The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Hampstead, Greater London*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Hampstead.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- There is a house on Parliament Hill numbered "8 1/2"
- The old fashioned locksmith shop on South End Road directly opposite Hampstead Heath station. Having drunkenly lost my keys on two separate occasions these boys are always on hand to get me in day or night.
They are also the only shop in Hampstead where you can by basic D.I.Y. supplies.
- Yeah good to see your still going strong.
- if your on the heath ask around for the "beanstalk" close to the football ptich
if you can climb it itīs definetely worth it
apparantely bob marley once climbed it and carved his name somewhere among the myriad of other carvings
good place for a spliff, donīt take mushies up there if you want to be able to get down again!!!!!
- I stayed in the Hampstead Youth Hostel and had a "ghostly" experience. It was in 1983 and an apparition of a young, curly headed blond fellow appeared. I'd be interested to know the history of that place.
- More pictures of the place please!!!
- Second-hand book store just off the High Street. A little pricey, but they have EVERYTHING. And it's one of those Tardis-esque little bookshops, you know the ones - they only look the size of a fairly small beercan on the outside and when you go in you realise that there's 2,000,000 miles of bookshelves and you're likely to find Lord Lucan around somewhere...
- Good shop selling rather nice coffee (next to crazy art store).
- Oxfam, for 3 and a half pairs of green brothel creepers. Also dodgy South American health food.
- Rosslyn Delicatessen - think of a number, multiply it by 25, and that is what you'll have to pay for lunch. Still, they sell Reese's Pieces.
- Okay, so he's not a shop, but Michael the Big Issue seller outside WHSmith on Finchley Road must be mentioned, as he is wonderful. We love you, Michael.
- ENTERTAINMENT There are endless theatres, comedy clubs, museums, art galleries and bits of grass to keep you occupied.
- Pentameters Theatre above the Three Horseshoes - scary low-budget theatre put on by people who wear berets, don't work and call each other darling.
- Freud Museum, Maresfield Gardens - see the house where the great man himself once lived. Have great fun planting banana skins everywhere (childhood sexual trauma, that's what it is...).
- Hampstead Heath. This huge area of woodland and park has provided inspiration for many of our greatest poets, novelists, musicians and painters. It is also the biggest and best gay pick-up point in North London after 10pm.
- Kenwood House - home to the Iveagh Bequest, featuring works by Turner, Constable and Vermeer. Nice concerts with fireworks and stuff by the lake in summer. Grass (the lawn-able type). Ducks. You know, park-y things.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Sheila, helen, Aiysha, d, Denis Kerr, vikas, mark, sharon baxter, Wynn Wheldon, claire, jess, P.niss, lorraine prince, David Lovatt, Andrew Silke, Fee Mercury Moon, Joe, generic, james kerton, paul denyer, Matthew Robin, Alex, Sarah Hird, Stuart Matthews, Paul Ramiz, Dave, froth horse, Fergus Murray, paul spencer, Ian Edgar, Rhiannon-boy george lover !!, Betty Gray, Russell Hobbs, Ann Schexnyder, NIC AARONS, Fran Gavin, mark chapman, Hugh Morrison, andy smith, Cindy, David Johnston, David Harvey, Terry Moxley, cils, Jez
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Hampstead
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Hampstead Knowhere Board