Pubs in Taunton, Somerset*
The place to go for a lazy afternoon, pub quiz or last call
You can tell us more about Taunton.
- Great pub just outside taunton called the Queens Arms at Pitminster
- Taunton offers a choice in pub styles: "smelly old man" and "bling coated chav". Either way you'll have to pass a large number of vomiting youth's to get home.
- henrys if ur a skater dude ... market house if ur a chav ... moat house if ur loaded AVOID MILITARY & NAVY on east reach, it stinks
- oh god where to start. no shortage of pubs here....! perhaps a shortage of great ones however. 2 wetherspoons reside in taunton, of course you get what u pay for but if youre skint theyre a great place to start the evening (the perkin is better than the coal orchard thou due to there being about 10x more room...!) alo reccommended are the moat house, millers and...urm probably thats about it. if you walk around town eveningish thou youre 100%sure to find something, theyre all pretty close together...
- Tudor tavern....is no longer a pub!!??? I was hoping you could confirm that the local council had a really silly idea of transforming it into a Caffe Nero, but have since changed their crazy little minds and it has all been a horrible horrible dream..... :(
- sturms is where the clapping takes place, always fresh filly's ready to be corrupted.
- The Moat House has recently been refurbished and under new management, now serves a wide variety of good food and drink. Nice people too!
- Tend to hit the Merry Monk when in and around Taunton. Swan in Kingston St Mary used to be another good one.
- Sturm's sports bar is the place to be at the weekends. Don't go up stairs if you're not from Taunton School though!
- I can't believe nobody mentioned the Racehorse. Best (and only decent) pint of Guinness in town, plus it doesn’t attract baggy trousered townies. Stay away from the Market House unless you like kareoke and twats.
- The moat... egh.
- henrys, biggest spirits selection ive ever seen, 12 tequilas, 5 absinths, cocktails by the jug, good value, and some good beers to.
- Coal Orchard has just opened where Spiller and Webber used to be. Quite cheap, good food!
- Toad is the best place to go, any night of the week! Music cheesy, and dance, drinks the same as anywhere else, and for talent spotting, it;s certainly the best! But get there early else you queue!
- Mason's Arms
- The Old Library does great cocktails and many of the clientele are surprisingly good looking, for Taunton.
- What have they done to my beautiful cellar bar, ripped the roof out & turned it into a glitzy 2 tiered disgrace full of kiddies drinking alcopops......I always thought millers & the hangmans was for that purpose.
- A great yokel atmosphere can be found in the royal oak of stoke st gregory, with a wide range of oriental themed food ranging from pickled eggs to surf and turf. And alcholic beverages like buttcomb bitter. There is a wide range of availables to chose from and if your a women you will have no hastle finding a sex starved male to acompany you to the playing fields to aid you in aquiring a lovely lot of grass stains, in doing this you will give the gosip curupted village conversation for weeks.
- The Master Thatcher is the ultimate pits as far as pubs go with the most miserable bar staff that ever roamed the earth. I hope the owners read this cos they won't wanna be the owners for very long.
- The Perkin and the Toad.
- Henrys is the place to go for cocktails, the place might look a bit of a dive, but it has the LARGEST cocktail menu I have ever seen. Oh and if you have ever heard of a spirit, no matter how obscure, the chances are they serve it here, inc. Absinthe - 2 varieties. I personally recommend the 'Shakin Gareth', chocolate ice-cream and baileys, need I say more!?!
- WINCHESTER ARMS by the bus station.
- Miss out Perkin Walbek only people from taunton school go there assuming that they are the best in the world. They are all analy retentive and the rugby team suck each other off
- There used to be some good pubs, but they've shut them all down and opened things like Brazz and Remedies.
- The friendliest and most interesting bar in Taunton is Harpoon Louies.
- Perkin Warbeck, cheap beer and the biggest pub in Taunton
- Lots of and yes, they do all think they are nightclubs. Sloanes is debatable as to whether it actually is or not, Apparently it is.... hmmmm.
- Chips? With cheeese. Mmmmmmm. Grand food guys, shame you forgot to make it in the least bit digestable.
- Perkin warbeck is the place to go
- The Princess Royal,nice place,nice grub.
- THe winch, Moathouse and White Hart are the most popular pubs in town.
- Lots, ranging from quiet to heaving full of nutcases. Millers is definatley the best tucked behind Debenhams, quite a skaty surfy crowd (quite a few posh kids though)
- The Hungry Horse on the Wellington New Road (used to be called The Stonegallows) has extremely good and reasonably priced food. Give it a try, great atmosphere.
- Tudor Tavern is the oldest building in Taunton, and a favourite pub for students.
- An excellent pub for food and Ye Olde Pub feeling is The Old Inn at Bishops Hull.
- Popular student type pubs can be found around the Castle area, with the Winchester Arms being a haunt for Friday afternoons. The Moathouse is usually a bit quieter... a bit! The Vivary Arms also does good food. For something a bit more rough and ready try the Westgate Arms. It's a cool pub for avoiding the crowds... and it's got a Billiards table.
There are lots of very good pubs in the surrounding countryside. Places such as North Curry, Kingston St Mary, Bishops Lydeard and Bradford on Tone all have good pubs. Bar meals in these village pubs are astounding.
- The Ferret and Trouserleg - near the Winch, is a good student pub, but you occasionally get your slimy old men trying to pick up young girls. Good for a laugh though.
- Henry's - great food. Intended for older people, but with three pool tables upstairs, you tend to get students there in large groups.
- The Alma - mainly a Richard Huish College student pub during the day, it has recently been refurnished, and now has a decent pool table, juke-box, and good food.
- The Eagle - small pub, doesn't attract many people, due to it being on a back-street, but it has a good pool-table and juke-box. You get a few students there, but mainly your older people.
- JD Wetherspoons have just opened up in town, yet another drinking establishment for Taunton and I see that there are plans for two more soon!
- The new (Thatched pub> now open in Taunton...The Master Thatcher.... situated along Liseux way...nice themed pub.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Michael Ewing, arachni_name), simon, Penfold =8-), Sarah Jenkins, Pip Davey, Gail Richardson-Reid, Paul Davis, Roger Ian Helmsley, Dave Qipps, heidi, Chris, Rosebayrosie, Robin, Dan, Lusy, ........me, Nikki, Steve Asbury, Jethrotull, Chris Briggs, Bert Stanley, Dan Harris, misterio, John Russell-Turner, Leandra, Liam Crossly-Baxter III, alyson, Paul Ensor, elfish, Dan Jones, Julia Morton, Dave, becci, Sam Allen, Lilj, Dick Advacart, Koops, arachni_name, The Informer, Laura, steve, Martin Shelton, Cam, Paul, Chaz, Neil, Andy Blake, Liz, steven, amie, nathan, Graham, Amy, Robert, Neil White, Crystal, Mart, vic and bec, Mike Davis, Harry, Britney, martin driver, Tony, John Cowley, dean close, Martin, daver, Terry Cotton, Katrina Clarke, Jules Bushell, Jaine, clarissa, Martin Wright, Sarah Taylor, kay, Ellie, Johnny Davis, matt, Mike, Josh J, The Spiv, Tim Driver, Bobby C., troy, vic, woodles, fi, M Ewing, generic, Jimbo, Mike Bailey, dachel collections, Philip Kirkpatrick, seanyg, dustyn, colin.b, arachni_name"'`--, Clarie Keer, Bonjy McFeller, Ian Hutterifge, Inbred I, john green, andy, Rachel, mike ball, Kate, Robert Norris, ben, Simeon, Nickalos, Jason, dominic, shamrock, walpole, Harry JP, pinky, Harry Prideaux, M Gibson, Robert Varnam, Bill Bennett, Ad, karl, Pip Youngman
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Taunton
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Taunton Knowhere Board