Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Glasgow, Strathclyde*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Glasgow.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- the Fratelies held their first gig at O'HENRYS BAR 14 DRURY ST GLASGOW
Just refurbished still does gigs FREE in downstairs bar
- Franz Ferdinand and Muse, me thinks...
- Alex Kapranos from Franz Ferdinand is infact English. He was born in the South of England and then grew up in South shields and Sunderland in the North East. His parents are Greek and English. Not exactly a Glaswegian!
- NOT SEEN ANYONE MENTION MANCHESTER UNITED MANAGER ALEX FERGUSON WHO WAS BROUGHT UP IN GLASGOW. OR OUR MORE INFAMOUS CHARACTERS SUCH AS ARTHUR THOMPSON PAUL FERRIS TAM MCGRAW etc
- birky is the home of peter manuel and jinky johnston.
- idlewild are not from glasgow they are an edinburgh band,also ewan mcgregor is from perth in the north of scotland.
- Tons of homeless folk, binmen etc. Paul Ferris, Tam McGraw. Carol Smiley used to live nearby, but there was something about tanning salons and stuff... I can't really remember.
- I may be fizikullie here bit am in thi Espanas .
Hey check out this cool recording studio in Glasgows Westend. We had a great recording session & payed a great price. Gotta be the cheapest.
GoGoStudios Multimedia email@example.com
For professionals & the creative on a budget!
- Alex Kapranos from Franz Ferdinand is Glasweigian (sorry if I've spelled that wrongly). I love Franz Ferdinand!
- Aye me!
- LU LU Thank god
The STV presenters
Fred Mc Aulay
- UCK, some people, Jimmy Sommerville used to live round the corner from me bfore he was famous!
- Go to the West-End for this. Byres Road/Kelvinside to watch all the Carole Smillie wannabes/2 'happy' boys from the Million Pound Property Experiment programme wannabes - plenty of them in Glasgow.
- Charlie Nicholas, the man who introduced the dreaded 'cityation' (situation) to football commentary, pretty good footballer though..
- Rennie MacIntosh
- BIFFY CLYRO. IDLEWILD. How could anyone miss those two utterly fantastic indie bands out.
- I heard Rafiel Sheildt was in Glasgow once , but maybee I heard wrong .
- Sensational Alex Harvey - Woohoo.
- The boys from Travis (band)
Darius Danesh and David Sneddon singer song writers if u can call em that Hardy har.
- Fran from travis lived the next street down from me in the south side i still see him very occasionally visiting family and friends!
- Darius Danesh went to Bearsden Primary with me. A loaner and 2 feet taller than anyone else.
- Travis - they're huge in the US. But fuck Michael Jackson buying a castle over here!
- Glasgow is full media whores and wannabes and drunken footballers. Go to Cube or Barbaza and you will more than likely bump into Old Firm stars.
- DARIUS DANSESH
UNDERCUT best band EVA u'll never remember the name!
- Kenny Hyslop, drummer with SLIK etc now lives in Glasgow.
- all the footballers seem to kick about in Trash!
- Claire Grogan
- Robert Carlyle, star of many great films including Trainspotting, James Bond and Angela's Ashes to name but a few.......
- RDLaing Jerry Sadowitz and Ian Brady all went to my school in the SOUTHSIDE
- why does my friend meet robert carlyle in a club, and i drunkenly stagger into lorraine kelly?
- The aforementioned Mr. Kay..... the 'Big Yin', with whom I am tenously linked.. yon wee Jo McFadden off the Crow Road went to my school.
- LuLu, Willie Miller(old football) Kenny Dalglish(u know him!)
- All of the world famous Lisbon Lions were born within a 15 mile radius of Parkhead...I bet no other team in the world will ever produce better home-grown talent than that!
- Sorry Glasgow, Shirley Manson does NOT come from there, she is an Edinburgh girl born and bred. Keep dreaming though.
- Carol Smillie is everywhere. Loads of Gucci-clad footballers. Travis, Belle & Sebastien. Various Taggart extras and the cast of High Road.
- Rita - from Club30! a wee gem of a lady and a disco queen.Salt of the earth!
- Dirk Bogarde went to school in Bishopbriggs
- WELL IN RECENT YEARS WE'VE HAD QUITE A NUMBER OF CELEBS EMERGE FROM THE CITY. TRAVIS, WHO ARE CURRENTLY ENJOYING SUCCESS IN THE UK CHARTS ARE FROM THE NORTH OF GLASGOW. THE BAND TEXAS AGAIN ENJOYING SUCCESS IN THE CHARTS, ALL STILL RESIDENTS OF THE CITY. THE LEAD SINGER SHIRLEY MANSUN OF GARBABE AGAIN IS A GLASWEIGAN GIRL. EWAN MACGREGOR, FROM THE DRAMA TRAINSPOTTING, STILL RETURNS TO GLASGOW TO VISIT HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS. OTHER CELEBS WHO HAVE ALSO HAD SUCCESS IN THE UK WERE WET, WET, WET,DEACON BLUE, LULU, SHEENA EASTON.....
- emmmmmmmm mero the pop sensation lived in Paisley and the x band 911 came fae here
- Midge Ure is from Cambuslang... it wasn't just Bob Geldof that did the Live Aid thing you know!
- Sandy Nelson. Mel Gibsons brother in Braveheart.
- Carlo Smiley and the whole cast of Rab C Nesmith, oh yes and some bloke called Gazza
- Bobby Bluebell (of Bluebells fame?) can be seen in any semi-trendy boozer extorting free coffee from someone. Guarunteed at openings. Iron Man of rock - the lead singer from Del amitri (who he?) can be seen looking decidedly un-iron-like. Phil Kay (incredible comedian) lives on Woodlands Road. Sinita (Love on a Mountain Top etc) is dating the 'brains' behind King City Leisure (who own Archaos and most other buildings now), Stefan King, and can be seen looking hellish at siad club from time to time. Robbie Coltrane shows up from time to time.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Kevin Burleigh, Tom Murray, emma watson, Gary B, mick, jonny snee, brian robinson, neil, Andy Roberts, modeski, janet, Tony Love, Mike Kulwicki, Ashley, Russell Cassidy, Karl', Joker, andy brown, chrisy, Claire, Malky, Iain Sandlan, Ciaran M., Dave, jay hoolihan, Samantha, frank, audrey horton, Natalie, ricky, Drew, lj, johnny, Robert Shah, Magnum, pauline connolly, m0r1arty, Noeleen-Anne Murphy, LM, sam coleman, sarah, Kevin Wilson, David Cameron, Ross Aitchison, tom simpson, Yon Yin, stacey, ivor biggun, Pooka, jules, SARAH LAKER, andrea, Decci, Morag Malloy, jonathan emery, Angie P, Windmill, jake, Becky Thomson, leighlou, tommy hopper, Mike, matt, Steve Kelly, Michael Devaney, bigjtlh, fi, Andy C, ybf ya bass, Hecotr, DRUNKEN JOCK, gemma, Jamie, laure, hoggie, alannisbet, peter the painter, JENNY, *, STUART ELLIOTT, settlov, amserious, Jimmy, David Tait, darren, tino, Disco Davy, Robert Gillespie, jcn, jiop, Max Murphy, Michael Cameron, paul jarvie, Dauvit Alexander, SRD, Lorna, Kerr, Andy, Teresa Attwater, jim thomas, Phil Howie, Mike Malcolm, Tracy, Susan J Matthews, Peter Halliday, David Evans, Katie Sutherland, Niall, FRASER MCNEILL, Lennox Ogilvie, iain, jav, Mizium, Gunner, louise, Skate Cambie, Craig Morris, wee man, Kenny Hamilton, lukez, James, electrochix, Alice, Kelly McGachy, Jess, joe Blow, ruth mackenzie, ed smith, Brian, Neil Burrows, rebecca ridding, James Grady, Fergie, cat, marky wilson, Hazel, Unhappy, Jen Lavery, Phil, jason, jackie, teggs, Nokbongwa, sappa, Trip, David, peter, GCHALMERS, Anne Horner, Stephen, Stuart Forsyth, James Murray, Fitlike, Ash Duffy, Andy Steele, Kev Stronach, caitlyn maccabe, Jane, David Roddie, Swirly, Brian Mcculloch, Derek Sweeney, margaret bean, M., m.c.muir, tim mc tim, stu, Vic Reeves, JOE MCDOUGLE, j, ian, claire mccluskey, john smith, Wodieskodie, Paul Climie, Kamilah Neighbors, kelsey, Neil gilkison, Nobreath, susan, Alan, Zhan McIntyre, Derek Dunnington, Suzanne C, generic, Katie, Danny, nemisis, jerry adams, Vikki Laing, Audrey, paul mcdonagh, Michael, mark bryans, Ronnie, Paula McGuinness, COLIN FRASER, kyle.campbell, wilkie, yungster, Shirley, Holly, Kelly Durham, Muninn, Ray, catherine s, Alex Boyd, bevy, Rob, wolfie1979, gordyboy, Gary Boi, Louise Carruthers, Deputy Davieboy, jennifer, John, Gillian, TD, David Reilly, Douglas Nicol
Last updated: 2008-02-27
More stuff about Glasgow
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Glasgow Knowhere Board