The Best Things in Harringay, Greater London*
If you're around, be sure to check these things out
You can tell us more about Harringay.
The Best Things
- truly astonishing range of eastern european, cypriot and turkish foodstuffs; ditto a certain chewable narcotic herb; easy access to turkish pop cds (if that's your thing)
- Erm, Yeh, The view from Ally Pally
- The buzzy atmosphere and the comfortable diversity of communities, the streets are full of local people 20 hours a day, shopping, chatting, there is virtually no street crime as anyone wanting to mug and run would have to negotiate the endless cucumber and aubergine stalls first. The best kept secret must be the very strong sense of community on the roads branching off from Green Lanes. Street parties and working parties galore.
- 24 hour booze and Sainsburys.
- a wealth of 24 hour shopping on your doorstep. Friendly and supportive local environment .. very family oriented.
- The Kebab shops. The sense of community. Despite the gang warfare etc, Green Lanes is a great place to go, even at night. It's ALWAYS busy. It's pretty close to Central London. But there should be a tube station on Green Lanes. It's just begging for one.
- Walking along Green Lanes on a hot summer's evening is like being in another country. The beautifully laid out greengrocers shops, stacked with fruits and vegetables from around the world. The rows of Turkish restaurants with steaming dishes of hot food cooking by the windows.
- Cheap, fairly good quality housing. Good transport links. Relatively safe in comparison with Finsbury Park and Wood Green. Proper Kebabs, cheap mini-markets. Big Sainbury's and Homebase nearby.
- Wonderful turkish restaurants. About a dozen on Green Lanes, each as good or as bad as the next. The competition ensures quality though.
- 24 hour fast food, cheap pubs, convenient travel and plenty of parks.
- Every other shop on Green Lanes is filled with bargain-priced food and open all hours, every day. You can live here on very little.
No-one knows how to spell it: Harringay is a small area around Green Lanes between Finsbury Park and Turnpike Lane and it's especially hard to pin down by being on the edge of three post-code areas (N4, N8, N15), it is in the London Borough of Haringey so who knows what people mean by Harringey or Haringay or Harringy.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Bill Newland, S.Walters, froth horse, Ali Franks, Pete Tims, ray berry, Nico Hogg, Richard Head, junior, louis younger, Paul Louis, up north, Mr Bongo, Alan Bradshaw, Amy, caram, generic, Smiffy, chris, Bbarr, David smith, Paul lazarra
Last updated: 2010-07-01
More stuff about Harringay
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Harringay Knowhere Board