The Worst Things in Harrogate, North Yorkshire*
The entirely missable and worth mentioning because of it
You can tell us more about Harrogate.
The Worst Things
- Sounds like the list above is written by people who have deep issues and a severe lack of tolerance. How about channeling that energy and getting together to improve life for the generalised category of "young people"?
- The boy racers hurtling around with sound systems blasting out.Yeah theyre everywhere but in Harrogate id be suprised if even half had actually passed their driving tests.Crossing the road is a seriously risky activity
- Harrogate has no soul. It's a boring place full of extremely expensive shops and chain bars and cafes. Yes the place looks nice and its safe, but the place is full of fake ten bob millionaires and southerners who are stuck up their own arse. The whitest, most Tory place in Yorkshire. Even the locals have been priced out. I'd rather live in Bradford, a place with soul, diversity and identity.
- The miserable man who works at scoffs at the back of WH Smith's. He has all the charisma of a wet fish. If he smiled his face would crack. He would be more suited to working in a morgue. Very rude and unhelpful. My kids are frightened of him!Go to Asda for your sweets,they're cheaper!
- House prices...the town centre , once beautiful and full of character is now an ugly mess...
- emos scalls
- House prices... oof mortgages hurt.
- the lack of anything to do
- The coked up harrogate celebrities who think this tiny NY town is the centre of the universe - get a fucking grip. Also in this category but deserving of a mention - the clone girls. individuality? anyone? no?
- The idiot that runs AR Newsagents opposite Argos. Answer your mobile in the shop and they guy will surely rev up and go mental. I heard someone who quickly flicked through a magazine was accused of theft before they could take it to the counter??! Go on...dare you to be on the phone when you hand him your lottery ticket!
- The under 15 chavs that hang around town asking you to buy them a bottle of cider from the shop
- the squadies! theya ll cum from pennypot nd get in ur way!
- The Taxi drivers, Robbing twats!!!
- I look left: chavs
I look right: chavs
I look all around: chavs
AAAH they're everywhere! there should be a national revolt to get rid of em!! ha ha
Oh and the squaddies who come down from menwith hill. THey come down in groups of about 10. Flirt with the 14 yr old population of chavs and generally start fights with people for havin long hair! top blokes really....shame they're going to war at some point! ha ha
- Eggs on legs are absolutely everywhere
- Unless you earn a huge amount of money or are a millionaire there is absolutely no way in the world you can contemplate buying a house in Harrogate. Even Starbeck is now extortionately priced. Rent is also high as many of the properties are owned by landlords living in Leeds/Bradford and because Harrogate has this image of being posh they charge the earth.
There's not enough to do for the young people in the town, hence all the problems with kids/teenagers.
- its posh!!!
- there is nothing, except maybe a totally under 18s niteclub
- all the private schools like ashville and harrogate ladies college.
- it is a hard thing to stamp out anywhere once it has started, and every club and pub will say that it does not happen behind their doors, but there are a lot of drugs in harrogate. a lot more widely used, with a much more casual attitude than most people realise. as a young single mum it concerns me, and while i love harrogate, i have never done drugs in my life, though many of my friends do( they speak casually about charlie, poppers, joints, having a 'class A weekend') and i do not want my child to grow up here.
- The Saturday night inhabitants, the whole place is crammed full of kevs and tracys. Its bloody horrid, theres a chain pub every 5 yards and all the scum of the earth appear to be drawn towards them like moths to a flame.
To say that I had possibley the worst night of my life around harrogate would be a vast underestimation of the sheer nastiness I experienced.
The town on an evening has a larey oppressive atmosphere that would'nt be out of place in Beruit. Theres a horrid mixture of council estate pikeys and pissed up toffs staggering round the place hurling abuse at anyone who dares to cross their path.
The town seems to be bereft of places with any sense character or soul, nearly every pub is a faceless chain pub devoid of anykind of happy atmosphere. The music played in these places is the kind that normally eminates at high volume from vauxhall novas; if you like music played and sung with a bit of passion on proper instruments you'd be better off staying away.
As for after hours drinking you can expect to pay 6 or 7 quid to get into Po-na-nas (a dark dingy little pig sty of a place next to Jimmys) or Jimmys (named after a hospital (probably)) where you will be subjected to more screaming at by pissed up kids and have to listen to more thumping crap type music.
Harrogate on a saturday night does'nt have much in the way of ladies (I saw lots of women, but few ladies) and an unnaturally large male population, it seems to be one of those towns where the 'lads' go to pull a lady and wind up grabbing hold of any old slag who happens to be within lurching distance.
I have also never seen so many police in one place at any one time, there seemed to be one police car/van per block of the centre which jusr went round every minute or so.
If you want to blend in with the local nightlife I would reccomend the following;
Gents -lots of Adidas, Ben Sherman and Top Man Nylon clothing (anything cheap and scratchy looking), perhaps an earing or maybe even a big ugly £19.99 2 carat gold plated steel ring. Your Hair should have as much gel/styling wax as it can hold without it running down your face in greasy rivulets.
Ladies -again lots of adidas, anything that you feel cold or exposed in whilst wearing should get you a pikey by the end of the night, plenty of slap, and enough gold round your neck to make Mr T jealous.
Both sexes should also have lots of visible tatoos, ladies -just above the ass crack and inbetween the shoulders, -gents barbed wire/celtic band round the top of the arm just done low enough so it shows under your T shirt.
Harrogate. Lovely in the day (probably lovely every night apart from when I went), hideous on a saturday night.
- F**king swaddies and scallies that think its cool to hang around outside maccy d's at night, starting fights and seeing how many swaddy matresses they can pull. GRIBOS THE LOT OF THEM.
- all those little 15 yr old scallies outside mcdonalds and woolies.
and the fact that it's boring.
- People having lots of money so everything being stupidly expensive. Huse prices. Southern wankers coming for conferences and talking down to you because you're 'unlucky' enough to live in Yorkhsire. Yeah, right. I choose to live here!!!
- The stupid assumption that everyone from Harrogate are posh snobs, fair enough there may be a few upmarket areas and there aren't whores on every corner but is that really a bad thing?? I for one would much rather live somewhere like this rather than some inner city slum and if that makes snob the so be it!
- Lack of decent shops
Ridiculous amounts of old giffers
- the lack of things to do!
- Harrogate thinks it's Surrey. Posey bars filled with young go getters litter the streets. You can't move for fear of damaging some git's new Ferrari or equally expensive shoes. And because nobody really knows what's going on, everyone spend their time looking down their noses at everyone else, just in case. Didn't like it. Won't be going back.
- Unrelenting tedium. Difference is not encouraged or tolerated. The age profile resembles a retirement village and escape for an evening is impossible as the last trains back from civilisation (or Leeds) arrive back at 11p.m. It's a grim, unending, conformist pit.
- Everyone over 25 being SO far up their own arses it's untrue
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Kevin, Claire Lovatt, Lucy Russell-Hobbs, laura, Myles, simon, marskeunited, donna, :), Dan, Stu, Andy Chambers, Rich, Trouble, oranjeboom, Karl, lizzie jack, Roger Velcro, Jake, PARKER BMX RULES, Ian Smith , kate, Tim Sketchley, John Connors, Rudy lover, Jobie, ashley reaks, Gordy, ceri, Steph, John Whitehead, Laura Jeffrey, DeeDee, boycer, matt daligan, Roger W. Poultney, jamie, will, Richard Butler, Lisa Hale, info, L.Fox, James Aitken, Abigail, Brad, Essjay C, greeny, Bob, Jeff Whiley, sarah, Hannah Thrall, Annie Metcalfe, Tony, Lee Stacey, Jane, Mirrorman, Trev, Lucy Charlton, Arron Halton, geoffbeckfan03, k, bb, miles, James Roberts, t, luke, loz, Tracie, M Upton, Mike, summer, ryan callaghan, generic, Mousetower, Danny, nik, Ian, Jo, owen worsnop, h griffiths, Allan Smyth, David Lancaster, manda, Wayne, rob, bEx, Vivien.G., Cassie, thomas p, Michelle Hung, Parker Da man, gary, richard turner, Kay, allan, Charlie Brown, Cap, Jon, Rob Donnelly, Liz Smith, d pinchen, J!oseph, kate sandler, jnoi, marianne, LOLipop, Snapey, Matt A, callum, amy, Crista
Last updated: 2013-02-03
More stuff about Harrogate
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Harrogate Knowhere Board