Corner eateries, quick bites and the local chippy
You can tell us more about Highgate.
- These are not directly in the village but in a walking distance from there - best pizza definitely is at Fabrizio restaurant (the same name as its Italian owner) on Highgate Hill oposite the Whittington Hospital. Haven't tried other dishes, but they look great too! Two shops away is a very reasonably priced Thai restaurant RRC Cafe - they have excellent curries, its owners from Thailand usually serve you as well. A bit further away on the Highgate West Hill, just on the corner of Hampstead Heath, is excellent Bistro Laz - have been there many times - this place never disappoints! Excellent Turkish bites and mains with a modern twist, fantastic mezze platter. Right next to this place is Al Parco Pizzeria - another excellent pizza and other Italian food. Otherwise, directly in the Highgate village nothing too impressive for me. I've heard the new Rose & Crown is good, but haven't tried it yet.
- You don't get cheap in Highgate, but for two weeks, Kiplings was where it's at for your curry craving. Consistency though, is what we really desire when any establishment puts itself through a facelift, and Kiplings is no exception. It was always a chore to have to drink vinegar instead of wine, wait an age for service, squirm at witches and balloons dangling from from the ceiling while reading 'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you' and end up with a boiled sweet and a rose just because you fancy a vindaloo on a Friday night.
But all that changed. Utterly. At an enorous re-decoration cost (I'd imagine) and 'because we like to listen to our customers', Kiplings threw the plastic plants in the bin and opted for a widdly pianist and a bucket of burgundy paint. The menu has changed, promoting regional but dull alternatives to the Anglo-Indian Madras option I imagine most people want anyway - but if you ask, they'll still oblige your needs for the basics. What troubles me though after only such a short time of promised change is The Return Of The Horrid Boiled Sweet - which tonight had me driving like a maniac into Muswell Hill for After-Eights. If they start handing out unwanted flowers I'll fast looking elsewhere for my curry too.
- La Porchetta - Muswell Hill pizza eat in or take-away. Very strange staff though!
- The Rose&Crown in Highgate has been transformed into an excellent restaurant with a relaxed lounge bar. The menu is fresh and exciting with a modern French twist. All food is made to order and uses only fresh ingredients. Lets drag Highgate into the 21st Century.
- Dim Tee is the newest and fullest place in Highgate,
- Titanic on Archway Road near Highgate tube has two cafes - a basic type place open during the day and a great eaterie for later in the day and night. Good service, good choice of food, not hassled...
- Go to Crouch End.
- San Carlo,Pizza Express,Cafe Rouge,Cafe Uno,The Bistro,The Idaho,Kiplings,Europa's deli is the place to get a decent sandwich.
- pizza express
- Great new Pizza Express,(High St.)Great new Papa Dels Pizza & Pasta, freshly made on the premises, Opp. Highgate Tube Station, (Archway Rd.)
Brand new restaurant 'Idaho' Converted an old boring pub into a well lit,funky design restaurant, shame about the prices though and the'I'm old and Want to look Young' people who hang around the bar.
San Carlos.......Used to be GREAT. Now it's overpriced and boring...Just because you get the occassional celeb in does not give you right to charge sooooo much.
Village Bistro, great food , great atmosphere, but as a small converted house, there should loose some tables and seat the dinner's properly.
Angel Pub..Great food.......Nice place to be...When its Busy. IT'S GETTING THERE
- Jackson's Lane Community Centre does v. cheap veggie nosh - wiht Jazz brunches on Sunday
- Archway Rd, Highgate offers just about every type of cuisine.
- All Bar One (same as the rest)
- The French Bistro is definetly worth a visit! Very nice food and reasonable prices. Nice athmosphere too. It's on Highgate High Street, next to Europa Foods.
Kiplings, one of the best Indian restaurants I have ever been too!
- The Raj Tearooms - a rickety upstairs room above a shop in Highgate High Street, run by an eccentric old Anglo-Indian geezer. Very small but very laid back - a great place to have lunch!
- Woods of Highgate on Archway Road is excellent. Impossible to park nearby but worth trying. Braeburns are the best. Kenwood (again) has a very good cafe - pricey but makes a change from run of the mill fare. Good croissants at Cafe Mozart, though they're a bit snooty in there. Cafe on the Heath at Parliament Hill Fields is also good.
- Pizza Express
- Cafe Uno
- Cafe Rouge
- Grotty Tea Rooms
- The Angel Pub - Great Food!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: andrew, Paul Mannix, aaron, Timmy Smedley, Kandy Moore, email@example.com, Wynn Wheldon, Ross Ashworth, Orlando, tommy hopper, Scott McKinstry, David Lovatt, john beale, Nathan Fisher, generic, emily, John Robinson, ben jay, Dave, jayne parsley, J-ded, Liliana Thornton, lou, plamenski, Paul McIlroy, mark moody, john potts, Andy Hardiman, ardee, David Goldman, Xan watkins, Holmes, Plamen G., nylla, mat phillips, peter armary, TashaE, ben, karen, G.ROSENTHAL, Eloise Williams, Jana, Ann, Alexandra Besga, Chris Summercorn, 12, len B, Angie B, Alex Marshall, Alicia, roland white, David Jackson
Last updated: 2011-02-22
More stuff about Highgate
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Highgate Knowhere Board