Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Shoreham by Sea.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- The Pashley brothers, pioneers in aviation from the beginning of the 20th century.
Havergal Brian, composer of 32 symphonies, many choral works and orchestral music. Lived on Shoreham Beach where he died aged 96 in 1972. His Gothic Symphony (No.1) is the longest ever written.
- Nicholas van Hoogstraten was born here
- scott welsh,heavey weight boxer.resident of shoreham beach & used to serve us chip butties from cafe next to the duke (before he made it)
- Once saw Adam Faith eating on the terrace at La Casa, the Spanish Tapas place at Lady Bee Marina
- leo sayer
- Cliff Richards used to Live on Shoreham Beach
Some of teh Crazy gang used to live in Shoreham ( 1950s)
- Simon Mayo (Radio 1) brought up in shoreham, started work on Radio southlands (shoreham hospital radio station)
- Andrew Sachs (Manuel from Fawlty Towers) once lived in a road off the High Street.
- While I know I'm dating myself and being very "uncool" I remember that Ronnie
Corbett (the short one on the Two Ronnies) lived on Shoreham Beach for a while.
I actually ran into him once outside a shop on the High Street and got his
autograph. I was about 11 at the time!
Also - my best friend Beverley and I know we saw Rod Stewart one Sunday. He
was in a large white car with a Scottish sticker on it. We know to this day it
was him, although we can't imagine why he was in Shoreham. It was outside what
used to be the old "Workshop" an acting group/studio which I believe is now where
the new council offices are. (I live in Arizona now, so I'm a bit rusty on exact
- Don't know any really, but I served Toyah Wilcox when I worked in The Cricketers pub on Southwick Green.
- Leo's real first name is Gerard! My mother used to live near the Sayers and can claim the proud boast that she once bathed the baby 'Leo'!
Tele Savalas (Kojak) used to visit relatives and/or friends nearby and could often be seen in the Post Office!
Ask the locals about 'bungalow town' - between the wars this was a very 'Bohemian' area on 'the beach' frequented by artistes drawn to the area by the regional theatres - lots of outrageous behaviour, so I'm told!
- LEO SAYER!!!
- First ever public phone call made to Australia from England, made from post office. Leo Sayer (I'm a one-man band) lived there in the 70's, on a house boat. Tenko episode filmed at the airport.
- Charles II escaped from the Roundheads from here. Leo Sayer also lived in the hospital grounds.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Sarah Willson, john phelps, James Thomson, Sarah Booker, Barry Smith, Nigel Kendrick, gary baines, Matt Goddard, Rich, Peter Weaver, Rick Dupuy, Paul Häggqvist, Steve Barker, Alan, Katie Piatt, Joe, generic, JEFF, Pete F, Lukas Bernstein, chris knowles, Hayz, vic trudgian, Diana Sopp, rob, Ninja, Tom, M. Williams, gary green, trevor, Jan Knight, Martyn Baker, Vicki, rachel aylett, Theresa, Derek Hammond, Moya
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Shoreham by Sea
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Shoreham by Sea Knowhere Board