Pubs in Northwich, Cheshire*
The place to go for a lazy afternoon, pub quiz or last call
You can tell us more about Northwich.
Music venues include the Memorial hall where the Beatles once played in their heyday and serval smaller sites where a varieties of small bands have played often to see fame including:
- Witton Chimes is a great rock/ biker pub that's usually got a good atmosphere. The Amber Lounge is quite classy and laid back & they down let cap wearing be-tracksuite goons in either. Chav-free drinking, there should be much more of it! Trendy places full of the self-adoring are JW's (although the chilled bar upstairs isn't so bad), Maddisons and the Anderton. Head out of town alittle into Davenham and the Bulls Head is a relaxing old boozer. Head of town properly through the sticks for a couple of miles to Gt. Budworth and The George and Dragon is a good old pub.
- The Bowling Green's great, especially if you're a student because it's right next to both the sixth form and the art colleges, and it's really cheap! It has a beer garden and lots of different indoor seating, the owners are a good mix of grumpy and friendly, there's a cheap pool table (it gets busy though) and it serves kopparberg! The atmosphere's incredibly relaxed and it's a really good place to spend an afternoon. Bring ID if you're at all young though.
- Bulls Head South of the town centre great beer with lots of choice good food in a freindly atmosphere well worth a visit
- just dont bother with wetherspoons on a weekend. slags and small scallies who think they are massive with 20 plus years of combat training after 2 beers.
- everyone seems to go to the Anderton nowdays not my scene i prefer the Roebuck only problem being they always run out of beer
- WELL WHERE DO I START;
MILL HOUSE; ALL US UNDERAGED RAVER WOULD SIT AND NECK BEER OUT OF SLUSHIE CUPS LOL SNEAKY DEVILS
GREEN DRAGON; SMALL BUT A NICE GAME OF POOL
SPOONS IS YOUR REGULAR SPOONS; NICE FOOD
- The woodpecker just off davenham rounabout is f***in ace!
- The Pubs in Northwich are to be Shunned in the same way as its general population should be.
- none of them are worth the time of day. the anderton and JWS is where the cream of northwich go, although they are not so much the "cream" as the dirty semen stain on your mums matress
- penny ok startin place , then the legendary Roebuck on witton street has great atmosphere and drinks promos, and staff r fit aswell !!
- wetherspoons, the place to go n get served for your 14th birthday!
- wine bar, jw's best, roebuck,green dragon, anderton 2nd bet, spoons same o same o. bee hive WORST.
- I have been to many a great pub in my time, my favourites have to be: spoons, witton chimes, white barn, travs (moulton), lion, abbey arms, travs (frodsham), kingfisher, sheaf, swingers, oaklands
Then you have the not so good places, like beehive, blue cap and thatched tavern,
- The Anderton - new pub at top of Witton Street opposite the Chimes. Actually very nice and average age is much much higher than the Penny Black (eye). Good food too
- beech tree been taken over by new owners n now serves good food
- Chimes can be cool, The Beehive for pipe & slippers cjill out & amusing conversation with Jerry, the landlord. The Penny Black (Wetherspoons) for ogling mini skirted, just-old-enough-to-be-in-there ladies. JW's for a late bar & more classy, probably-in-their-twenties, if slightly more demanding ladies! Check out the Wine Bar as well. It's full of rough arses (men and women) most of the time, but John the landlord is cool.
- lots of pubs all over town
- LWB if you want a good laugh at the weekend, or MXC if you want something a bit more up market, Both on the bullring.
- Wetherspoons - under age drinkin! wai!
- volunteer baby! fridays nights alright for fighting, o and kareoke
- Yuk too many crap ones to mention
- Winnington Lodge is my local, good nite if ur with the rite crowd. Penny n Wine Bar are worth visiting if ur down town, but thats bout it, I try n get out of Northwich when I can.
- All the pubs in Northwich are shit and full of gays
- Bowling green is the best if you're into music not killing your ears, and a good pub quiz-scallies need not apply.Has the hallowed chair of lord bridgey in it-lol!
- ah, the volunteer... the redneck pub of northwich. walking past it conjures images of straw on the floor and inbreds chasing their pet pig across the floor, underage slappers go there to look tough.
- witton chimes, the beehive, the roebuck, the volounteer, the green dragon, the railway, the crown, bowling green- just to name a few!
- The bowling green is the best place to avoid the scallies
- freemasons on castle
- Coachman (hartford)-very good atmos on fri/sat nights and the best mix of people in town
very popular with younger people and students
I advoid most of the town center pubs with the exeption of the K bar, which i understand has change hands
- Stick to the ones in the country or the Stanley Arms at Anderton for good meals
- The Chimes is good. Plenty of good music without your typical northwich wankers. Result!!!
- penny black is a chicken farm..bok, bok, bok..full of underage, loudmouthed squirms in new look micro skirts getting chased by pretty boys. Cock O witton seems to attract the mild but mentally retarded. Green dragon has been closed for years but people still go there...the chimes aint bad but those sat night rock bands...how many more weeks do we have to endure "alright now" and "born to be wild" by talentless, overweight, bearded 40 somethings. You remember those wild west films where a cowboy walks into the saloon, the music stops, theres this dead silence and everyone turns and stares...well - thats northwich pubs for ya!!
- quite a few
- If you want to be verbally and physically abused for nothing, go to the Volunteer, the Crown, the Wine bar, the roebuck, green dragon, the Cock o' Witton or any other pub in the town centre. If you want minor verbal abusive off "all talk, no trouser types" then the Kingfisher, on the Kingsmead estate is for you. If you want to be embarrassed by the silence when you walk in, then the new Millers pub on London Road by Davenham roundabout.
- The Crown full of teeny boppers, Beehive friendly but small, Wine bar packed, loads rubbish beer but full of snatch at the weekends, Penny Black busy cheap not bad beer (Wetherspoons) full of tarts though
- Town pubs, really old fashioned "who you looking at" but lots of periferal country pubs as good as anywhere.
- Just took over the volenteer outside vics ground what would the public like to see and happen there.
- The greenbank is by far the best pub in northwich,then the witton chimes then freemasons - everyone knows!!!
- Quincies off Davenham roundabout fancies itself as a "trendy" bar, but has the most expensive drinks in the Northwich area.
Cheapest has to be the Penny Black, who do attract a somewhat fresh faced crowd!
Worth a visit is the Oddfellows Arms pub in Davenham. Cheap, and not at all like most of Northwich.
- Been thrown out of most of the ones in town, not that great. Penny Blacks the best I guess. Theres one in somewhere reknowned for its underage drinkers.. cant remember what its caled tho.
- Penny Black gets full of young snatch... some of it very nice (until it speaks... best avoided, fill it's mouth with something) and eager to please.
- Beech Tree Barnton Nice food and very friendly as long as you've lived in the village for at least 10 years (even though the landlords haven't)
- The George and Dragon (Gt Budworth) is the nicest ever. The White Barn should be razed to the ground. The Swinging Fist (sorry, Witch) was/is, perhaps, the seediest pub in Gt Britain
- Good for fights and getting drunk.
- chapels in weaverham has the best food in mid-cheshire, however it is also a pub and the locals are a bit strange to say the least.
it is run by rob and the food is prepared simon. this place is well worth a try trust me !
- Coachman in Hartford is full of pussy and turn a blind eye to the younger crowd The Penny Black is the place to go for a fight
- Spinner & Bergamont - nicest Guiness and good food
- Loads but stay away from town unless you want matching Black eyes!!
- The Travellers rest thats for those who are 14+
- Try to avoid town centre. Bowling Green (near the Salt museum) has a nice atmosphere. Quincy's is good if your a student, but the White Barn (aka the Hungry Horse) should be boycotted.
- Stay out of the town - but don't drink all the Old Peculiar on draught in the Hollow Tree
- Vics Clubs (which has seen) Also sports Rudheath Social club which hasn't really seen anyone even half famous.
- Winnington Rec (which has seen)
- Thrush Puppies
- Vics Clubs (which has seen) Also sports Rudheath Social club which hasn't really seen anyone even half famous.
- Quincys - very racy (lots of young drinkers)
- Aby Arms (known locally as the Scap) was underage drinking venue until raided
- White Barn (now renamed Hungry Horse and coloured PINK!)
- I too have to visit "me mum" in Northwich, and whilst I find it equally depressing, there are a few escapes with some decent Ale.
- Take the Warrington Road out of town for three miles to Great Budworth, a delightful 13th century village with the George & Dragon pub with good Tetley's Bitter
- Nearby Comberbach boasts the "Drum & Monkey", which has bred some of the most discerning beer drinkers in Cheshire (Thanks to previous Landlord Keith).
- For beverage consumption at what appears to be any time of the day or night, and a fine selection of beers, visit The Elms in Pickmere. Particularly good on Sunday afternoons.
- The Salt Barge in Marston, a mile from Northwich on the Old Warrington Road, is an excellent pub. Good beer, good and inexpensive food and a friendly staff. The landlord has gone to a lot of trouble to display artifacts and pictures of local salt mining and canal history on the walls. For the more frivolous minded, there are darts, pool and a good juke box.
- How can you possibly miss out The Coachman? Best Greenall's around (except maybe The Drum) and a fine crowd of mixed age punters. Much better during University holidays!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: malcolm garrett, Beth, banjo, Ruth, Martin Hughes, Kynan y Gruffud, simon, gaz, shiv, Tim Moore, Chris, doddy, PJtheDJ, caz, Andy spence, Jake, mike P, just me, heather, Michael Baddeley, shaun hampton, CLAiM iN NORTHWiCH, Ched & Stu, Jeff, grogins, Tom, AJ, scott, tim potter, David Oldham, Liz Stockall, Adam Astles, katie, Wayne Griesau, Nick Carroll, Mark Fowles, Andrew Payne, essa, polly elcoat, Mark Bray, michael, Adlin, jim burns, James Gatrell, Lisa, andrea, Chris Lynch, jewboy, Steven Gracey, Heather Baker, Colin, Tim H, Bowley, Andrew Chadwick, Peter, Helen Davies, luke, Anonomous Barnton Rugby Loving Fan, Loki, Mark C., pam, Greg Norton, Alex, steve williams, tom howman, Baby1, phatmarc, tony, kat, ben, jade, Jeffers, Caroline, Laura Mercer, Adele Rowe, julian roberts, paul, Megan, Zoe, Peter Ainsworth, Tracy, Eddy Jenkins, Nigel, Carl, John Edmonds, natalie johnson, Karl, Garry Brookes, Spring, Paul Bell, khlaire, steve corkhill, Ian Walker, H.Lee, Deb Payne, Paul Morley, Kate Wilkins, Easy, tom martin, Shand, Meg, jimmy boy, Phil, Laura Edgeley, ian woolstencroft, yan, Anthony Fegan, Alex Johnson, S.Brock, Holly x, Natalie Steinke, Jay, Laura Ashbrook, Gavin Davenport, ian, may cuewet, shaky, biatch, vincent yarwood, generic, Nicola Brown, stu neild, baz manning, Darren Gleave, benno, elbow, Mark Campbell, redneck, Ian M, Michelle, klair, rod lee, Dan Forster, george
Last updated: 2008-02-04
More stuff about Northwich
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Northwich Knowhere Board