Pubs in Guisborough, Cleveland*
The place to go for a lazy afternoon, pub quiz or last call
You can tell us more about Guisborough.
- We need more upmarket pubs in Guisborough. Yes I am probably one of the snobs someone keeps going on about on here, but come on... the Buck, Kings Head and Swan are not exactly places you would spend more than one drink in! The Fox was nice in about 1998 when it was refurbished but since then is tatty and full of 40-year-old tarts.
Tap & Spile is probably the best pub in Guisborough. Good music, good ale and good company.
- The Huntsman on a monday night, decent quiz with Sham the window cleaner!
- The Courtyard was good until the witches of westgate took control.... I can imagine its still alright... If your not barred out that is...!!!
Oh, and i heard the gay night at the Quoits club on a Tuesday is very 'friendly'...........
- ........Oh, scratch that... I was thinking of the Quoits club in Gainsborough.... I mean, what was i thinking..... Gays in Guisborough...!! Goodness me................
- WORST PUB IS DEFENATLY THE MERMAID ( tap and spile ) , WIPE AWAY 500 YEARS OF GRIME OFF THE WINDOW AND PEER THROUGH TO WITNESS A BAR FULL OF BLUE RINCE,S PICKING AT A OAP MARKETDAY LUNCH SPECIAL , WHAT A DUMP .
- Best pub in Guisborough is THE STARS , nice girls , nice pint , realy friendly clientel , good music although it would be better if they played Britpop , frindly bar staff , another good pub is The swan , with friendly clientel and it,s oldy feel with all the horse brasses and stuff ,The Anchor allright as well , CARN,T Stand The Courtyard it,s shit AND so is THE MERMAID or THE TAP as it,s called now it, the very worst pub for miles around . THE FOX used to be good till they knocked it all about , its crap now . Buck uesed tobe good too in the late eighty,s but not anymore ,.
- the courtyard good beer and a £1 a pint every day before 7 10/10
- Everyone harps on about the ayengerbrau lager in the Anchor but believe me the cider is better. Speshly on a hot day in the garden, eating the plums off the tree!
- The Anchor - Slightly different to someones front room but not much.
The Tap & Spile - rather overrated. Po-faced landlady to put it politely - make sure you hold your pints corrently. Some mystical fella called Doug who doesn't fancy it in there any more.
The Abbey Inn - An interesting place to visit (if you can find it) - it hasn't changed since the 70's (barring the fact that they are now coming round to the idea of accepting new pence for pints of Samuel Smiths)
The Huntsman - In a cool part of town: the place has been totally overhauled since the "St George Cross" on the ceiling area. This means no more In door games of bowls right in front of the main bar and a landlord with a disposition to say "a what!!?" everytime you order. New management are trying very hard to get in a posher target market.
The Voyager - if it aint broke don't fix it! old building with tonnes of G'boro character was demolished to be replaced with a highly expensive "mock ye olde england" building. They are more interested in the food than drink, but it's excellent if you like that kind of pub.
The Seven Stars - I used to work in there...it was rather rough and erm, who actually likes Heiniken?. Haven't been back for 5 years now so I can't comment.
The Black Swan - how many other pubs in Britain have a tiny upstairs TV room - well cool! best pork scratchings in the UK. Outside building hosts bands - if you dislike Blues then steer clear. Some dodgy bands like The Answer used to play there, they now appear as Journey South. Enough said?
The Ship - tucked away at the end of Westgate (or whatever they call it). I drank my first Guinness and black in there. Excellent for old codgers and bingo.
The Fox - another place to be totally re-done since "my era" looks jolly nice now. One of the better pubs in the town.
The Buck - my mate used to call it "the Buck spelt with an F". They used to have a disco in the back room which for some unknown reason attracted women over 30. Cool pub!
- go to the seven stars its bin well dug out n really turned itself around a brill weekend can be had 4 all!
- Duggie is no longer resident pint-puller at The Tap & Spile. He has hung up his apron and moved on to The Globe, where he is doing what he does best, i.e. serving a bloody fine pint of beer to an appreciative audience.
- the huntsman great place to do your homework and buy some of them special sweets that work so good they make you think the place is smart and clean and the pratt who runs it looks thin (if you are a sensible sort of person avoid this pub but if you are a fresh faced pill head you will love it)
- If you're young and want to get served, donkey John in the black swan is almost blind. I went there when I was 14 - I was wearing a shirt, but it was obvious he couldn't care less. Thats what the back room is for, although he'll knack you if you're on the toot back there like
- loadz a pubs how can u choose
- It depends, i KNOW in the buck i got asked for ID by a girl who was the year BELOW ME!!! so she wasnt spose to be F'in serving and had the cheek to ask me for id (when i was 18). You'll get this all over Gbro unless you go into a pub with people that look older. Sometimes i think the Courtyard has no age limit :S
- Every other building around the market cross is a pub...seriously! Go in the Buck on a Friday (but don't stay after about half past 8, you have been warned)
The Courtyard is excellent - 'pound a pint' during the day and £1.60 for lager on a night. Probably all round the best pub in Guisborough, highly recommended.
- the quoit club has class entertainment on a sunday night no one is stuck up and the drink is cheap john paul is a class commitee man
- I have a good night out in the back room of the buck on a friday night i cant deny the fact that there is a load of drunken slappers and tosspots that are obsessed with showing the entire population of guisborough their arse cheeks but most pubs are o.k. and the 7 stars is looking good now it has been done out.and as for the quoit club it rocks especially on a sunday night. GET DOWN WITH THE BINGO! SHARON JACKSON
- the quoit club has a good band on every sunday and has friendly yet fun commitie men like john paul and andy
- Even though i like my dance music, the tap is about the only place you can go without being offered smack/a fight with 'Bazza'
- The Seven Stars, The Huntsman, The Courtyard, The Black Swan, The Quoit Club, The Tap and Spile, The Ship, The Abbey Inn, The Highland Laddie, The Buck, The Voyager, The Cross Keys, The Fox and Hounds and The Fox and Hounds at Slapwath and The Kings Head
- Courtyard is ok sometimes, great at others, thou some of the people who come in can be very scary (and mistake you for 32 year old women wen ure only18!!!).
The tap has the best pool table, but it's hard to get on it on a Tuesday what with the quiz and all. A certain lady of my aquaintance spends her life in the courtyard, and seems to enjoy it, can't see the attraction myself.Better to go to the tap i fear
- I just want to say that i've had some of the best nights in my life at the tap, it really is not under-rated, and I love it!
Pints of bizzare shite e.g. old lamp, big fat sheep and old brown hill, or whatever are comedy enough without the local talent.... (the laurence jackson boys are the best.)
check out every night, and don't be a stranger.
However, Bar 44 does do a school disco....
failing that, the voyager is OK for a bottle of wine to share with a friend, with a confusing old pub/new pub ethos a-happening.
- Duggi, now works in the fiddles. go in on a friday night and see old guisborough men playing dominoes to the sound of chart music and techno. cheap drinks too
- Duggie makes a triumphant return to pubbing. Now featuring behind the bar at the Fiddles - but without a beard. Surely it's mandatory to have a beard in that place
- The first rule of quoit club is: you do not talk about quoit club
The second rule of quoit club is: you do not talk about quoit club
The third rule of quoit club is: no shirts, no shoes...
The final rule of quoit club is: if this is your first time, you have to play quoits
- Alcohol was invented by a Guisborian. It's addictive qualities ensure that Northern Hades Outposts such as Guisborough will be kept readily stocked with lost souls. When the pubs die, we can flee to heavenly places such as Belgium. Oh, Belgium, how I dream of being able to swim in your lakes of Hoegaarden.
- The Tap and Spiel is the perfect student hang out
- The old voyager when Kevin was there. It used to be a haven for the philmores possy every Saturday, then it turn into a regular for the ex-philmores possy as we had all wasted our lives.
- Courtyard - full of 'fresh faced ' patrons, but prices are ok, and if u can get certain regulars away from the bar u might have a chance of getting a drink...!
Good pool table with cheap games, oh and please don't challenge vic to a game as u will get whooped and lose lots of money! Rarely any fights there, and good music upstairs. Scary old men saying things like ' do u come here often ' and 'all the lasses in here are gorgeous' frequent the pubs on sundays! apart from that it is the best pub in G'bro if u wanna get very very drunk.
- Visit the Highland Laddie on a Friday night for an excellent kareoke.The Black Swan has bloody good bear and if you like perno the blackcurrant is the best!(Jan swears by it).Tren keeps a very orderly house being an ex rugby player. Pat will do you an excellent buffett if your celebrating.
- The fox is class on a saturday, with the best karaoke in town, check out the rendition of queens bohemian rhapsody at the end of every saturday, pure class.
- The Courtyard is the pub in guisborough. It has a happy hour from 11am till 7pm with beer @ £1 pint and Carling & Red Stripe @ £1.30 pint. The red stripe blows your head off by the way. The room upstairs is bouncing every Friday and its not full of kids and morons. They have bottles from £1 and all the latest drinks. The Pub music system is brill, they have a Wurlitzer jukebox, Live music on a Thursday is always great and theres rumour of another £1000 karaoke. Dont talk to Dougie about it though, he hates the place...
- Huntsman - don't go there unless you want stabbing with a used needle then beaten up outside.
All the ones in town are much of a muchness really. Usually a good laugh but a lot of fighting
- please remove the information about the fox as the lads who have being may be allowed into the pub again if this information has being removed. thankyou for your cooperation. John Barras ltd invite you to a free meal and a drink if you remove the damaging infomation as requested.
- Best pub probably the Courtyard, for young people anyway. The Buck & The Stars are okay apart from the ocasional scuffle.
But whatever you do DONT GO IN THE FOX! It is ran by a bunch of loosers and the people who drink there are mostly loosers too. You will feel like hanging yourself if you stay too long.
The other deffiante no-go's are THE HUNTSMAN & THE TAP & SPILE. The Huntsman is ran by a rather over weight, B.O. Monster. His sweat patches start at the top of his arms and finish in the puddles of sweat in his shoes. The Tap & Spile is a no go because of Duggie and the women how ownes it. Pair of pricks!
You will only fit in to these pubs if you are an interbreading no-mark like the rest of the regulars.
- BAKERS IS NOT A CLUB, IT IS A DINGY HOLE.
- The Fox is a pile of shite, the landlady is a fat geordie cow and the bar staff are all miserable wankers. The Tap & Spile is full of student freaks & Duggie is a fat bald prick. The Huntsman is ran by a fat b@$t@rd and is full interbreading no-marks. Don't come to Guisborough, it's a local town for local people! Mods rule!
- The Fox was a top pub, untill a certian FAT Geordie took over. Now it's shite, unless your a miserable wanker. The Tap & Spile is full of Student soap dodgers, the bloke behind the bar, Duggie is a fat look-a-like of mini-me. He's a prick aswell. The Huntsman is a pub full of inter-breading no marks and is ran by a fat looser.
I'm barred from all the above pubs, but take it from me kid i'd rather drink a pint of my own piss than drink in any of them pubs.
- The Quoit Club: The problem with the genepool is that there is no lifeguard, this is now causing serious problems at the Quoit Club
The Globe: The new landlady is leaving, she won't be missed - she sturned one of the coolest pubs in Guisborough into a dive
- DO NOT GO IN TO THE FOX IT IS A BAG OF SHITE. I AND MY MATES HAVE BEING BARRED BY THE LANDY LADY AS WE ARE NOT MUPPETS. WE WERE BARRED ON THE 17TH OF NOVEMBER 2000 INDEFINTALY.THE PUB IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS WAS RIGHTLY OURS BEFORE IT WAS REFURBISHED. IT IS NOW RUN BY A GEORDIE AND THE PUNTERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO SWEAR, SMASH IT UP OR SMOKE. SHIT HOLE.
- The Tap and Spile probably has the nicest crowd. They also have live music most Wednesdays. The King's Head is good for a laugh on Thursdays and Sundays when the kareoke is on, otherwise it's just full of old men playing dominoes.
- If Iain managed to have a pint in all the pubs in Guis-ville, then anyone can! Save Club Anchor til last however, as this sells the strong stuff. (Almost as powerful as rocket fuel)
- CLUB ANCHOR (see clubs)
- Don't let Iain persuade you to go to the cricket club for a lock in!
- Don't believe what they say about the GLOBE. The landlady is great and spent three hours one night trying to explain the rules of dominoes to a very drunk me.
All the nice thigs about the TAP and Duggie were written by Duggie himself. Take with a pinch of salt. TAP is still the best pub mind. Best for skaters, right?
- The Huntsman at Hunters Hill, there are people lining up to use the fruit machines, but only on the day there Giro comes through
- Tap Bakers Tap
- GO TO THE TAP & SPILE ON A TUESDAY NIGHT. DOUGIE THE BARMAN DOES A BRILLIANT QUIZ, THE PRIZES ARE O.K. BUT WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR 30p. WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T GO TO THE ON AT THE V*Y£$^R ON THE AVENUE COS THE QUIZ MASTER IS PANTS WITH A CAPITAL P
- Tap and Spile: by far the best pub in Guisborough, generaly devoid of the usual thick lowlifes that hang around Guisborough.
Globe: Used to be a really sound pub renound for lockins and live music and lockins and lockins with live music. However it is now under new mismanagement. Refrain from ordering water cause they're on a meter. Even though it is illegal to charge for water this does not stop the landlady from barring people who ask for it.
The Huntsman: Situated in a housing estate it suffers from the twin problems of kids outside Bells asking for cider and tw*ts inside asking for a fight. The kind of pub with St George's crosses painted on the ceiling.
Ship: The kind of pub where people talk about how safer life was under the Krays even though they are 300 miles from London.
Fox: Generally inhabited by people who loeft school wih one GCSE and are proud of their F in CDT. Trapped due to their low IQs they spend their weekends looking for fights in crap fake designer gear!
- Tap and Spile on Westgate attracts a good mix from student to old fella and has a right good quiz on the tuesday night, although 3rd prize of a packet of crisps ain't exactly worth the entrance fee! The Tap's usually at it's best when all the students are back from uni.
Bakers isn't as bad as everyone says and it does sell cheapo bottles most of the time and there's tjose new fangled slushy-frozen alcodrinks too
- The newly rebuilt Voyager is much nicer than before, and is quite family orientated. But it costs nearly £2 a pint, which really hits the pockets hard if you're a student.
- Pubs in Guisborough tend to fall into 3 distinct categories.
1) Estate pubs. Not much character here. Food, board, beer, men of the estates, yawn, boring...
2) Weeken Pubs. Round the Market cross, Stars, Fox, Buck. All these become full of crowded idiots looking for fights
suffering from Too much testosterone. Nice places in the day, but at night, intelligent conversation overloads the
patrons allready tiny brains.
3) oldmens pubs. Real ale. Real people. Real Bar Staff (go and talk to Andy in the Globe)
- The quoit club is where everyone who is no-one in Guisborough frequents. The combination of cheep beer and limited inteligence allows the clientele to express their views succinctly. Most of which involves comments such as 'ugg' and 'eh!' and usually ends up in mindless violence.
- There's only one for me The Black Swan, the beer might not be that good but the folks are cool, many a good night in there!
All the rest of them have their good points and bad, but do the circuit and try them all out.
- The Globe still sells a good pint of real Camerons.
The Tap and Spile has a range of real ales and also some filling food.
The Anchor on Belmangate is still fairly quaint but a bit hot and smokey.
Guisborough Rugby Club has good beer and caters for the real ale types or the dead beer lovers (fizzy or smooth).
A revitalised and refurbished pub has just reopened on The Avenue.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: ste, DOUGIE BRADBURY, kelly, laura, Mike Willis, mark cottler dj demon, Maria Wilcock, diesel, Nic Calvert, Chris Wade, Gordon (Kip), Mike Dewings, Kriss_A19_&_Lab_5, clare, Marco Del Apli, doil99, Rich, brucy, John King, Marilyn Dent Wright, keely rodwell, Marco Delapli, alex, Matthew Buxton, Rick Sullivan, Adam Fall, somebody, andygrim, Jamie Hunter, ALAN JACKSON, spragger, Nuker, steve, Nick, SIMON BARNES, Smuggler, david strangeways, Paul, wildercard, sajc, clarice, Julie Moulder, David, Sarah Nicholson, Tony Plummer, David Perry, Robb, CRO, neal smith, rebecca, Mike Lambert, tori, a, helen, andrea kitching, gasgas, kerri wynn, Xavier Rimmer, rob mckenzie, Uncle Nick, loz, victoria nicholls, greg, Joanne Evans, ?, ????, generic, Jill, Ian, Matthew Earnshaw, dani, tony, Disco_Rave_Dave, kelly jackson, jon pollard, duz it matta, KRB, Sarah, SHARON, DeeJayVoo, lumdedum, Robin sunley, Vicki Smith, m.t., John, gordon, Ivan, lel, Graeme, Jinka-jinka
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Guisborough
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Guisborough Knowhere Board