The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in New Cross, Greater London*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about New Cross.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- The past few years have seen more trangendered people in my street than probably any other street in Britain!
- Buy frozen food from Iceland and pesto from Sainsburys. Best places to live are on the right side of new cross gate station.
- New Cross doesn't really exist. It is just a railway station in Deptford & loads of the same places are in the New Cross & the Deptford pages on Knowhere.
- New Cross has one gay venue - a sauna. If you want a gay venue you have to travel to Lewisham or Greenwich for the nearest, but it's probably easier to pop into town most days as many local pubs tend to be cliquey and run-down (or mistaken for straight venues during the day).
- New Cross is nowhere near as dangerous as some make it out to be. It's scruffy, dirty and defintely not
Hampstead, but you'll be hard pressed to meet cooler, more interesting people from all walks of life and
from all around the world.
- There was a Carter USM song called The Only Living Boy In New Cross. New Cross is a good place to star spot in the mornings, as the A2 runs from the suburbs through it (ie Bob Geldof, Terry Venables).
- Lots of Deptford was council-owed "hard to let" properties about 20 years ago. At the same time, there were lots of single people - ex-students, lesbians & gays who were at the bottom of housing lists but were offered these hard to let flats. The result was that the nature of the area changed and there still is a large lesbian and gay commmunity here, though the number of gay bars has dropped. Ex Goldsmith's college students from years back settled here and there are lots of freelance artists, performers, musicians, storytellers, you name it, getting pissed in pubs all over the place!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Susan, Santosh, wil, judy, Gordon, Damian Griffiths, brody, meemalee, Pete Stephenson, South Eats London, Al, Mr.Halsey, carl, Tony Dikan, Sally, generic, joe, Gabriella, Olli Siebelt, daisy, Oscar Lumley-Watson, Siobhan, frances, Donna Blohm, Myles Bradley, blindboy luis, Benjamin Whitaker, JS, john bundy, Nico, 99seconds, will, James Higgott, Stephen Doolan, Jay Ray, Richard Kershaw, Ray, Sean, joyce healey, lisa, Rachel Pe'er, Mark Thomas, john ryan
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about New Cross
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- New Cross Knowhere Board