Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Peacehaven, East Sussex*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Peacehaven.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Telly Savalas Kojack remember him well his wife came from Peacehaven
If I remember correct she was a Miss England
how about Allison ladies snooker champion and now in America world pool champion
- Vera Lynn
- Felix Powell who wrote the first world war song, Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag. Gracie Feilds was a star of the silver screen for many years lived here.
- Gracie Fields, Alison Fisher, some Brighton & Hove Albion Football players.
- Gracie Fields' mother also lived in Telscombe Cliffs. Jane Griffiths - minor Hollywood actress in the fifties - was the daughter of a local dentist (Phyllis Avenue). Not celebrity residents, but they acted here: the dènouement of Richard Attenborough's film "Brighton Rock" was on Peacehaven's cliffs; Parts of an episode of "No Hiding Place" - 1960s TV crime series was filmed on "The Highway"; A sketch in Eric Idle's "Rutland Week-end Television" was filmed in Telscombe Cliffs (about "free-enterprise neighbourhood prisons" - an idea ahead of its time!); plus a couple of "Mr.Bean" sketches (on the Beach & Downland Av.); and two of the BBC2 "Human Remains" stories (house on corner of Seaview Av., and café near Cairo Av.)
- There were three famous people who have lived here in the past, Felix Powell, who wrote the first world war song 'pack up your troubles in your old kit bag' he also was involved in Peacehaven's Tatler Cinema & theatre, the Peacehaven Philharmonic and orchastral society.
Next Dame Flora Robson made her stage debue at the Rosemary Tearooms.
Finally Gracie Fields who had an orphanage in Peacehaven as well as her house in Telscombe Cliffs.
- Gracy Fields lived in a large house in Telscombe Cliffs Way, now a nursing home.
Russell Small (of Phats & Small fame) lived in Peacehaven - his parents are still there, for their sins.
- Erm, can't remember, but it was where Tiffany from Eastenders' ashes were scattered (although it was actually shot in Seaford).
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Scott, Samantha Thomsett, Barry Parks, martin, Barry Bloye, janette, Stephen Keogh, David Lacey, Dessy, Pat, Dan, Bambang, S Bernard, Michael Grade, Robert, generic, Bob, Sarah Baker, nial westwood
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Peacehaven
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Peacehaven Knowhere Board