Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Streatham, Greater London*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Streatham.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- David Harewood, now of Homeland fame, lives in Streatham
- Just an addition to the Eddie Izzard bit.... he shared the flat with our esteemed past MP, Keith Hill
- Sarah Beeny the TV presenter and John Torode from Masterchef live in Streatham
- Eddie Izzard used to host the comedy club at the White Lion
- Ken Livingstone
- Harry Harmer, the biographer of Martin Luther King and the British radical Tom Paine, lived in Streatham for a number of years - in Oakdale Road and then in Ambleside Avenue. He used the Safeways by Streatham Station and the Young's pub across the road.
- My place, no one ever comes :(
- Samuel Johnson, and - almost as impressive - the lead singer of Boney M.
- june whitfield was from streatham........and yorkshire ripper peter sutcliffe used to sleep overnight in streatham common car park in his lorry when in London, he would drink in the conquering hero pub
- Naomi Campbell - Super Model
John Galliano - fashion Designer
Brad Bitt (filmed a scene for 'Fight Club' at Caesars...yes really)
- HOW CAN YOU FORGET ABOUT ROLLING STONES BASSIST BILL WYMAN (Ne PERKS)? HE WAS BORN AND RAISED IN STREATHAM. (shame on you for having to have a Pennsylvanian remind you of this)
- Lynda Baron (nurse Gladys Emmanuel from "Open All Hours") still lives here and usually gets asked to turn on the street lights at Christmas. Eric Richard as well (ex-Sgt Bob Cryer from "The Bill").
- Roger Moore
- WRESTLER KENDO-NAG-ASAKI WAS CAUGHT IMPERTUNING IN THE TOILETS ON THE COMMON
- Not many people know this but perhaps not many people from Streatham want to!! Aleister Crowley one of Britain's most notorious, wicked men lived in Streatham when he was a boy. He lived near the common and went to the old School at the bottom of Streatham Common North near to Streatham High Road. It was at that school that he nearly blew himself to pieces with a firework.
- Daniel Bedingfield. number one right now i think.
- Brilliant bassist in notable 70's punk effort the Vibrators, Pat Collier, is a Streathamite. With a decent recording studio down the road in Tooting Bec.
- Sir Arnold Bax, famous composer and Master of the King's Music, writer and novelist (under the pseudonym Dermot O'Byrne) was born in Streatham in 1883
- Michelia Stracken lived at the bottom of Tirrney Road in Streatham Hill, right by the bus garage
- David Jacobs, DJ, anyone over forty will remember him, was born in Telford Avenue.
- William Mildin, 14th Earl of Streatham, was the real-life inspiration for Tarzan of the Apes. In 1868 he was shipwrecked off West Africa at the age of 11, and spent 15 years living in the jungle, after which he liveed in Thrale Road (not much difference there, then).
- Bernard Braden and his wife Barbara Kelly(remember life with the bradens?) used to live in a block of flats in Leigham Court Rd;about 300yards up on the right hand side from Streatham Hill.
- The Tate family. That of Tate & Lyle sugar co. Lived on the top of the Common, that big old white building.
Also Niomi Cambell, (as we know) and semi drag queen (not sure which way to swing) Eddie Izzard who used to walk around Streatham Common with a dictaphone prcticing his stand up comedy routines.
Just as a matter of interest, the boxing scene from the film 'Snatch'was filmed in Ceaser's Night Club. So that must make Brad Pitt and Guy Ritchie Honorary residents.
- Roger Moore (according to this week's Streatham Mercury)
- Deryck Guyler lived in Streatham for many years
- Shelock Homes visited Streatham in one of C Doyles' novels (sorry I can't remember which)
- Until 1997, Eddie Izzard used to live in Pullman Court next to Brixton Bus Garage.
And the headmaster of St Andrews Primary School in the 70's was the father of Pauline Collins.
- i believe that shaw taylor, who had a programme on the television to do withpolice work.in the days when streatham was very different, i lived there from 1948 to 1975. what ever happened to "pratts" the john lewis store, and has "waitrose" gone too? is my school st. leonards still there?
- Carl Davies the composer/condctor used to live next to Cythia Payne.
Kevin Day the comedian lives here
- Roger Moore went to Battersea Grammar School located on Tooting Bec Common in 1939.
- Naomi Campbell
- Cynthia Payne.
- A famous ex resident was Tommy Trinder who was born in Wellfield Road and has a blue plaque to mark the spot.
- June Whitfield was brought up here, dear.
- "Red" Ken Livingstone was born in Shrubbery Road (reputedly above the former Tory Constituency office)
- Simon Callow was born in Pinfold Road.
- Dr Johnson was the most famous resident (after Cynthia Payne). There are streets named after him, his biographer, and his black manservant and friend Francis Barber just off Valley Road.
- Some of carter usm
- John Major (prime minister or something)
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Henry Wolny, Zoe, tony amos, laura, Michael M, Tony Kehoe, mark, and man, Streatham Online, tim ridley, Alasdair, Lesley Smith, Leigh, F Strachan, gavin, Ian Sega, louise, Emanuel, jen collier, maria, shepz, Damon Levine, madeleine, alex, Matthew Lenton, Tony French, Gangsta, Greg D, fuckhead, MickyC, Frances Button, Streatham Pulse, kendra, Luke Tope, NJW, steve, Nick, Helen Taylor, David, Anna Godsiff, Samantha Fox, Steven Pittman, red monkey, geoff, mike gooch, sandra, lang rabbie, sarah, lu, Robert Doyle, Col, Norm, Sophie, Kam, Freek, dan, Rob Newell, Robert Doyle, John Ray, Deanna Finlayson, Sabrina Ayadassen, Richard Stewart, Max, Mark Sumner, Mark Shaw, Jan Czarnopolski, Tony Silva, sam, shane, brendan maher, generic, pauly, Brant, Billy Shearer, Lucs, Ian Box, Loraine, email@example.com, Lesley, michael moran, Andrew McKinna, jhon, jonathan roberts, The Great Eamondo, Robert Hill, lisa, Vanessa Stopford, hilary lambert, Robert Barber, R, jOAN PETERSON, Marie-Therese
Last updated: 2012-03-25
More stuff about Streatham
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Streatham Knowhere Board