darsley, Joanna Wood, XDJneps, neil bevan, Charlie, Colincole, The BUrst, sal, Darren Maskell, Lucien, Rob L, sonic, Danng, Jason Hall, Dubs, Richard Dyson, Bill Jones, justin tay, Bob Pullen, Kelle, Gemma, marco, RJB, tom lovelock, Zen, Avril, Naomi and mary, Neil Taylor, James Francis, karen smith, teddy stephens, kitty, palace pat, John B, D*, Kev, steve thompson, machindo jimenez, dylan, tommy hopper, Bob Smith, Mike, sue flynn, antonio, j staniforth, matthew, H, zong, Emmet Faherty, peter durrant, Emma Griffiths, jessica, joel colover, Jack Guest, ba young, Mick, Kate, meeee, soph, Mich, ben, John Welbeck, Sam M (Fairfield Rat), Lucinda, roz, carol bellantoni, Stephen Mani, Adrian, Colas, Emma Golds, Mike Armstrong, Gav Sayer, olivia, Andy, Michele, Antonio Langili, Dave Price, sonofblowfly, blue_strawberry, DAISY, Chelsey, Steve Grace, LOUISE, Matt, Lorry, Alex Tofield, Ben W, Micky, mark mcgrath, Kiani, James, Ivan McDuck, Edward Block, Jodie Lloyd, Alice, elissdeja, Nicola, Chris Newbold, Ian Johns, jaina, Gail, tim j, Kerri Halil, steve, Laura, leyla ozkan, Lulu, The Bard of Croydon, Paul, Nico-Adam Hogg, khalida, Ian Johnson, Pink Poi, Benjamin Lovering, Amy, Richard Goff, Mike Random, Richard Mabbutt, Eric Hands, Steve Lloyd, xfvdxv, Ian skilton, Kaz, Claire Osborn, bayoung, dan, cleo, azeez, Barry McSpooge, loz, john, Helen, PHiL, sam, Alan Robertson, Alan, Aran stevens, bar-med man, mooo, generic, Samuel Marlow, outlando, Simone, gertrude, Toby Jacobs, HANIZAH MOHD.RAWI, Justin, Brian O'Neill, Simon Bernacki, Mark, Manny, Michael, James Earley, Sarah, Lawrence Laud-Anderson, Adam, Peter C. Budd, sarahmelbourn, Lee, hannah law, Jonathan Law, suzi bamboozi, Jason, Rob, Kevin Biggs, michelle, zak, Eve Hanker, larry, cfay, jpp, Fluffy, Sener Naim, Gavin, JULIE STRATH
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Croydon
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Croydon Knowhere Board