Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Hackney, Greater London*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Hackney.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- me and my family and my husbands family
- too many journalists
- Celebrity gardener & renowned ginger erect-nippled lovely, Charlie Dimmock is currently living in the area with a number of computer buffs and musicians - and under the guise of Matt Brown I.T.
- Harold Pinter grew up in Hackney and most of his plays are set around there.
- Mchael Caine was a Hackney Downs School boy.
- The 70s / 80s dark cult of Throbbing Gristle lived on Beck Road and had their 'Death Factory' studio in Hackney, true innovators.
- Throbbing Gristle, the innovative electronics group and pioneers of the first home-made Sampler machines lived, recorded and generally deviated in Hackney between 1975 and 1981, the office of their record label Industrial Records was in Martello Street.
A hugely entertaining character who sings in The Globe in Morning Lane on Sunday. He's a real Hackney character of the old school.
- Cult actor Tony Allen (of Hellraiser + Crystal Clear + The Bill). Scary guy!
- Ray Clarke - the greatest striker ever to play for Mansfield Town FC, did alright for Ajax as well. C'mon you STAAAAGS!!
- Ray Winstone - cockerny, gangster-type actor born here
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: simon hughes, Wooj, Dan Kelly, christine olney, lilz, Anita, Martin Togher, Kirsty Hopkins, Richard Harris, rus, D*, Laura Beduz, Matt Yarnton, ray, Ceri Dingle, Charlene Wiloughby, generic, sheila, Steve Brown, George Britton, Sean Groth, Caron Copek, Bodster, diane jackson, Janice Rafael, Adam Holdsworth, Tim Jones, darren, Jack Hunt, Richard, Jason, s. van toen, oliphaunt, Joe Swane, PM, juliancole, John Allan
Last updated: 2008-02-24
More stuff about Hackney
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Hackney Knowhere Board