The Best Things in Stoke Newington, Greater London*
If you're around, be sure to check these things out
You can tell us more about Stoke Newington.
The Best Things
- sort of cosmopolitan and very up and coming (judging by that book club advert thingy on this site!)
- Church St is full of decent cafes and restaurants, and the demographic is young yet family oriented - a nice compromise between gritty inner city life and cosy suburbia.
- going home
- Pretty much a laid back take me as you find me kind of place, nobody bats an eyelid if there is a clown in full costume complete with comedy shoes, sitting at the bus stop reading a paper. I know. I have actually seen this.
- Good Second Hand Bookshop along Church Street.
Good Library on Church Street too.
It's total inaccessibilty by Tube - you're allowed to talk to people you don't know on the bus.
The fact that the 73 is a Routemaster with a conductor.
Stokey has always been a home to dissenters and non-conformists (no wonder Conrad found the anarchist Verlocs there!), and although the trendiness is taking a more mainstream trend of late it's still a hodge-podge of eclecticism unto itself.
- Have found this to be a perfect area for young children, with parks (Springfield, Clissold, London Fields, Hackney Marshes), child-friendly eateries (the Cooler, Il Bacio, all the Indian places and Bar Lorca), great library, easy access to the rest of London, and fab primary schools. Don't get me started on the secondary school problem - but I'm not moving!
- Marc Bolan was born there.
- Nice people and a real community feel. Very child friendly.
- The 73 bus. Nobody knows where Stoke Newington is but they've all heard of it.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Pauly, Ian Lewis, Martin, Sian, guy, harriet salisbury, Jonny McIntosh, jamie, will, Kirsty Hopkins, sharon baxter, Lynn Player, adam colenso, martin togher, Bill, emma, xerode, Troy, Tim, Ash, rollerjen, marilyn, generic, Gary Bridgewood, Anna Baria, Janice Phayre, Nathaniel Tapley, Matt Lary, Twit, Scott Hyde
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Stoke Newington
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Stoke Newington Knowhere Board