The Best Things in Tooting, Greater London*
If you're around, be sure to check these things out
You can tell us more about Tooting.
The Best Things
- there arent any bookshops
- Tooting is the most vibrant part of south london with a good mix of people. Lots of bargains, food and groceries very cheap on the high road.
- Tooting rocks. And there's IS a bookshop - it just happens to be in Balham next to the deli by Sainsbury's car park.
- Primark, the enormous selection of fresh fruit and veg sellers, the market
- selkirk, spice village, curry express, bennetts international
- Curries, friendly folk and really bustley atmosphere you don't usually find in South West. I like the slightly grimey bits as well as the pretty common and THE LIDO IN THE SUMMER - best hangover cure in the world! Just jump right in!
- JJ Moons and it's clientele. Salt of the Earth, especially Swan lake night!
- The gentrification adds another level to Tooting, it won't last as there's too many other people moving from the east.
- Primark (a legend in its own lifetime)
- Nice mix of multi racial working class and professional types.No graffiti, Decent standard of housing stock. Upper Tooting Rd Asian shops. Traffic links are the best in South London. Heaver Estate. Half decent shopping centre. Sports track, Lido, Liesure Centre and Wandsworth Council (the reason for "no graffiti"). Police Support Group and patrollers..
- Nice mix of people. I always feel safe-even late at night.
- Tooting Lido
- Tooting is friendly and still very much South London! It is full of oldies with stories and Council estate kids we want to keep it this way!!!!!!
- food in tooting
- recognising all the tramps and having names for them
- You have many ways of getting out of Tooting,bus,tube,train & tram(soon ?)
- the vibe.
- Easy to get into the city and the west end. sainsbuys is awesome. bilash tandoori restuarant rocks.
- The smell of Tooting.
The Indian restaurants.
- Just like to say, If the traffic wardens were not patroling in tooting then the traffic would be at a standstill. I think they do a good job, give em a break!
- Thriving market, good young crowds, cosmipolitan atmosphere
- Its still my little part of Sarf London. Refusing to be taken over by the usual High Street kings ! Love that Character, Freedom for Tooting, right enough !!
- close to other area's,
- THe commons
- Its cheap round here
- Good cultural mix. Bustle. Curries. Easy to get to the City or the West End on the tube.
- That huge Sainsburys is awesome. Loads of parking and loads of room inside. None of these trolly wars that I seem to have to contend with at other supermarkets. Oh, and did you know, Cases of Stella are in a sale right now (Can I write that?).....too late!
- Its still a working class stronghold on Crowborough road!!!
Freedom for Tooting!!!
- Quiet backwater where creative things can develop unditurbed.
- Affordable, close to Brixton, Clapham and Wimbledon but also far enough away.
Sree Krishna curry house
- Nice mix of people
- Full of real characters, not the "cannot afford Clapham or Battersea crowd".
Not Crouch End.
The wind tunnel effect at Tooting Bec tube station in Summer.
- Fabulous Indian food, fairly relaxed atmosphere, 30 mins to Central London, undergoing some gentrification,Tooting Broadway Tube finally been renovated, Tootings now got a deli, has a Marks and Spencer, near Wimbledon / Clapham, has the world biggest Sainsbury's nearby, good butchers/bakers, has a train line (Station has been renovated) and Balham main line is 5 mins away, lots of nice little shops to explore, Tooting Market is Fab and cheap, great junk shops on Garret lane, Wandsworth is a cheap council, Tooting has a Labour MP, one of the worlds best hospitals is on the doorstep if you ever need it (Tooting - Great Place To Have A Heart Attack), Friendly People
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Mark H, Ruth, simon, J Dempsey, Graham & Vale, harp, Ellen, j./, crikeymiles, rob dob, Westech Media , Lim Teck Hong, Gareth, Emma, jon ryan, keith walsh, john gallinari, Andy N, Dave, Vikas, John Goodwin, Danny O, Lachie, Pete Feenstra, richard, pollobarca, Dave W, orla Hickey, graham, Bob Forsberg, nick m, Karen, Gordon Miller, raj santoshi, Oli Else, michael, Oakesy, Sam Gibson, Rahim Nathwani, Reena, Anonymous, Frances(Shaw)Sartori, beth, lewis, ian, Kev, bruce, nav, Sharon Gifford, Grumlin, tommy hopper, Helen, marian meacock, Ash Akhtar, Sue, chilly, strauss, generic, Aisha, Gavin Boyd, jim lee, Lola Gonzalez, barbara, Mary, James Bateman, n, Alison, superkitty, James Dinsdale, jack king, Robert Barber, Clones
Last updated: 2013-05-12
More stuff about Tooting
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Tooting Knowhere Board