Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Hendon, Greater London*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Hendon.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- David Bedford, Olympian, went to Whitefields School.
- CORRECTION: Herbert Chapman (instead of Bertie Mee)
- Bertie Mee, legendary manager of Arsenal FC, is buried in St Mary's Church yard
- David Garrick, the eighteenth century actor, lived at the Hendon Hall for many years, as did Mr Hancock, who founded the famous and very posh silver dealer Hancock's & Co. which used to be on Bond Street but is now in the Burlington Arcade.
- Tom Goldberg goes to Hendon school
- Tony Dangerfield is an old rocker and still drinks in local pubs, giving tips to budding musicians!!
- Huw Lloyd langton of Hawkwind until last year used to live in Victoria Rd. And Tony Dangerfield ,S creaming lord sutch,s bassist along with many other bands still drinks in the Chequers Pub...
- Boy that played Harry Potter's nasty cousin goes to Hendon School. - His real name is 'Harry Melling' and left the school in early 2003, (before second Harry Potter film release) and move to somewhere closer to his place of work! He was a grate guy, fun to be around, and i got his number which is kept in privacy! - By Hasit Hirani.
- Ann Aston from the Golden Shot (Bob Monkhouse) used to live at the top of Brampton Grove..!! And Neil Fox (D.J.) lived in one of the cottages next to what used to be Brampton Stores on the Burroughs... thank you for listening.. and thank you for putting me on your site!!! i live in Hungary now.. but thanks for saying i,m a top bloke!!! Mark Mackay...(rock Boffin!!!)
- richard bel famous restauranter and grad of london school of economics,currently co-owner of the fabulous historic hotel fort garry (including ghost)winnipeg, manitoba, canada. lived at 69 station road flat on ground floor from feb to may of 1969. he worked at johnsons of hendon by day and at checkers pub by night.
the beegees(gibbs boys) lived in a flat at 69 station road in 1968.
- Jo Guest used to live in the area,Barbara Windsor lived near the Hendon Hall Hotel in the block of flats facing the A4, Simone Simmons who was the tarot card reader to Princess Diana and other Celebs
- Emma Kennedy. Radio 4 comedy gal, also known for her voice-overs 'Home from Home' etc and she's been in an episode of Jonathan Creek and a couple of 'People Like Us' shows.And she was in that cringeworthy Sainsbury ad. with John Cleese, that everybody hated.
- Mad Mark MacKay famous rock boffin. Top bloke.
- Sir Stamford Raffles, founder of Singapore, is buried in Hendon parish church.
Denis Compton (cricketer and footballer) lived locally and went to Bell Lane School.
- sam costa ( watford way).....dennis & leslie compton ( motigue road )
- Benjy the Binman - infamous mental Woody Allen-esque character who trawled through bins of the rich and famous, picking out letters etc to sell to the tabloids. Has (or had) hundreds of binbags in his garden and house.
- Boy that played Harry Potter's nasty cousin goes to Hendon School. Peter Mandleson did too.
- henry cooper great british boxer lives in hendon or did 8 years ago
- Julie Walters (the actress) Brother taught my two sisters at Bell Lane Primary
Some really old (probably dead) bloke that played for England at Cricket and
Football went to Bell Lane Primary School.
Lord Jacobavitz, an ex-cheif Rabbi lived in Shirehall Park until he dies in late '99
- Come on! It's in London, there's bound to be someone.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Jane, mark mackay, Evie, Anna, Hasit Hirani, Jeffrey Maynard, Peter Tims, Finn, J, mark mackay(mad), Lily Lars, Hugh Morrison, Juls, Ben Samuel, Paul Sharpe, generic, larstrex, brian ford, tracey hutton, Nicola
Last updated: 2012-05-21
More stuff about Hendon
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Hendon Knowhere Board