The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Taunton, Somerset*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Taunton.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- gigsandgames.com have tickets for events all over the world, if you want to get out of Taunton, and see a London show, a concert, soccer games etc, just check out http://gigsandgames.com
- FUTTIN TAUNTON INNUM BUD, ARD AS FUCK LIKE...
- Bath Place is awesome - the 'alternative' hub of Taunton. Peaches and Brendon Books are just great!! It's nice to see something that you can't find in every other town in Somerset!!
- There are a lot of nutters here, myself included. This is neither a very good or a very bad thing, but just some nice helpful general knowledge.
- The Tudor Tavern is now a coffee shop for poseurs.
I doubt Craig David is still going to the Winch, given the current clientel he'd probabley get beaten up unless he was wearing a Man U shirt, white trainers and track suit trousers. Besides he's too old for that pub.
- please visit taunton and spend money
- urm....taunton isn't that bad really....better than bridgwater at any rate....! its good if that's what u make it, thats' what ifind anyway....
- fat people
- Taunton seems to be full of really unfriendly people,I've been living here for a year and only other 'outsiders' will speak to me and I'm a fairly normal person.I made an error moving here and I would urge anyone considering moving here to think again.
- Might interest some people in town: Robert W.A. Holland has a little daughter of almost 2 years living in Austria! Surprise surprise!
- I find it hard to believe that others find Taunton unfriendly. I have lived here for only two years but I find Taunton to be one of the friendliest places on earth. People are always willing to chat, pass the time of day and generally be good neighbours and the salt of the earth. I love Taunton!
- Taunton was once described as "a Hotbed of Apathy" - well the last time we got excited by anything we ended up with a visit from Judge Jefferies!
Why did the Council want to turn it into a clone of Leicester?
- Don't go anywhere near Taunton School. It is pants (personal, experienced and fair point)
- There are some really fit birds here dont make the mistake of losing really special ones like i unfortunately did :-(
- I have done a piece of GCSE work on "Whether or not Taunton is a good place to live" and the results have been as I have expected, On the whole the people who live in Taunton find it a very great place to live. And over 60% of the people I asked said Taunton was Good, or Very Good. If you wish to see my Coursework I will gladly post it up on the internet, in August when my exams are over.
- this place must be the unfrienliest town in the uk. having been here for 20 years it has taken
15 of them to strike up a conversation with a local. thankfully a lot of outsiders have settled
down in taunton so i can at least have a conversation with someone when i go out for a pint.
that is very rarely as all the pubs are shite!!
- Taunton Still Operates under the feudal surf system
- After fourteen years of living and working in the area, it is my belief the locals consider the world to be flat, and that you fall off the edge if you go somewhere past Bridgwater. Coming from somewhere miles beyond Bristol, in another galaxy in a paralell Universe known as the Midlands, I suppose that makes me an alien...
- BUILDING MOST IN NEED OF A NEW USE:
MECCA - MAKE IT INTO A DAMN NIGHTCLUB ALREADY (no-one wants a stupid Bingo Hall)
- Len Fairclough opened the new ICELAND store back in 1970 something,in Bridge Street.
- famous people - the bloke that works at castle hotel as a chef, shags fern britton!
- Taunton is famous for being the centre of the 'Bloody Assizes' where Judge Jefferies, the hanging judge, sentenced large portions of the town's population to various nasty ends for rebelling with the Duke of Monmouth. It's also famous for its cider... Blackthorn, Red Rock, Diamond White etc...
- The town itself has less than 50,000 people, but it provides shops etc for more than double that number.
- You are at a definite disadvantage if you don't have a car or bike. Even getting to places like Minehead can be a major chore. This is because public transport is expensive and doesn't have much of a service. The general rule seems to be... the more you head into the confusing but very pretty back lanes of the surrounding hills, the more you'll find you like the place.
- Taunton doesn't have a Youth Hostel, the nearest being in the Quantock hills. I think it's only open a couple of days a week.
- It's also 30 miles to both north and south coasts and a short drive to Glastonbury, if you are into that scene.
- The main campus of Somerset College of Arts and Technology is situated to the west of the town. It's a souped up sixties sprawl, but it still has quite a rural feel.. partly due to the cemetry on one side and the river Tone on the other. Bishops Hull Annexe is the old village primary school but now holds a lot of the humanities department. You might like it because everyone gets to know everyone else, but it has Eggwash walls and portacabins...hmmm. Staplegrove annexe also has a good vibe, and tends to have the Social and Health courses.
- Posh areas include: Staplegrove, Blagdon Hill, Trull
Not Posh areas include: Halcon, Lambrook, Holway (these are not rough by UK standards.. :)
- How about a mention for the highly successful (15 years ago) Somerset County Cricket Club, who have their home in Taunton.
- The Duke of Monmouth was also proclaimed King near the bottom of the current High Street (I think).
- Vivary Park (very top of the High Street) is splendid in Summer (usual Putting etc.). Flower Show 1st week August normally.
- Most important, Taunton Town got to the FA Trophy (Vase?) Final at Wembley in 1994. They lost 2-1 after extra-time to Diss Town. 11 (eleven) minutes of injury time were played after the 90 minutes. At this point Taunton were leading 1-0. Diss scored in the 11th minute and the ref blew-up for extra-time (in which Diss scored again). Rumours after the match floated around that the referee came from Bury-St-Edmunds (not a million miles from Diss) AND played for Diss as a junior...
- A couple of hundred years ago there were thirteen pubs around the centre, last time I returned there were too many cars... and not enough pubs!
- Taunton now has a new multi-million pound Library built by local firm CS Williams (Taunton) Ltd. is situated under the multi-storey car park! It boasts to be the most up to date in IT facilities with Internet connection using fibre-optic and microwave links. Housed within the new building is two conference suites, a tourist information centre, local history and archaeological departments.
- The Town Centre is being pedestrianised.
- Also there are often some damn good parties when you get to know the residents.
- There is a Teddy Bear and Dolls House Shop (especially good buying for collectors). It's called The Honey Pot, it is at the top of the High Street, opposite the Vivary Park gates. Tel 01823-352205. Open 10.30 to 16.30 (Mon-Sat)
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Michael Ewing, simon, Penfold =8-), Sarah Jenkins, Pip Davey, Paul Davis, Roger Ian Helmsley, Dave Qipps, heidi, Chris, Rosebayrosie, Robin, Dan, Lusy, ........me, Nikki, Steve Asbury, Jethrotull, Chris Briggs, Bert Stanley, Dan Harris, misterio, John Russell-Turner, Leandra, Liam Crossly-Baxter III, alyson, Paul Ensor, elfish, Dan Jones, Julia Morton, Dave, becci, Sam Allen, Lilj, Dick Advacart, Koops, The Informer, Laura, steve, Martin Shelton, Cam, Paul, Chaz, Neil, Andy Blake, Liz, steven, amie, nathan, Graham, Amy, Robert, Neil White, Crystal, Mart, vic and bec, Mike Davis, Harry, Britney, martin driver, Tony, John Cowley, dean close, Martin, daver, Terry Cotton, Jules Bushell, Jaine, clarissa, Martin Wright, Sarah Taylor, kay, Ellie, Johnny Davis, matt, Mike, Josh J, The Spiv, Tim Driver, Bobby C., troy, vic, woodles, fi, M Ewing, generic, Jimbo, Mike Bailey, dachel collections, Philip Kirkpatrick, seanyg, dustyn, colin.b, Clarie Keer, Bonjy McFeller, Ian Hutterifge, Inbred I, john green, andy, Rachel, mike ball, Kate, Robert Norris, ben, Simeon, Nickalos, Jason, dominic, shamrock, walpole, Harry JP, pinky, Harry Prideaux, M Gibson, Robert Varnam, Bill Bennett, Ad, karl, Pip Youngman
Last updated: 2011-10-03
More stuff about Taunton
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Taunton Knowhere Board