Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Portsmouth, Hampshire*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Portsmouth.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Roger Black. Athlete, went to Portsmouth Grammar School
- charles dickens , peter sellers , isamberd k. brunel,
- Fern Britton used to live in Southsea
- See my History of Portsmouth Website listed below.
- It was not Denis Healey who used to be a pupil of The Northern Grammar School For Boys in Mayfield Road in North End but James Calaghan whose nickname was creepy Calaghan
- Last person to come into SCRAWL was Guy Fletcher, Dire Straits Keyboards
- It is mentioned on your site that Sir Patrick Moore lives in Southsea, rumoured
that Elm Grove is his resident address however after searching the net, I believe that he actually lives in Selsey. Sorry but if you do an indepth search yourselves, you'll see that all the hits show selsey as his home town.
- Sir Patrick Moore actually lives along the coast at SELSEY
- Charles Dickens
- Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Leilani (the page three girl)
- Well there's the 657 club, they are football holligans (or were at first) but most of them are pretty nice guys if you chat to them, they just like football a bit too much... that and hitting scummers with heavy objects.
- Sir Patrick Moore - the guy with the monocle who presents "The Sky at Night" lives in Southsea. I heard a rumour Elm Grove.
- Arnold Swarzenegger
- Fred Dineage... does he count
- I think his name was Paul Judkins... there was a story in one of the nationals about how he was one of the countries greatest ladies men back in the early 90's
- Ex Res. Peter Sellers, Arnie Schwarzenneger, James Callaghan, Arthur Conan Doyle,Charles Dicken, Rudyard Kipling, H.G. Wells, Simon Ward, Audrey Jeans,
Paul Jones, Nevil Shute.
- All of the Portsmouth team
- Alan Knight (Pompey Goal keeper) london road
- Clolin Ware. Left to acquire fame as the authoritive expert of the mains drainage system of Bedfield in Suffolk.
- Arnold Schwartznegar started his training in a small Gym in tha Albert Road in Southsea before he became the big star he is today.
- Freddie Mercury, Marc Bolan, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Dickens, Isambard Brunel Kingdom, and me
- Nevil Shute - author
Rudyard Kipling writer of the Jungle Book,spent much of his early childhood in Southsea.
H.G.Wells spent sometime in Portsmouth working in a Drapers shop.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle the creator of Sherlock Holmes spent many years working as a doctor in Southsea, it was at this time he wrote his first Holmes novels.
Peter Sellers - Film/Television/Radio Comic Actor.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel - Famous Victorian Engineer.
- Ex-Monkee Davy Jones used to live in Bedhampton
- Sir Alec Rose sailed from Portsmouth on the Lively Lady back in 1968;
Nelson of course - his flagship Victory is in the Naval Base. Charles Dickens
was born here but only lived here till he was about 2; Dennis Healy went to
what is now Mayfield School in North End (I think it was the Northern
Grammar School before); Henry VIII used to live in Southsea Castle (well, sort
of) - he built it and watched from the battlements as the Mary Rose sank on her
- Charles Dickens himself and you can visit his birthplace too.
- Roger Hodgson (ex-Supertramp) born here on Mar 21 1950 12:00 PM GMT!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Pauly, gemma dally, George, moon pig, chantel, laura, jj, vivien walsh, Chris, clare, david manning, Rich, Rosy o'hare, M Fitzgerald, Maggie Mae, danny, James Cole, Monkey Nut, Maisie Chan, alex, Dave, james beattie, susan pike, sally timson, June Tanner, Jon Dunne, Wayne Patterson, adam, BlinKy, Pete, katie, Golly, UnglaViche, Simon, James Perrett, Gareth Colwell, Paul Malish, Lauren Waters, Neil McDonald, J.D, nick, Sylvia Rowe, Paul hussey, rick moranus, Matthew Williams, charlie walsham, Peter, Jase Uherhart, pippa, Mikey, Guest, Tom Sykes, nial westwood, Gary, Pennyann, Russell Buchanan, nate williams, alana, Matthew, Ian Moody, Terry Fleet, Andy Broad, Portsmouthrider, tom, Bubba, Udy, Chris Webb, darren, Twat, sue, claire camden, bobcattt, Paul Robinson, Adrian, matty, DawnMarie, Andy, amy, gary todd, Michelle-Louise, ronwoman, J Dunne, flobo, Olie, Oli Collins, steven kingett, John Cox, carrie, jim, Deb, ken, Phil. V., Paul Tambini, Russ Jones, Brian Robbins, Emma, Anthony Murley, Brian Starr, Steve Wright, Kennyleb, Jayne Elliott, Owen, H.Warren, Jade, myke, James Alexander, Amy W, KiRsTy, Liz, kaz, email@example.com, Andy McNaughton, Heather, Angela Muscat, Penny Barge, Matthew Harrison, Gordon, steve mcdonald, Nick Courtney, Loz, john, jane, the vodka monster, oh max, ursula, generic, Michelle Lancaster (nee Roberts), Rebecca Valentine, buster, Anna Bazley, Tony Bridger, Ferg, Hannah, i8an_bateman, lisa, Matt P., Helen Jones
Last updated: 2015-04-24
More stuff about Portsmouth
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Portsmouth Knowhere Board