Corner eateries, quick bites and the local chippy
You can tell us more about Finchley.
- Mermaid Fish Bar, 174 Long Lane - Nice traditional chippie, and quite cheap too. Used to be Long Lane Fish Bar but the new owners took over in April and re-furb'd the lot... The food is fab !
- 'Quality Tandori' in the high street in East Finchley - ok not a great name, but does the best food. Give it a try
- Izgara on Hendon Lane ( the BEST kebabs). Man Chui on Ballards Lane for fantastic Chinese.
- Guru Tandoori, Long Lane, Sun Wah, ballards Lane, and the fantastic fish and chip shop in long lane.
- The Olympus Fish restaurant at 140-142 Ballards Lane is lovely for fish & chips. I went there recently and have a lovely meal. They fry or charcoal grill fish for you there, there's a takeaway section aswell as plenty of room for parties. It's well worth a visit next time you're in Finchley and fancy an enjoyable fish meal (oh and there are vegetarian options too!)
- Fantastic newly-opened Italian deli in Regents Park Road, near the Two Brothers fish restaurant. Family-run and using only fresh ingredients. They also do hampers. Try it out!!
- Rani is a must for all. This restaurant offers vegetarian only, but you would not know. It has a international reputation. Try it.
- Rani Indian in Finchley Central - bit overrated and over priced.
Jenny burgers and Wimpey in North Finchely. also a mcdonalds. shaheens in tally ho [not far from yates is good].
chix chox -
- Undoubtable the best chinese restaurant in East Finchley, and most likely in all of Finchley. Nice, friendly Malaysian - Chinese waitresses, however you'll have to come to terms with the chinese sense of "humour" which is so blunt it makes a ball feel sharp. Excellent food, brilliant service and the presentation of the food is totally amazing. Where else in Finchley can you get a totem of a crane carved into an extremely large carrot? Extensive menu, and wine list. I recommend the Crispy Fried Ice cream for dessert, sounds odd, but is it worth it? Totally!
- Rana Indian Veggie Restaurant.
- No gourmet foodies will get a decent plate in Finchley! There is a real deficit of decent eateries. Misto is worth a try for the wacky interior where kitch meets 90's materials and pseudo-nouvelle plates. The Italian "La Trattoria" in Ballards Lane does decent food for the hungry. Nice service too.
I am told "La Scala" and the Thai next to the Elephant pub in North Finchley are OK, but I haven't been yet.
Bengal Berties (Indian) nr Tally Ho is a reasonable Indian. Not very impressive but satisfying.
Il Zucchero (Regents Park Road) is awful. Bright lighting, bad music, overpriced flavourless food and poor service. Avoid.
Best take-aways : Chinese Sun Wah opposite KFC; fish'n'chips Two Brothers near Catcher in rye pub, just chips - chippy on Tally Ho next to Yates pub.
- The Raj Majal near the Queen's Head on Regents Park Road is a winner. A new Indian restaurant has also opened next to the Innisfree on Ballards Lane and is certainly worth a visit. A new Turkish restaurant has just opened on Hendon Lane, replacing the ill-fated Cafe Toulouse (near Barnet County Court). No reports on how good it is yet.
- The new fish and chip shop opposite The Malt and Hops in North Finchley is
- Majjo's in East Finchley (next to Barclays Bank) - excellent deli-style Indian takeaway. (But where's Man With The 'Tache gone?) Casa Pepe, E.F. High Road, does the biggest and best all-day breakfast to be found anywhere. Also Chorak's cafe/bakery/art gallery, E.F. High Road, - great food, but seem to be trying to enforce a starvation diet of late.
- Fishmongers - A J Scott & Son. 94 High Road, East Finchley, London N2. Telephone : 0181-444-7606. Near the junction of High Road and Fortis Green. Now owned and run by Clive, and ably assisted by Lennie. Fresh Fish daily from the market every morning. Open Tuesday - Saturday. All types of Fish, Seafood and fishy delicacies.
- Check out Man Chui Chinese resturant. Crispy duck pancakes are yummy!
- wierd north african cuisine at "la hacieda mediterraniene" dirt cheap and filling ,really helpful owner if you'r not au fait with algerian food Fancy a curry try Raghmahal ace
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: sophie, Karin Dale, Caroline Massey, Kernow Pete, Ken W, guy, Chris, Erik Bramall, Stephen Yeo, Daniel, Rupert M. Kosmala, Rose Major, Joanne Finn, Simon Waters, Mr.Cambell, Jive Guru, Stomp!, Ally, McBain, Steph, Sarah Tash, Oz Oscroft, maxinef, lord isalord, G.Paterson, Rasik Shah, Mr.Hoplton, Pete Grant, steve, Ian Edgar, rufus, Eva Sicka, email@example.com, Richard, Steve Murray, Id, robertmckenzie, Adam Turner, Hugh Morrison, JOHN SMITH, Harry, mic, Sarah T, julie, Dom, vickib, MikeX42@aol.com, Adrian Short, Torrance Payne, Paul Evans, Pippin, cecilia, Peter Kelsey, tasha, Paul Musker, Mark Warner, Connie L. Childress, generic, Cameron, denis, Steve Gardner, janet ford, tina, keith, Bert, Hayley, Caroline, Oli, John, Sinclair, eve, Nigel Vandyk
Last updated: 2009-12-26
More stuff about Finchley
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Finchley Knowhere Board