The place to go for a lazy afternoon, pub quiz or last call
You can tell us more about Grimsby.
- most of the decent pubs have been replaced by large noisy pens for cattle, but i relise this is not specific to grimsby. the matrix is the best remaining bar, but although it didn't open until the 21st century, it feels a little 1994. a few cheap drinks and a game of pool and who cares.
- THE BARGE without a doubt.
- Tap and Spile - cool surroundings, no scum, friendly to locals and visitors alike. Top grub. Recommended.
- dn31 has to be one of the best outside the riverhead which is a bit of a dive if there regularly
- Try the new 'improved' Wheatsheaf. No scumbag townies, but pricey in a DFS showroom-with-a-bar kinda manner...
- Tap & Spile and Swigs. Both seem to have a reputation that they're only places for older people. True, they're not too hot on the "Fresh-faced" lot, but they're not full of old doggies going on about how things were "better in the old days". And the beers are good (cheaper in Swigs; more variety in the Tap & Spile). And the food's nice (very good value in the Tap & Spile).
And The Venue's OK for a late night drink (open late most days).
- The barge and lloyds arms are the best GY pubs hands down. Nice people, cheap drinks, great music, and when they close it's 30 seconds via a cash machine to gullies. The barge is awesome for a cool night out, alot of people have been going there since they where knee high to a grass hoppper, but it's not like that really. Everyone who goes there are college students.
- the valliant in grimsby is a fantastic place the only thing that lets it down is the dodgy disco think its called powerplay or something the dj is called stuart and he is full of himself apart from that the place is nice with friendly people and is a must visit if you live in the area.
- NUNNY TAVERN, managed to get away with only two scars on face but very proud all the same. the Acklam arms on a saturday night on the nunny.
- If you like your sport with a pint, Jubilee on the Wybers is the place to be. And for England footy internationals it's the only place to see Pie Page demonstrate his illustrious ball skills after a few gallons! 4 pint jugs most days and the wonderfull Green Frog experience - got to be tried at least once. Foods not bad either - shame about the bright yellow exterior, makes it look like a lump of lard!
- You can forget about the Wheatsheaf these days. It's gone all upmarket, taken out the TVs and the pool table, and upped the prices of the drinks. The food is overpriced for what you get. What was once a great student place is now just a very smart looking, but boring, pub.
- I can seriously recommend not bothering with any of them in Grimsby,if ya like ya face the way it is,best off gettin down one of the parks with ya booze
- Geoff Tims the successful author of the modern poetry book Visions Of Life has brought out a new book called Deca which can be seen at www.coolpublications.com or at the authors official website. If you would like to know more information about poetry or would like to talk direct to the author then visit his official website.
- The barge is still the best place to go 4 a swift bevvie or 10. Just don't get on the wrong side of Pig!!
- REMEMBER::: stay away from the exchange! lol
- For a good night out try lloyds arms, barge then new whetherspoons for a cheeky one then go to gullies at about 12.30! alternatively got to p+m ,walkabout, yates then casualty.
- As a fresh-faced (ahem) youngster must say the Barge sorted me out - going back about 15 years now though - listening to ROCK, drinking Newky Brown and smoking Marlborough reds - Kurt Cobain hadn't even arrived on the seen let alone killed himself, but the Barge did grunge well before Seattle
- CLEETHORPES OKAY,GRIMSBY S SHIT FOR A NIGHT OUT.
- EVER SINCE THE 70s THE BARGE IT BEGAN AS A OFFICE WORKERS PUB THEY WERE GRADUALLY PUSHED OUT BY STUDENTS IT BECAME THE MEETING PLACE FOR ALL GOING TO GULLIES AFTER FULL OF GOTHS AND PUNKS ON TUESDAYS AND FRIDAYS
- Swigs. It's good beer and friendly. Safe. Characters. No neon.
- behind the barge is an all new band of pubs these are chicago rock, walkabout, wetherspoons and yates's (which is just about to open) theyre all a bit upmarket though compared to the rest of town
Check Out The Web Site:
- The barge, ye olde musician, lloyds are the best pubs in grimsby. The best club is gullies even if ure feet do stik to the carpet and u cant breathe in there.
- any pub that serves alcohol is good enough for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- despite the outlook the exchange in town is farely good but beware of the young uns! woods is good also and dont try p & m, aids is for live not for a day!
- most of the top town pubs are aimed at the younger clientel, freeman street is more for your proper drinkers. wellington, sinatras, angel, the famous "billy cairns", corporation,white beer, white knight, kent arms. all in freeman st. should siit all tastes.
- SWIGS. the intelligensia go here, listen to jazz and drum & bass, but then ruin their cred by going to Hollywoods. great fun. cheap booze on tuesdays and fridays. avoid going early, theres old men about! i'll miss you guys. its quite narrow in there.
- Th Litten Tree (old Chambers knocked through!!) - not bad if want something to eat if in town shopping.
Best place to avoid disco divas! and listen to decent music(ie. Not Dance, techno etc.) is Lloyds & Barge.
Wetherspoons good for meeting at beginning of night pub crawl - cheapish beer.
- barge 4 grebs, newhere that dunt look posh
- Barge, Lincoln Castle, O'Neils, Wheatsheaf, the Tap, if you wanna get beaten up there's always Willy's evil cousin?
- Gullivers, or the Barge, if you're greebo
- Hope and Anchor, good for lock-ins most weekends
- These are in New Waltham.Harvest Moon(which is now under a makeover)
And the Farmhouse which is accross the road from the Harvest Moon
- What's a grebo? Definition please. (Directed at Wybers Youth...)
- My 'local' used to be the Barge, and then on to Gullivers or 'Gullies' where I had a membership card by the time I was 16. Me and my friend used to go mad 3 times a week there drinking pints of Diesel (snakebite & black to outsiders) and vomit in various places on the carpet. I went a couple of years ago and they still had the same carpet. And the same DJ called Julian.
- The Jubliee on Wybers Wood, stinks but it does a good sunday dinner!!
- meggies is ace on a sunday night the pubs are packed its cheap ok it closes early but its well worth trying it i would recomend voodoo loung bootlegger the bar racuda the sub the dolly and schuberts and then you could always trot up[ to park lane where considering its an over 25's club under aged drinkers seem to get in there
- best pub this town ever had was the "WHITEHART" , it was`nt full of snotty nosed kids , just bloody nosed blokes !
- loads of 'em
all full to the brim with the saltiest array of seadogs put together in one small ex-fishing town.
- Tap and Spile, local CAMRA pub of the Year 2000. Forget tasteless lager and drink some real beer!!
- Go in the barge for weird looks and if you hide theres a nightly lock in
- The wheetsheeth - the weetie - the sheef ... ahh such memories of underage drinking
- Wheatsheaf is a great student pub for cheap beer and hours of fun on the play station
- The Barge..need I say more?
- THe Holton-le-Clay Cricket Club: Let Mick Picking regale you with his experiences of living with Kev Davy. Paul Rowe will delight you with tales of woe and his time in the higher reaches of amateur football. B-B-Q's served by Keith Bickley, and the finest cricket team in Lincolnshire is ready to entertain you. You never know Graham Cardwell might turn up!
- The Wheatsheaf is a very good pub, contary to earlier suggestions, I missed many a lesson there on a summer afternoon.
- Wetherspoons - 2 for £6
- Try SWIGS on Bethlehem Street behind the back of the main Post Office for a decent pint and a relaxed atmosphere. The food at lunch time is rather good too.
- Decent pubs? Well Swigs is too small. Tap & Spile is smart, pub of the year or something...
- A friendly pub is "The Royal Oak" at Holton Le Clay, a couple of miles south of Grimsby on the A16 towards Louth. Live music on Saturday nights during the winter. Decent food at a decent price during early evening. Happy hour, Friday nights from 5-7p.m. (Many beers 1.10 per pint). Quiz night Sundays. Landlord - Ex Grimsby Town goalkeeper extroadinaire, Mr. Nigel Batch.
- Four new pubs are due to open in 1997, or so I read in the local paper over Christmas. Best ones at the moment are still Swigs and The Wheatsheaf.
- If you're looking for trendy pubs then go to Chambers or Edwards. That's about your lot so it's best going to Cleethorpes. The rest of the pubs are for indie or rock lovers.
- LLoyds, The Barge, Chambers on Saturday between 9 and 10, £1 a pint. Edwards for loads of people.
- Swigs, espeically after work when it's nice and quiet and full of old men. At least you get chance to sit down.
- The Imp on Match days
- Swigs is ok - it's too small, too bright, it feels like a DENTISTS WAITING ROOM - but worth it for the beer. Only place I've ever been were the Stella doesn't taste like oxtail soup...used to have the dukebox on free too. But beware, BEARDO-WIERDO's!!
- Once accompanied some lads from Sweden on a night out - they couldn't believe how many pubs there were in town centre. Come to think of it there ARE a lot of pubs in town centre. Try them all !
- Lloyds, Lloyds, Lloyds!!!! Brill music (Rock) brill atmosphere, brill people. Loads of happy hour type thingies, check out the blackoard!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: George, paul thompson, gilly, DavidDavidson, Richard Davidson, drummergirl, sdf, Chris + Damien, emma hall, KEITH, Mike Smith, bobbie socks, Pete Dixey, Chris Borum, Moonhead, Rick S., laura paddey, Dan Harris, mark daynes, Vicky, Ruth LeCore, faa2000uk, BadBoy, adam, mono vintage, scott, Myra, GC, Andy B., geoff tims, hannah, RORY STORM, jimbob, katie, leon shepherd, Paula, craig barker, bomber, J. Parkin, sarah, stacey, said the 'g' word, would prefer to remain anonymous if grimb, gee, Chris Robinson, jimsippo, Z, indra, H Coleman, mike, ray moody, Dan McLoughlin, lesley, DANNY THOMO, Donna, matt, theasbolad, barry, Selina, a.humble, gemma, Sam, Ben, hEIDI, sandra reynolds, dawn_61, Ray Richardson, bazza, martyn hurst, matty davies, jo, Ghandi, triff, r. andrews, amanda ov grimsby, matty, Snella, BILLY, Mark Ladlow, paul, linzi white, mark, samantha, Andy Male, Jake Powell, Jim, mimi, Dan, Inchy, adz, wesk8, dave kershaw, Miles, Natasha Bowers, CE, blakey, UP the Town Down the Beer, john warner, Rich Davidson, dave, Sss, matty rowlands, katey, Batman_col, simon dale, Vanilla Ice, badgerwoman, RHYS, Sam Aisthorpe, jo lander, Nick, IaN, Jenni, fabric retro clothing, i want emma grimes' tight blonde bumhole, ellie, peter, Robert, kik, gra, R U Ferkinshaw, Margaret Campbell, anon, GySkate, A vicious Fiend, stu, Iain, bez, NIGEL GEARING, tim gill, woja, Joe Marshall, Wilks, David Shipley, bunny, charlottte manally, Vicki lucy pippa angela caroline, liam, ANDY T, malc, Ryan, Michelle Ashton, generic, J3ski80, northern lass, Ben Wilkinson, len cposey, Barry Winterton, gareth, BabyCakes, penny, volcomik, m.a.willie, tw, Tony Ford is a legend, Mighty Mariner, rob, katey christie, Moggy, Daniel Cooper, andy, Joe Barker, Brian Henderson, Milly, Marshy, John Stacey, bump, becks, Lauren Blyth, Kim, Tee, Alyson Thomson, SEAN, Jessica, bob, Speedhorn_gimp, Steve
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Grimsby
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Grimsby Knowhere Board