The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Rye, East Sussex*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Rye.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Sorry, but the Ypres tower isn't pronounced Yeeps or anything like the French. It's officially pronounced 'Wipers' – that's not the usage of gormless American tourists as the site suggests, although it probably derives from British soldiers in the first world war. Listen to the Rye Town Model commentary!
- As a matter of course, AVOID TILLING GREEN ESTATE. I would also reccomend a CAS Policy (Carry a stick).
- RYE WURLITZER - Theatre Organ Concerts ...........
at Thomas Peacocke Community College, Love Lane, Rye, 2.30pm start.
28th Nov'04 Robert Wolfe ** 12th Dec'04 David Redfern Christmas Concert ** 6th Feb'05 Ian Griffin ** 13th March'05 Chris Powell ** 7th April'05 Jean Martyn ** 15th May Janet Dowsett **
see our website at http:www.geocities.com/ryewurlitzer
NEW BOOK now available: "History of the Rye Wurlitzer"........ details at the website
- Rock-a-Hula, shop in the Rope Walk Shopping Centre full of all sorts of shiny stuff and novelty items
- Talking of Rye bonfire and Celebrities who have set it ablaze. 1999 - Vic Reeves and about 2 or 3 years prior to that Rod Hull (And that Bird) did the deed.
- There are more than 5 Cinque Posts!
- well, it really comes under an event, theres Rye bonfire annually this year its the 27th of November, the whole town lines the streets and theres a procession involving local societies and bonfire societies from accross East sussex, loads of people turn up and its not just locals, the evening ends up with a huge bonfire and fireworks display on the salts usually lit by some celebrity, in the past its been Spike Milligan, Phillipa Forester and i cant remmember the others
- Rye is one of the "Cinque Ports" the other four being Winchelsea, and another three which I can't remember. Well, it's a bit of trivia anyway. Back in the old days, around the 12th Century, the place used to get raided by the French, a wall was built around the town and the sea used to come up around the walls. It's now buggered off a coupla miles away at Rye Harbour. The Landgate is one of the gates still remaining.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Tobias Alcalde, Sophie, Rye Wurlitzer, Blockboy, Jason McLaughlin, nix tucker, zoe lewis, helen, Mandy, jenny, todd, Jim Hollands, David Arscott, Joopli, Colin Bailey, VIBEMAN, Alison, Maryse, A.Estcourt, M Estcourt, lily, Stephen Cooper, generic, Peter Gill, Kirsty, jans penfold, Jake Portch
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Rye
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Rye Knowhere Board