Cheap Food in Witney, Oxfordshire*
Corner eateries, quick bites and the local chippy
You can tell us more about Witney.
- Smarts Fish and Chips!
- Asia,cracking chinese take away, and the multiple kebab vans on a saturday night
- The doner kepab van back at waitroses. hey why not? it was on the way home.
the fish and chip place on market square. not that cheap, but best for money.
the burger bar in west end. the BEST egg hamburger you can buy, second best from making one yourself staggering in at 2am.
- mack donalds!!!!!!!
- Bistro 35 is by far the best place to eat.......i should know as i work there! does freshly made food and it's all fantastic!
- Your information is completely out of date regarding restaurants. The Wimpey disappeared several years ago, the Tamarind Bay is now Zenuk, and a very good restaurant, The Fleece on the Green has opened providing excellent food in contemporary surroundings. It's really annoying when information on various web sites isn't kept up to date.
- Lot's of indian take aways across witney, couple of kebab and pizza shops. a few chip shops. 3 or four restauraunts and some chinese. no Wimpy anymore!! :( but a drive thru maccie D's out of the centre. Question you can get pizza, indian and chips delivered but there doesn't appear to be a chinese that delivers correct me if I'm wrong!!
- Best take-away is either Asia on Corn Street for chinese or American fast food on CornStreet for all kinds of everything at very reasonable prices. Gino's Italian in Waterloo Walk is far superior to any other supposed Italian in Witney being authentic, with better service, no prepacked pasta dishes and even better the most gorgeous Italian waiters/waitresses! If you can stretch to it The Fleece is now quite trendy and cosmopolitan but a bit of a treat!
- Bistro 35 always used to be nice when I lived in Witney, well I have to say that really as I used to work there, but I'm not lying! I havent been for ages but give it a try I think the same people are still there
- Great new Italian called "Gino's" has been open about a year (2002) much better than ASK! Find the Curry Paradise and look on the opposite side of the road. Accessed via an alley-way. Excellent food. Need to book though for the weekend as it's very popular and VERY GOOD!
- HUSH excellant atmosphere excellant food
- "RTS ISH URANT" is how Witney's premier Maltese-owned chippy and restaurant, Smarts, advertises itself. Providing scraps for every pigeon and mangy dog in the neighbourhood, Smarts is little short of an institution. Even more amusing than the mysterious fashion in which its prices appear be in Turkish Lira is the charmingly illiterate rendition of the names of various maritime snacks.
Speaking of Turkish, we have the Kebab House on Corn Street, owned by a tiny Danny De Vito-lookalike who once attempted to get me to give him piano lessons. Not that his stubby fingers would have been up to the job; they were better suited to making the genuinely fantastic pizza della casa. Great
Gino's Italian restaurant has a sister branch in Oxford and is owned and run by yer genuine Italians. The food is delicious and high-quality, yet affordable, and it's roughly £10 a head for a 2/3 course meal and drinks. However, do not try the House White. You will find yourself asking how they got the cat to sit on the bottle. The house Red is also not much cop, seemingly composed of dust. Their Tiramisu is, however, peerless, as is their Puttanesca sauce.
If it's watery Pizze and rapidly browning salad you want, go to hip, trendy ASK. A chain which, in Witney, is staffed by a mixture of somewhat dodgy immmigrants (the management) and bright young things (the staff) it's an airy, spacious hang-out for the chattering classes. The food's expensive and not much cop, but at least the service is friendly. If you know any of the staff, you discover the somewhat incestuous atmosphere of the place. All I can say is that you should never under any circumstances lean on the bar. What hapenned there is too revolting for words.
- Gino's Restaurant behind waterloo walk is a lovely little Italian place, reasonable prices and good food. Bistro 35 (High Street) a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for - v. nice. Shaan is a nicely decorated Indian restaurant on Corn Street but Shapla and Curry Paradise (both High Street) are also lovely indian food. The Boot at Barnard Gate is a nice place to eat on a special occasion - only about 3 miles from Witney.
- Shapla has been refurbished & much improved, definitely worth a try. New Bangladeshi takeaway on Thorney Leys (by Burwell Hall) is also very good.
- For the best Kebab in town, try Smarts Fish n' Chip shop in the market square.
- Go to Cross Keys. Cheap food, beer and you can smoke. Everywhere else is for people who are old
- Bistro 35 IS a restaurant ~ Witney should be pleased to have somewhere like this. If you've never tried it , don't knock it, just go there.Enjoy. ...and TOP coffees.
- There are three restuarnts in Witney, Bistro 35, Norton's and by far and way the best ASK (I should know, I work there)And for the record we are an Italian restaurant and so no we don't sell chips!!!!!!!
- I don't think "Rosstifer", or any off the other locals, would last 5 minutes without the "Lady who sells Hotdogs" just outside of Martins Newsagents!
10 out of 10, thumbs up and all....
- Any is Cool, house Of Wongs on the High street, doors Open Untill 3:00am ish.
- New restaurant, ASK has opened. Although it is cheap you don't get much for your money - especially if you order the Tomato & Onion Salad! So don't!
New Indian restaurant down Corn Street, Tamarind Bay down the bottom end of town.
- THE THREE HORSESHOES and THE NEW INN both serve excellent food, and are excellent value for money.
- The Curry Paradise, The Old Coffee Shop.
- Witney is a complete food lay out
- We have one of the few Wimpy's in the country and a number of fabby kebab vans.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Phoebe, Derek, Juliette Sheridan, Steve Wilkinson, Karen Wiles, James Ridgers, Laura Chambers, Lucy, sylvia, Jac, Jim, Angela Little, Lott"99"., Paul Freeman, Becky, JC, euan, Jesus Arkwright, dave, Kimberly Pinker, Melanie Johnstone, Pete Dorward, Simon Hall, Grant Dawson, Tom, Ryhan Clarke, adam, Andrew, Pete, Debbie Warner, Richard, norb, UglyTony, Robin Yates, Serena Martin, vanessa, Denise Beaumont, Lee Rainbow, Gemma, Jane, Mike C, phil oneill, Darren Smith, Rachel Ealey, Anne Harris, tim lovegrove, Eleanr Reid, luke fry, Bill, Andi Currie, Adrian Gargan, DDavies, john, Pete Henn, Jim Hudson, generic, DELloyd, Paul Long, adam robitsons, PmB, Sam, Jen, lucy willows, ashley partlett, RICHARD KAYE, PJ Dorward, V, Angela, Row, Shelley Barlow, sylv, Hannah, Jason, m, Lee Adams, JCFW, Bryan channon, Gavin, john Marketingq
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Witney
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Witney Knowhere Board