Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Stoke Newington, Greater London*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Stoke Newington.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Stewart Lee is a local resident and all the stand-up performance bits of Comedy Vehicle were shot at the Mildmay Club in Newington Green
- stupid screaming cockneys and middle classes that were a bit too conservative, usually
- Malcom McClaren used to live in Clissold Crescent
- Simon Munnery - luvverly comedy enterainer, and winner of the Silver Rose of Montreux.
- Phil Cornwell (comedian, Stella Street), Neil Blackmore (novelist) Tjinder Singh (singer, Cornershop)
- "Tanya" aka Zoe Lucker from 'Footballers Wifes" and on/off boyfriend Tony Craig who presents CBBC.
- ethel and beatty from the nightingale.
- Helen Baxendale (Cold Feet); Alex Norton (Taggart); Helen Austin (Comedienne & TV presenter); Paul Tonkinson (TV presenter and comedian); Phil Daniels (Quadrophenia and Blur); Ed Tudor Pole (Punk and Harry Potter actor); Steven White (musician); David Richards (painter); Django Bates (Jazz singer); Rufus Edwards (celebrity florist); Anna Adams (journalist); Beverley Hills (soap star); Gary Mabbut (footballer): Peter Dean (actor); Fi Glover (radio presenter); Paul Petherton (psychic) and Julian Lloyd-Weber (musician) all have kids at the same school.
- Loads of 'bit' actors milling around, you know, ones you've seen on telly but can never remember what in or their names.
- Joseph Conrad used to live on Dynevor Road between sea voyages and is thought to have based the characters of the Verlocs in 'The Secret Agent' on his landlord and landlady there.
Edgar Allen Poe.
Daniel Defoe lived on Church Street, where he wrote Robinson Crusoe and others.
- Well known that Suede took their name from dry-cleaning shop called The Persueders, just down Stoke Newington High Street towards Dalston. They have been spotted out and about in Stokey many a time.
Paul Whitehouse et al used to hang about the area - think he used to eat in Yum Yums.
Gilbert and George patronise a local restaurant, but I'm not saying which one.
- Kate Winslett used to live there. b4 she hit the big time
- -David Gray lives on Albion Road
-Even better is the Manager out of 70's kids TV series "Murphy's Mob" drinks in the local pub!!
- Marc Bolan was born on Stoke Newington Common, (not literally on the grass). There's a blue plaque now outside the flat he lived in.
- Stu-pot from Grange Hill has been spotted many a time on Church Street -
- Marie Lloyd - old time music hall entertainer, lived on Graham Road.
- Loads of media people - ex Eastenders types, current Eastenders types. Writers, actors directors and who cares anyway!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Pauly, Ian Lewis, Martin, Sian, guy, harriet salisbury, Jonny McIntosh, jamie, will, Kirsty Hopkins, sharon baxter, Lynn Player, adam colenso, martin togher, Bill, emma, xerode, Troy, Tim, Ash, rollerjen, marilyn, generic, Gary Bridgewood, Anna Baria, Janice Phayre, Nathaniel Tapley, Matt Lary, Twit, Scott Hyde
Last updated: 2012-08-20
More stuff about Stoke Newington
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Stoke Newington Knowhere Board