The Best Things in New Cross, Greater London*
If you're around, be sure to check these things out
You can tell us more about New Cross.
The Best Things
- Like someone else said, I won't hear a word against New Cross, been home all my adult life, wouldn't want to live anywhere else, so unless you also plan to call it 'home' I suggest you move north of the river and keep your opinions to yourself! Deptford market is the best, check it out on any of the 3 market days.
- Deptford Market
- The diversity and tolerance that is all around in New Cross/Gate. The super cool bands and artists make the place for me.
- Somerville adventure playground running the last 33 years. Take risks have fun,
- the new cross scene. punk/metal/general teenage rock bands.
- The best thing is I grew up there and I wont have anyone say anything bad about it. Outsiders remember that people live here and are not going to be off in three or four years doing god knows what in some far off town so treat the residents with some respect as it is their home you are staying in.
- US TEENS. punk at the x and battle of the bands rock on! just remeber us when your famous boys!
- Montague Arms, Marquis, lots of weirdos, the students, late night drinking. The cheapest rent in zone 2, rooms start at £55 a week.
- the way i can walk down the street in my baggy jeans holding a skateboard, and feel safe in the knowledge that i wont be beaten up. also other skaters are friendly here!
- The buses on Sunday morning
- Millwall Football Club IS South East London and the natives of sunny New Cross take their Millwall very seriously.
- Cheap, friendly and relatively crime free.
- Buses, trains and Sainsbury's.
- It's cheap - pound a pint for some nights in the bars!
Deptford High St offers plenty of cheapies.
It's culturally diverse (Over 40 countries are represented!)
You get more for your money - a two bedroom houses for the same price as a flat in the East End!
- Music City! IMHO the best rehearsal studio in London. 5 rooms with good equipment, decent staff, excellent gear shop, lovely caff. A little oasis of chill.
- An amazingly diverse atmosphere. From interesting locals to international students all thrown in with a crazy mix
of Souf Londonahs and Afro-Caribbeans. People in New Cross are far from boring.
Goldmsiths College - you might hate students but it's union and its arts events are really worth checking out.
It's really cheap to live - 1 bedrooms from £60 p/w - try that in Finsbury Park.
When they aren't late/cancelled/blown up - great bus, tube and train connections.\
You are but a stones throw away from Greenwich, Blackheath and Lewisham.
More haircutters than you know what to do with.
- Sainsbury's at New Cross Gate
- New Cross (& New Cross Gate!) isn't as rough as people make out (particularly since Milwall football club moved). It's cheap to live in & the transport is about the best in south east london - train to London Bridge 6 minutes, tube to Whitechapel connects with the DLR & will connect with the Jubilee line when they finally open the damn thing. There are some nice areas round Pepys road.
- The cost of housing is cheap and appeals to the students at the elite Goldsmith's College
- The diversity of the people is amazing - it can seem intimidating but rarely really is. Deptford is the sort of place where people will talk to you. At least say hi! I lived in Hampstead for four years after first living in Deptford. I spoke to my neighbour about six times. The whole area's had millions spent on it recently and there's a lot more housing and its been cleaned up generally
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Susan, Santosh, wil, judy, Gordon, Damian Griffiths, brody, meemalee, Pete Stephenson, South Eats London, Al, Mr.Halsey, carl, Tony Dikan, Sally, generic, joe, Gabriella, Olli Siebelt, daisy, Oscar Lumley-Watson, Siobhan, frances, Donna Blohm, Myles Bradley, blindboy luis, Benjamin Whitaker, JS, john bundy, Nico, 99seconds, will, James Higgott, Stephen Doolan, Jay Ray, Richard Kershaw, Ray, Sean, joyce healey, lisa, Rachel Pe'er, Mark Thomas, john ryan
Last updated: 2009-03-16
More stuff about New Cross
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- New Cross Knowhere Board