The Best Things in Glasgow, Strathclyde*
If you're around, be sure to check these things out
You can tell us more about Glasgow.
The Best Things
- The Stand Comedy Club! Comedy 7 nights a week with prices ranging from £2 - £10. www.thestand.co.uk
- my mates
- all the clubs and places to eat and the atmosphere in the city.
- people are friendly
the wee corner shop near Dury's Inn in Govan which was near Ibrox (dunno what it was called)
- GEAR BIKE SHOP ON GIBSON ST , HILLHEAD , GET DOWN THERE MAN !!
- THE SHOPS!
- Most Glaswegians are very friendly people and genuinely helpful to visitors like myself.
- There's lot of stuff. I just don't have time to list them all, honest.
- Ibrox stadium is by far the best domestic football stadium in the country. It is the only one with a Uefa 5 star rating (amongst only a handful in the UK) which means in can host a major European football final. Unlike Parkhead which is thrown together with bits of corrugated iron and is full of soap dodgers and benefit cheats. And forget the new refurbished Hampden...what a pile of shite!
- in life ur free
Hey check out this cool recording studio in Glasgows Westend. We had a great recording session & payed a great price. Gotta be the cheapest.
GoGoStudios Multimedia email@example.com
For professionals & the creative on a budget!
- loads a great skating and bm riding spots
- Do'in cunts!
- Culture,shops friends
- Well, it truly is a remarkable city. People who live here always have a pride that outshines the dullness life sometimes throws.
It's the only city in the western world (outside NYC) that has a community that extends from one end to the other.
- The city centre's been done up over the last 5-10 years and is quite nice now. Shame about the rest of the place.
- The unique nature of the people, usually drunk, but really friendly.
- JAPAN 4
- bowlingball.co.uk - funniest site about Glasgow I have seen in a long time.
- The bus , train and airport facilities , because they get you the fuck out of there and out of scotland if you're lucky .
- The summer some times the sun comes out so check out the local parks (just not after dark)I particularly like the Botanic Garden in the west end.
- Glasgow RANGERS!
Parkhead shopping Centre!
Fish and Chip suppers! Mmmmmmmm!
- the calton tongs
- The District of MARYHILL in Glasgow,Sadly Most of Old-Maryhill is being Demolished & the Burgh Halls is a pathetic Shadow of its Former Self.Its also sad to see the Lack of Pride in Maryhill Residents for Their Once Thriving Community.And Can I Just say that 'North Kelvinside' IS in Maryhill,property developers just changed the name to try & distance themselves from the Grubby-Rough Image of Maryhill.
- It's actually not four years out of date. Everything in Glasgow is the same as what that guy was talking about. You still get the wee mad Glasgow neds. Everywhere! And the menchies, young teams, fights and all the rest of it!
- The fact that Glasgow is so close to hills and fields and lochs la la la lets go and pick flowers and talk to trees
- Pool Halls - Porters Bar, Strathclyde Union. Cheap clubs, cheaper food, cheaper women
- the best proffesional team in glasgow Partick Thistle
- the best proffesional team in glasgow Partick Thistle
- There arn't any, Glasgow has declined somewhat irreversibly over the past year or two. The best thing that anybody could do for Glasgow is knock the whole place down and leave.
- now the grouse season is finished why not try ned hunting a fun and in expensive way to while away those long summer nights , all equipment ( bear traps and cross bows for example) can be bought illegaly at the barras market and bait is cheap and readily available at any off license!
- Kelvingrove Park on a sunny day, a bag of green and a beautiful chicks!
- The West End - yes there are plenty of yuppie idiots there, but there's also a lot of diversity, good pubs, Ashton Lane, street artists and lots of taxis! If you stay around there, you never need to leave.
- One of me mates lives there
- Food drink football music.
- UNDERcut , check out the web site at www.undercut.notrix.net and laugh at their amazing origin.
- They way people give you directions if you ask for them :)
- Raze 2000 tan cafe at great western road just a minute from bar oz is a cool wee place. A lot of celebs go here but it has been unlucky to have had the plonkers westlife in it's list of famous customers. Friendliest staff around and the prices are reasonable their sunbeds include Scotland 1st Sunboard excellent and Black Beauty & Beautifull Princes(Beds) Sundome (vertical tanner)Hot & Cold drinks are served, great hot choc!! Water coolers for after your session! Have to try to believe!
- rangers winning!!!!!! CHEWIN THE FAT ...nice women.......
- Big Tits!
- Glasgow have some of the funniest, wittiest patter merchants in the world. Also the beer is much better in Glasgow (Tennents, Mcewans, Youngers etc)than down south. Also Glaswegians are a strong willed, outspoken people who will speak their minds against injustice and poverty in the face of elitist adversity.
- Yates bar in the Central Station, great food, great barstaff and the drinks not bad either. stairs a bit dodgy if your blootered mind!
- Everything! The people are sooo friendly. I lived in London for a year and thats what I noticed the most, every time I came home. Even the shop assistants cant do enough for you - that lassie in the Diesel shop was particularly helpful the last time I was there! Sunny days in Kelvingrove Park; Byres Road; the shops; the street entertainers; the pubs, clubs and restaurants; the culture. Its PDB!
- The road out of Glasgow
- Motor Show - spinning minis
- THE GARAGE! 9 bars, 4 floors, cheesy music, R'N'B, dance, freindly, safe, chill out, go mental, 100's of people, play pool, sit on the balcany, Karaoke with the lovely Nichola, relaxed, cheap and very cheerful, great PR staff, central, A JEWEL IN THE CROWN OF GLASGOW CITY CENTRE!
- um, the fact that heart disease and other things are killing lots of hygeinically challenged Glaswegians! Hoorah!
- erm....the tourists
- CCA, Arches, new architecture and developments in the city
- Glasgow Rangers FC
- Great music at that 'Rufus T firefly' place off sauchiehall, could always find some interesting things/junk in barrowland, glasgow uni biology girls, Enterprise amusements near the Central station, the parks aroun' glasgow uni.
- The people - Glaswegians are the friendliest folk you'll ever come across. It's true what they say - even if you are on your own, you are never lonely in Glasgow.
- The people, the shops, pubs, city centre architecture, Hampden park, irn bru, pollock park, the underground, celtic connections festival, the barras, gaelic speakers, the music scene, the general atmosphere.
- The best thing aboout Glasgow has just ,so much got to be the greatest team Celtic . I enjoy watching them win every game they play
- Oh,lots of stuff... my mates, largely! The crowd that hang out in the places that I go to, the fact of living in a very European city, the late licences, the exciting events that come here... lots of stuff.
- Flip, Flip basement, hanging about at the Modern Art gallery.
- the west end, the excellent pubs, the botanic gardens in summer, shops, good music venues, loadsa cool folk, the way that that if you listen to the drunk old men they actually say things with sound political meaning such as 'fuck the queen, i'm off to my bed', the fact that speaking in glasgow accent will get you fear anywhere........ HISTORY
- The people, the pubs, the clubs, the shops. Plenty of culture with a laid back atmosphere.
- you can get some great dodgy deals
- VISITORS TO THE CITY MAY LOVE OR LOATHE IT BUT THE TRUE LOVE FOR THE CITY BY GLASWEIGANS WILL NEVER BE OVERSHADOWED! THE PEOPLE ARE AMONGST THE MOST GENUINE, DOWN-TO-EARTH SOULS YOU'LL FIND. THERE'S NO AIRS AND GRACES AND EVERYONE IS TREATED AS A FELLOW COMMRADE! THE WIDE CONNECTIONS WITH NORTHERN IRELAND/ IRELAND IN THE CITY ARE SOMETHING PEOPLE ARE VERY PROUD OF. THERE MAY BE BITTERNESS WITH THE DIFFERING RELIGIONS OF THE TWO RIVAL TEAMS BUT THE PEOPLE OF NORTHERN IRELAND AND THE REPUBLIC WILL ALWAYS BE MADE TO FEEL AT HOME BY LOADS OF PEOPLE IN THE CITY WHO FEEL STRONG IN THE TROUBLES AROSS THE WATER! THIS FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN THE THE TWO IS EVIDENT AT THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO TRAVEL BACK AND FORWARD BETWEEN THE TWO COUNTRIES.
- Glasgow City centre - it's so full of life, everybody getting down to it, enjoying themselves, I love the place.
- Pubs, clubs, architecture, the buzz, the music, the shops
- The nightlife
- The 'Clockwork Orange'- Glasgow's train set - that updated piece of mastery which ensures that the stranger, the incapacitated or the unsound in mind can never get lost through the miracle of Victorian forthought of returning them eventually but safely to where they started off. Unlike London where you can spend a small part of your life trying to get out of that maze they call an Underground or end up abandoned in mid suburbia at some god forsaken 'end of line'.
- Tonbridge boasts three of the best schools in the country; Tonbridge School, Judd and the Girls Grammer. There is some very attractive countryside around the town, very popular with walkers. It's not as snobby or expensive as Tunbridge Wells!
- Partick Thistle live in Glasgow
- The women
- Best thing about Glasgow is definitely the people - do not be alarmed if strangers talk to you at bus stops as if they have known you all their lives, or if wee men in pubs offer to buy you a pint and talk to you all afternoon about eveything and nothing. Worst thing - unfortunately - the weather, although we had a belter of a summer in 1995. Maybe Glasgow will be the only place to actually benefit from global warming! NEW - 1996 Festival of Visual Arts and new Gallery of Modern Art round the corner from the Rogano - well seen that bloody National Lottery is good fur somethin'!
- Love Boutique at the Arches, 1st Saturday of each month. Best Night: Saturday night at the Sub Club or the Art School.
- Best Bars: Bar Miros, the Gate, Nicos, the Big Blue, Cul de Suc.
- Brian Laudrup at Rangers F.C.
- The best thing about Glasgow are/ were the HUGE sumo wrestlers who dwelt behind St. Enoch Center!
Sadly the sumo wrestlers are no longer in residence.
- Check out the city's West End for the best in pubs, clubs, music shops and generally weird and wonderful characters. Also the weekend market at the Barrowland which still doubles as the city's best music venue at nights. (Closely followed by King Tut`s Wah Wah Hut). P.S. Forget the mainstream appeal of local music like Simple Minds and Wet Wet Wet - wait for new Glasgow band Bis - new music for 1996 and sure to be the next Big thing.
- Excellent clublife: Sub-Club on Saturday & Thursday.
- Good music: Glasgow Green for the World Pipe Band Championships. (That's two in a row for Canada. A far cry from the Strathclyde Police Powerhouse of the 1980's Championships.
- Good pubs for sure.
- Kelvinbridge Park on sunny days.
- The end of the football season.
- Best place for living? Southside. But shh...
- When in Glasgow take advantage of the Arts-buy The List, and check out galleries, operas, concerts, movies, clubs, exhibits, plays there's loads going on and you can get tickets cheap (especially if your a student)
- Pubs and Offies that serve under-agers The birds The bevvy The students
- The non bigotted side of Glasgow ---Partick thistle "THE JAGS"
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Kevin Burleigh, Tom Murray, emma watson, Gary B, mick, jonny snee, brian robinson, neil, Andy Roberts, modeski, janet, Tony Love, Mike Kulwicki, Ashley, Russell Cassidy, Karl', Joker, andy brown, chrisy, Claire, Malky, Iain Sandlan, Ciaran M., Dave, jay hoolihan, Samantha, frank, audrey horton, Natalie, ricky, Drew, lj, johnny, Robert Shah, Magnum, pauline connolly, m0r1arty, Noeleen-Anne Murphy, LM, sam coleman, sarah, Kevin Wilson, David Cameron, Ross Aitchison, tom simpson, Yon Yin, stacey, ivor biggun, Pooka, jules, SARAH LAKER, andrea, Decci, Morag Malloy, jonathan emery, Angie P, Windmill, jake, Becky Thomson, leighlou, tommy hopper, Mike, matt, Steve Kelly, Michael Devaney, bigjtlh, fi, Andy C, ybf ya bass, Hecotr, DRUNKEN JOCK, gemma, Jamie, laure, hoggie, alannisbet, peter the painter, JENNY, *, STUART ELLIOTT, settlov, amserious, Jimmy, David Tait, darren, tino, Disco Davy, Robert Gillespie, jcn, jiop, Max Murphy, Michael Cameron, paul jarvie, Dauvit Alexander, SRD, Lorna, Kerr, Andy, Teresa Attwater, jim thomas, Phil Howie, Mike Malcolm, Tracy, Susan J Matthews, Peter Halliday, David Evans, Katie Sutherland, Niall, FRASER MCNEILL, Lennox Ogilvie, iain, jav, Mizium, Gunner, louise, Skate Cambie, Craig Morris, wee man, Kenny Hamilton, lukez, James, electrochix, Alice, Kelly McGachy, Jess, joe Blow, ruth mackenzie, ed smith, Brian, Neil Burrows, rebecca ridding, James Grady, Fergie, cat, marky wilson, Hazel, Unhappy, Jen Lavery, Phil, jason, jackie, teggs, Nokbongwa, sappa, Trip, David, peter, GCHALMERS, Anne Horner, Stephen, Stuart Forsyth, James Murray, Fitlike, Ash Duffy, Andy Steele, Kev Stronach, caitlyn maccabe, Jane, David Roddie, Swirly, Brian Mcculloch, Derek Sweeney, margaret bean, M., m.c.muir, tim mc tim, stu, Vic Reeves, JOE MCDOUGLE, j, ian, claire mccluskey, john smith, Wodieskodie, Paul Climie, Kamilah Neighbors, kelsey, Neil gilkison, Nobreath, susan, Alan, Zhan McIntyre, Derek Dunnington, Suzanne C, generic, Katie, Danny, nemisis, jerry adams, Vikki Laing, Audrey, paul mcdonagh, Michael, mark bryans, Ronnie, Paula McGuinness, COLIN FRASER, kyle.campbell, wilkie, yungster, Shirley, Holly, Kelly Durham, Muninn, Ray, catherine s, Alex Boyd, bevy, Rob, wolfie1979, gordyboy, Gary Boi, Louise Carruthers, Deputy Davieboy, jennifer, John, Gillian, TD, David Reilly, Douglas Nicol
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Glasgow
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Glasgow Knowhere Board