Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Tooting, Greater London*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Tooting.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Debbie Ash used to live on Graveney Road, not Leslie Ash.
Eddie Kidd used to live there too.
- Leslie Ash used to live on Graveney Road. Pretty sure that Jo Brand worked at Springfield Hospital up by Wandsworth Common, not St George's which did not really do mental health.
- The beatles lived on trevelyan road- a little known fact-before they hit the big time and played at the granada tooting now a bingo hall
- Wolfie Smith,Thomas Hardy,Dr Johnson,
- Harry Harmer, the biographer of Martin Luther King and the British radical Tom Paine, worked as an assistant in Tooting Library for a couple of years in the 1980s. He used to drink in the pub opposite.
- Mark shaw from Then Jericho can still get the ladies even though he's a poor mans Ah-ha
- The Beatles did play at the Granada Tooting. They also (all four) lived in what was rented as a theatrical house, on Trevelyan Road, directly opposite Mellison Road. They were there for just a few weeks and were just about to hit the big time. I remember seeing queues of fans lining the street waiting for their autographs. I can also remember them hanging out of their windows and draped across the top of the bonnet of a car. (Can't remember which ones but they were a friendly lot}
- Harry Hill was a doctor at St George's. I saw him in the Medical School review when he was a medical student - very funny.
- Lupino Lane, old time star, father of Ida Lupino,not terribly well known, I am sure, but she made it to Hollywood
- mark shaw out of then jericho and the bloke out of gay dad,also one of the hunks off the graham norton show
- I hear that John, Paul, George and ringo once played the Bingo Hall on Mitcham Road.
- The div who reckoned that Tony Drago played snooker "down at the Mayfair" surely means Zans Billiard and Snooker Hall (formerly The Temperance Billard Hall) Lynwood Road. Jimmy White played there. The Mayfair used to be a cinema; sadly, it's now a branch of The Bank of Baroda, where women have their own side entrance... check it out, sisters!
- BB's Wall Mounter Sandy - Tooting & proud - I even saw him looking at the 'Music specialist' stand in broadway market!!!
- An article in the Evening Standard on 11 July 2002 alleged that both Zadie Smith and Amanda Ryan live in Tooting.
- tony sealbe,lived on rectory lane.
- Jimmy White, and two bob palace striker Clinton Morrison
- Kitchens of Distinction
- Janet Hargreaves (Eastenders)
- Eamon Holmes and Leslie Ash/Lee Chapman live on Massingberd Way.
- the geezer on sky sports.com,dont know his name
Nick Hancock the bloke on "they think its all over"
- Sure there are some but due to paranoia they dont make
- Jimmy White, the Snooker Player, used to drink in the Kings Arms
- Wolfie Smith and Paul Merton
- Tony Drago plays Snooker down at the Mayfair
- Louis de Bernieres (he of Captain Correlli fame)
- Jo Brand used to work at St George's
- Sir Harry Lauder (famous Edwardian Scottish music hall star) lived in Tooting.
- Harry Lauder (Music Hall artiste) Wolfie out of Citizen Smith (Fiction) Someone out of Eddie Readers Band.
- Paul Daniels
- Sorry to misinform you but Louis de Bernieres never lived in Tooting but in Earlsfied. Take it on my very good authority ....
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Mark H, Ruth, simon, J Dempsey, Graham & Vale, harp, Ellen, j./, crikeymiles, rob dob, Lim Teck Hong, Gareth, Emma, jon ryan, keith walsh, john gallinari, Andy N, Dave, Vikas, John Goodwin, Danny O, Lachie, Pete Feenstra, richard, pollobarca, Dave W, orla Hickey, graham, Bob Forsberg, nick m, Karen, Gordon Miller, raj santoshi, Oli Else, michael, Oakesy, Sam Gibson, Rahim Nathwani, Reena, Anonymous, Frances(Shaw)Sartori, beth, lewis, ian, Kev, bruce, nav, Sharon Gifford, Grumlin, tommy hopper, Helen, marian meacock, Ash Akhtar, Sue, chilly, strauss, generic, Aisha, Gavin Boyd, jim lee, Lola Gonzalez, barbara, Mary, James Bateman, n, Alison, superkitty, James Dinsdale, jack king, Robert Barber, Clones
Last updated: 2014-05-21
More stuff about Tooting
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Tooting Knowhere Board