Arts, crafts and such in Spitalfields, Greater London*
Anything from pukka art galleries to craft shops. Trendy and twee both welcome.
You can tell us more about Spitalfields.
Arts, crafts and such
- In regard to the warning to stay away from Queens...disregard it. A resident of the US, these guys are wonderful people and have even gone above and beyond to help me purchase items while I'm stateside. A little respect goes a long way...
- For the sort of jewellry you wont see in airports try @Work in Brick Lane near the junction with Buxton Street.
- be very careful of a shop called Queens in spitalfields market. it sells camp toys and bric a brac, such as elvis teddy bears, flying rabbits and snowstorms. we were accused of breaking a small ceramic figure [even though there was no proof], and when we protested our innocence, we were ordered to get out of the shop after we refused to pay for the damage, followed by a torrent of f**king c**ts from the manager. there were no signs on the wall saying that all breakages should be paid for either. not very professional considering there were children in the shop. shocking service: considering that YOU could be subject to this undeserved abuse, this place doesn't deserve your business. avoid!
- Fordham Street Gallery - small and often empty but occassionaly you get a bunch of art students hanging around drinking beer for an "opening". The art is pretty random and often not great but you may get a few free beers out of it!
Atlantis arts shop on Fieldgate Street - an emporium of art stuff
- The Centre of Attention
15 Cottons Gardens
off Kingsland Road
New Art gallery
Third show previewing Thursday 2d December 1999 , 7 to 9
- East London Design show at Shoredtich Town Hall is where the artists sell multiples, craftspeople and makers sell their wears direct at very keen prices. Twice a year:Summer in early June and early December. Most exhibitors are local and since Shoredtich is chock full of artrists and people making things.....
- Indonesian Crafts on a Sunday at Spitalfields Market (and there during the week, from Wednesday onwards) "A Breath of Asia" really cool Indonesian Furniture and crafts, excellent prices, from 0900 - 5.00 p.m. Nearest tube: Aldgate East, on the District Line. 5 minute walk.
- Loads of stuff verging-on twee stuff in Spitalfields Market. Atlantis art and supply in Brick Lane. Whitechapel Art Gallery of course.
- Columbia Road Market on Sundays. There are more artists living & working in a mile radius of Shoreditch than anywhere else in Europe. Just ask.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Saint Acid, joel, Mo, Melanie, Will, Dave Ditch, Claire Hansford, Roland Jeffery, Ethelreda Gotobed, Perry, jo, ian e smith, plonker, Paul Sandwell, daniel, Stuart Scanlan, matt, Paul Sanders, Pierre at the Centre of Attention, adam modelski, the dogs bollocks, Clare Carabott, Rob Skedgell, mushie, generic, chrisbrock, vik, shireen, andy- northlondon, Julie Zielstra, Sam
Last updated: 2008-11-11
More stuff about Spitalfields
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Spitalfields Knowhere Board