The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Streatham, Greater London*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Streatham.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Caesar's Palace, the Bingo Hall, The Bowling Alley - (not to mention the Tesco/Lambeth ice rink, swimming pool ongoing fiasco) the demise of Pratt's dept store - COME ON FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Streatham used to be Grand - let's take it halfway to being grand again - PLEASE!
- Streatham is mentioned in Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence.
- The "plague pit" on the green is an urban myth I'm afraid. That sinister looking mound is, in fact, a WWII air raid shelter. There is a plague pit beneath the crypt at St Leonard's Church though.
- I have made a web site on the history, with photos etc. of the Telford Park Estate, Streatham Hill. Perhaps you could put a link to it, or its URL in your
list? The URL is http://www.telfordpark.plus.com. It isn't fun, but quite interesting, I think. The Streatham Society Home Page, which would be more
relevant, seems to have disappeared.
- Does anyone have any idea what they are going to do with the old ABC/Cannon cinema? It was pretty ridiclous to have two so close to each other, but it would be a real shame to let that building turn into something dull...
- A really good stationariy shop beside The Odeon is really good, if you're intrested...! And go to garagepicnic.com if you're under 18 'cause the UK's first under 18's music festival is happening on Clapham Common - Oct/Nov 2001 - and it's in conjuction with Kiss 100 so expect good bands
- I have lived here for a year and have not seen any prostitutes? Where are they? Dissapointed of Streatham
- Worth a visit, even if while passing at high speed on the Thamselink...
- The Green by Chariot's Roman Spa used to be a plague pit, and Tooting Bec Common used to be a transit camp for soldiers going to the Napoleonic Wars - hence the scantily clad "ladies" drinking Special Brew standing on corners.
- Good for films, bowling, skating and carting.
- Avoid the health food shop down near St Leonard's if you're from Scotland -- they don't like the colour of your money...
- Accommodation: Loads of it in Streatham, and cheap too! Gleneldon Road is the place to be! Also: 24 Hour garage for milk and stuff behind the Green - also 24 hour key charging for the electricity meter in Streatham at Mobil Garage.
- SHOPPING - Safeway is the only supermarket worth visiting if you want a good selection of foods without having to queue for ages.
- Some of the down points are not really fair. It's not as run down as it used to be, and the council are trying to improve the situation... And crime isn't as bad as people make out to be.
- United Estates, I found, are very friendly and provide the best management service for landlords, like myself. The sales and administration team are truely professional. If you're reading, keep up the good work!
- When my mate from Luton came to vist they were scared
- Despite its bad reputation for being a trashy, inner-city, crime infested red light district, its really not that bad.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Henry Wolny, Zoe, tony amos, laura, Michael M, Tony Kehoe, mark, and man, Streatham Online, tim ridley, Alasdair, Lesley Smith, Leigh, F Strachan, gavin, Ian Sega, louise, Emanuel, jen collier, maria, shepz, Damon Levine, madeleine, alex, Matthew Lenton, Tony French, Gangsta, Greg D, fuckhead, MickyC, Frances Button, Streatham Pulse, kendra, Luke Tope, NJW, steve, Nick, Helen Taylor, David, Anna Godsiff, Samantha Fox, Steven Pittman, red monkey, geoff, mike gooch, sandra, lang rabbie, sarah, lu, Robert Doyle, Col, Norm, Sophie, Kam, Susan Tavner, Freek, dan, Rob Newell, Robert Doyle, John Ray, Deanna Finlayson, Sabrina Ayadassen, Richard Stewart, Max, Mark Sumner, Mark Shaw, Jan Czarnopolski, Tony Silva, sam, shane, brendan maher, generic, pauly, Brant, Billy Shearer, Lucs, Ian Box, Loraine, firstname.lastname@example.org, Lesley, michael moran, Andrew McKinna, jhon, jonathan roberts, The Great Eamondo, Robert Hill, lisa, Vanessa Stopford, hilary lambert, Robert Barber, R, jOAN PETERSON, Marie-Therese
Last updated: 2009-04-22
More stuff about Streatham
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Streatham Knowhere Board