Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Petts Wood, Greater London*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Petts Wood.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Just one point - Charles de Gaulle did not live in the "big house at the end of Birchwood Road" but in number 41. (A lot of people make this mistake.) Sir Geraint Evans, the singer, also lived in Birchwood Road (no 34).
- Jack Dee was born in PW in 1962
- general charles de gaule
- The guy who invented daylight savings.
- charles de gaulle lived in the big corner house at the very end of birchwood road. paul ince's family also lived down there for a while so you would often see him driving about.... David bowie lived near by when he was young but there is great debate about whether he lived in petts wood or nearer bromley.
- General de Gaulle. William Willett (inventor of British Summertime). Oh, and Dale Winton visited once. He loved its "curtain-twitching suburbia."
- Named after a Phineas Pett, who aparently built warships for Elizabeth the first, the Sovereign of the Seas was one of his boats. William Willet (the man who invented daylight saving) lived in Petts Wood, hence the Daylight Inn pub. Charles de Gaul lived here for a bit during the war - NOT in Orpington, as it says somewhere else in this guide.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Petty Woods, Fins, steady, Fiona Durrant, Lucy, Laura, alice, price2k, Rick, stan Steel, Ann, Rob, Mark Johnson, Stuart Hedges, generic, J Harris, Sue Clark, Jill L, S Clark, mat
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Petts Wood
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Petts Wood Knowhere Board