Cheap Food in Lancaster, Lancashire*
Corner eateries, quick bites and the local chippy
You can tell us more about Lancaster.
- The Whale Tail Cafe on Penny Street - fantastic veggie food - cheap - lovely place
- The Bamboo Gardens, by the library.
- Same as above...
- Diggles, Supanova (not too cheap, but fast and really nice... go there, it's a soup joint, but somehow it manages to be AMAZINGLY cool at the same time!
- The best has to be nice & spicy - Tikka Kebab in Pesh Naan. Cock a doodle dandy. I left Lancaster 10+ years ago and still travel back on regularity to taste the delights of Ali and the crew
- Casa Luca tapas bar/ restaurant on 66 Penny Street does an amazing selection of Tapas, including vegetarian dishes. The service is excellent and consistent whether you eat with 2 or 20 people.
For superb chinese food check out The Golden Dragon on 11 George St. You can sit in or take away. The sizzling dishes are especially tasty and fun to watch being served.
- ALI BABA IS THE REAL NAME SINCE 1984 FIRST TAKE AWAY IN LANCASTER
- IKYS HAD A BAD KEBAB THERE ONCE WHILST STAYING AT THE UNI, OTHER PLACES LIKE ALI BABAS OH YEAH DANNYS IN HALTON IS NICE CHEAP PIZZAS
- Lancaster is full of places to eat, from pub food to restaurants. There are Indian, Mexican, Italian restaurants and the usual take-out places.
- the golden something, dragon perhaps? anyways, really good food, and a surprise up satirs, those in the know, know what i'm on about!!! ;) ;) ;)
- The Golden Dragon (George STreet) does a good chinese meal.
The Royal has a Tapas Bar open 12-2 weekdays and till 9 in the night.
The Whale Tail on Penny Street has an excelent veggy selection.
- Personal favourites include Fortune Star and the Golden Dragon ! But plenty of choice hereabouts.
- whaletail vegi cafe n big bites (the food really aint great) the good news is on a order more than 6 pounds they deliver n they stay open really late so munch is cheap n comes to u always a good thing
- At lunchtime and from 5pm until 7pm the Spaghetti House at the back of Wilkos, with a Portugese chef, serves consistently good food at happy hour prices.
- Theres always an exception to a rule. KFC is the exception to the fast food rule. Don't go here if you only have a spare 30 minutes, it will take you that long to get served. It has by far the slowest staff I have EVER come across. Nice food if you can get it tho!
- Nice and Spicy do a mean curry. Pizza Republica do good pizzas. Marcos do good Italian food. And there are loads of other respectable joints to explore - The Sultan for example.
- The Latin Quarter does cheap pizza slices.
- Misfortunately, Mr Shah's has closed down. All the tables are still set inside, curiously.
- Nice-n-spicy Indian, probably the best take out, Lower Church St.
- Iky's is good.
- IKYS mmmmmmmmmmm. downtown pizza is quite cheap....its good....
- Korners do a brilliant £1.50 basket meal. Lot's of variety and it's good for the price.
Just don't buy a drink.
- PLEASE do not go to KFC. I worked there years ago. I know why.
- The Shabab up by t'castle is wonderful. You check your bill because it is so cheap. Quality and service are not compromised in the slightest: try it!
Honourable mention: Mr Shas on Penny Street.
- You must mention Simply French on the quayside
- Correction: Libra is changed ownership and name, and is no longer vegetarian.
Addition: The good news is that the Whale Tail, and it is better than Libra ever was!
- As above, Whale Tail is also a restaurant and licensed for alcohol.
- Sultan - best Indians in Lancaster (much better than any of the others listed) and cheap. Best thing to order is the vegtable thali - loads of food for nine quid each.
- Wibbly Wobbly Burger Bar
Lancaster University campus. Seriously worth travelling for...amazing.
- Blob shop...blobs are georgeous and just what you need to warm you up after a freezing 2-mile bus ride from campus in the rain.
- For that serious kebab, try "Ali Baba's" (original name, eh?) or the newly opened "Big Bite"... Pizzas from "Latin Quarter" or "Pizzetta Republicca"... Wicked cheap curry from "Shebab"... And a sexy, romantic dinner for two in the completely veal-free surroundings of "Marcos."
- For eats try Crows or the Conservative club! yes its actualy called the Consevative Club but has little or nothing to do with politics. Run by Lisa and David, the building dates way back to 1600s and boasts of visits by Bonnie Prince Charlie.
- By far the best burger take away is the fabulous Wibbly Wobbly Burger Bar.
- Good vegetarian restaurant called Libra.
- Fortune Star, Dalton Square. A very nice Chinese restaurant.
- I can't believe the person who wrote about the food forgot to mention the Wibbly Wobbly burger bar; words can't describe it, just go along and try it and see what I mean!
- Pizzaland does a student night but you have to book a table due to the large number of students...
- Most of the pubs do food: the Firkin all day. Mustn't forget KFC (not far from the hospital, appropriately).
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Colin Rhoney, Andrew Crofts, prue, Paddy Garrigan, Pat Mac Mellow, koz, Gleeman, Mise, Dan, Mike Jackson, Feanor, rad, Joe, burt, mark romanowski, Claire, alex, Tom Chaldecott, laurence, Bob Kennedy, styl, Kerry, Concerned, Stu Eagles, John Clare, Jeremy Craddock, Alex Hibbitt, SANDRA HEWITT, steve, Nick, Ali Asgar Chandia, rob redpath, Erica, Richard, Paul Haworth, ViX, Daniel Large, Jeremy French, Mark Pickavant, chris, anon, bill, ads, alan outram, Resident, leon, normanwestern, Paddy, Stacy, Martin, Hazel Egan, Mark Braithwaite, Simon Dalby, Davey Die, Karl Mitchell, Simon Greaves (Fairfield Website), Dale, t, john, si, Helen, me, Jonathan, greg, Jack, Simon Greaves, John Bartram, generic, joanna, phil milston, Matthew Davies, Bill Bones, Mark, betti, Karin Jones, Rob McGowan, S Greaves, Looby, jimmy, Thom, Anna, liz atkinson, Hannah, Jon, Tim, Paul C. Roberts, Iain Robinson, billy, Gemma Hudson, Jon Dann
Last updated: 2009-02-21
More stuff about Lancaster
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Lancaster Knowhere Board